Resin Marathon watches vs Gshock?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Resin Marathon watches vs Gshock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Resin Marathon watches vs Gshock?

How do the Resin Marathon watches (quartz) compare to G shocks in terms of durability?

I most likely will pick up a Gshock digital of some kind, but just for curiosity's sake I figure Id post the question.

thanks,
    KS

Re: Resin Marathon watches vs Gshock?

I don’t have a Marathon. But I have a “carbon reinforced polymer carbon compound” (plastic) case Luminox. I’ve beat the hell out of it and it still looks new.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Thanks, Brandon.

Anybody own both? Im sure theres a few out there...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some of the Marathon watches, like the General Purpose quartz, are only 30m water resistant. It does have tritium, but 220 bucks?

Good point Fergfour. Im wondering why they cost so much, I havent seen one in person. Some folks seem to go bonkers over them, but stats wise they seem way overpriced. I was thinking maybe they are just very robust. Tritium isnt that big of a deal, My SKX doesnt have it and its lume is just fine!

If you are referring to the 30M water resistant field watches, they are not very durable at all.
    Warden504 likes this.
    ShockMister

Their "demand" comes from the fact that they were used in military service, or, at least built for that purpose. But you will find much better quality in Casio, Timex, etc, for a fraction of the price.
    Warden504 likes this.
    ShockMister

And I personally did own the 30M plastic version without the bezel. Seriously, it was not durable at all. More along the lines of a Timex easy reader dress watch. I would have preferred the one with the bezel which might have been slightly better, but a few years ago they were priced significantly less than they are now. So they have risen in price due to their military legacy, and going out of production. But the specifications are bare bones in terms of water resistance or durability. Maybe slightly above a dress watch.

I actually thought the steel version with bezel would have been really cool. But even it was not nearly as durable or water resistant as a real dive watch, such as the Benrus Types 1 or 2, which were used in the military during Vietnam.
    Warden504 likes this.
    ShockMister

I own both types. Many G-Shocks & two of the plastic cased Marathons. The General Purpose model and the Navigator type model. I ordered them both at the same time because I fell in love with their looks. The feel of them, however, is very cheap. They can call the case material whatever fancy name they want, but it just feels like cheap plastic. This combines with the poor WR (30M on the GP & 50M on the Navigator) perhaps due to the cheap 'snap back' caseback. They both have acrylic (plastic) crystals which attributes to the cheap feel. And I don't equate acrylic with cheapness. I prefer them actually due to the ease of scratch removal (just some toothpaste works wonders). My beloved Omega Speedy Pro wears acrylic and some of my others, but the crystals on the Marathons feels far different. Probably the thickness difference perhaps. Reviews are plenty that mention the tritium tubes falling off the hands leaving them to roll around the dial.

As everyone else said, get yourself a G-Shock. Far more durable and better quality of feel, even in the least expensive of models. The Marathons simply feel like a disposable watch. If your hung up on Tritium (which is very cool don't me wrong), get yourself a Luminox. Have owned several and quality is far better.
    Miklos86 likes this.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. Now, I just have to decide which G to get! Thanks for setting me straight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information