The replica/fake market

Thread: The replica/fake market

The replica/fake market

Being relitivly new to G's in general, although I have always admired them, I never knew there were so many fake's on the scene.

I collect a few other things, sporting goods, music, and every market seems to be flooded with fakes. I tend to be able to spot a fake a mile away, but some of the G's that I have seen (and recently been stung by a fake too) is incredible.

Seeing an article on fakes recently, some of the pictures posted which are merely described as "a Fake Gxxxx" (without giving any defining reasons as to why) is rediculous.

I can see why these fake traders are making a living, I certainly cannot tell every fake from a real just yet. At the moment though, I seem to be suspicious of every pre-owned G out there.

Scary, just scary.

I am going to purchase from reputable dealers from now on!

Probably the safest way to approach a new hobby is to only deal with approved sources. Unfortunately it becomes a bit harder when you're looking for NOS or deadstock items.
    Watchshock Collection (minus a few models that are missing from the website):
    http://watchshock.com/collection/3498/

Re: The replica/fake market

The problem with Fake products on the market is pretty old. Before around 2000 the fake G-Shocks were pretty poor and did only look like them from a far distance. With a fake G-2000FL (black) appearing around 2004 it became harder to see what is real or fake. Also a large bunch of fake DW-8200 Frogman appeared on the market and I believe that is where it went wrong. A few years later fake Bape models (often marketed an "Ape model" or "G-Shock with an ape in the backlight", to avoid being found by people trying to eliminate fake products sales and auctions) hit the market. They are produced in huge masses, which makes it difficult to trace down the source as they seem to be sold everywhere.

Best is to avoid "too good to be true" sales and auctions and indeed, if possible, buy from trusted sellers. You'll find probably a lot of them here on this forum. Be extreme careful with brand collaborations. If it is not an official G-Shock release (like the Bape, Stüssy), try to buy it only from a brand exclusive store. Specially a fake DW-6900 is not easily to spot and nowadays sellers use photo's of the real product to market their fake products.

Kind regards,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CFF

try find a fake with true wave-ceptor and tough-solar !

usually they are years behind with the high tech stuff.

and like Sjors said, you can pretty much distinguish fakes from

1: wierd non-OE color combos ( that's if you actually have the knowledge of color combos of em all!)
    2: collabos that are ultra rare but selling very cheaply
    3: very very cheap ones

chris

here is my feedback: CFF, Best Seller Ever!

Thanks all

I am learning more about spotting fakes everyday, so it's becoming easier and easier. Although there are some black versions which I would never have been able to tell.

There are a few on ebay US right now that are low BIN's and look brand new.... I guess if its too good to be true.....

is this likely to be fake cause it seems remarkably cheap...
    Casio Watch Black Classic G-Shock DW-5600E-1V DW-5600 | eBay

CFF

Quote Originally Posted by roscotanna View Post
    is this likely to be fake cause it seems remarkably cheap...
    Casio Watch Black Classic G-Shock DW-5600E-1V DW-5600 | eBay

looks legit to me. no offence to DW-5600 owners ( i have two) they are pretty much the cheapest G-shock stock.

here is my feedback: CFF, Best Seller Ever!

Fortaleza, Brazil. "The land of the sun" 30C /86F , all year long...

I had a fake dw-5000 in 1984 that used to sing melodies ( around 7 different ones).... So fake Gs is just as old has the real ones....

Site seeing last saturday in downtown area where i live in, a saw many fake gx-056 with all types of color variations.... very impressive fakes i must say, for around 15 USD ( 40 reais).

Here some picture of fake Gs that i have seen lately:

Name:  g-shock_replicas.JPG
Views: 1843
Size:  454.2 KB

I was not too happy with this thread in the 1st place. We have the Fake G-Shock Report sub forum where people can warn others or ask about stuff they saw online, but a general discussion about fakes IMO violates forum rules.

Thread closed.

Cheers, Sedi

Thread Information