Removing paint from G button-Turns out its not paint at all! Details inside
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Removing paint from G button-Turns out its not paint at all! Details inside

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing paint from G button-Turns out its not paint at all! Details inside

Trying to finish "stealthing" my GW-7900 and was wondering if anyone has been successful removing the paint from the G button or if the only thing to do is to paint over it?
    Last edited by woodt3; July 29th, 2013 at 19:11.

Re: Removing paint from G button

Since when does a G have painted pushers?Do you mean chrome? You can paint over the chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by James Haury View Post
    Since when does a G have painted pushers?Do you mean chrome? You can paint over the chrome.
    Some models DO have painted "G" buttons that activate the backlight: G7900 Series - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

Casio Men's G7900-1 G-Shock Rescue Digital Sport Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

As far as removing the "stock" paint, take a look around this forum, the FAQ and Tutorial section for the "how to's," and BE CAREFUL!

Some of the solvents that people use on bezels will melt the different kind of plastic that the "5th button" is made of -- acetone (and nail polish removers containing acetone) WILL melt that button, as I recall, but I seem to recall that there are others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I found out the hard way, I knew goof off would but even acetone nailpolish remover did a bit, non acetone remover seems to have caused the button to have a white film even after washing. I searched the forums, and how to's. No definitive answer, just lots of cautionary advice, but no success stories of anyone removing the paint

Ouch - sorry to hear about the damage to YOUR "G button!"

I thought I'd seen a "stealth" thread a while back where someone had managed to remove the paint from one of those buttons, but....

I just found what I think is that thread, and they did in fact wind up painting over the original paint. (If there IS a thread about how to do it, I'm not finding it either.)

I should've just painted over it and left it alone, but since the acetone nail polish started reacting with G button, I immediately put it in water and minimized the damage. I was then cleaning up the button with 2000 grit sand paper, which makes it sound worse than it is, the end result is a faded black g button, still fully functional, although still with the "G". In the process though, I figured out why. The "G" in the button is not paint, it is in fact plastic, set into the surrounding plastic. I know, sounds crazy, but it is. I can't take a picture well enough to prove it though. Moral is, paint over your G buttons people! A lesson learned and then watch is still fully functional, and with only slight cosmetic damage. Next, I'm thinking hydromod since the auto EL seems to come on all the time anyway. Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by woodt3 View Post
    I should've just painted over it and left it alone....
    Maybe, but since you didn't know then what we all know NOW!

In the process though, I figured out why. The "G" in the button is not paint, it is in fact plastic, set into the surrounding plastic. I know, sounds crazy, but it is. I can't take a picture well enough to prove it though. Moral is, paint over your G buttons people! A lesson learned and then watch is still fully functional, and with only slight cosmetic damage.
    That DOES sound a little crazy, but maybe Casio did it that way so that a paint in the recesses of the button won't start to chip and flake after several years of use?

It also explains THE REASON why many people have tried to remove the paint (that isn't there) and failed as a result -- hopefully future modders can be pointed at this thread and know exactly WHY it's better to paint over the button!

Glad to hear that the damage was minor, at least, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Some models DO have painted "G" buttons that activate the backlight: G7900 Series - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

Casio Men's G7900-1 G-Shock Rescue Digital Sport Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

As far as removing the "stock" paint, take a look around this forum, the FAQ and Tutorial section for the "how to's," and BE CAREFUL!

Some of the solvents that people use on bezels will melt the different kind of plastic that the "5th button" is made of -- acetone (and nail polish removers containing acetone) WILL melt that button, as I recall, but I seem to recall that there are others.
    MY mistake I have too many watches so I don't use my G much.

The final damage: (ignore the super glue around the screws, I put a drop under each one, waited a few minutes for it to dry, evidently not long enough, and it leaked around the screw, cleaning that up will be tomorrow's task.) Not sure if the picture shows it but the "G" is now higher than the rest of the button, not sure why acetone doesn't affect it, only the rest of the button.

Name:  FQJr9Q6l.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  36.8 KBName:  PIAi4uLl.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  32.2 KB

The final damage: (ignore the super glue around the screws, I put a drop under each one, waited a few minutes for it to dry, evidently not long enough, and it leaked around the screw, cleaning that up will be tomorrow's task.) Not sure if the picture shows it but the "G" is now higher than the rest of the button, not sure why acetone doesn't affect it, only the rest of the button.
    Might I suggest a modification to the thread title for future users? Something like: "Removing paint from G button: Ack! It's not paint!!"
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information