Resin Rot-Jelly Yellowing

Thread: Resin Rot-Jelly Yellowing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Resin Rot-Jelly Yellowing

The thread about wearing or not wearing LE models got me thinking...does resin rot affect unworn watches or is it from exposure to sweat, sunblock, UV rays etc? What about jelly yellowing? Do the jellies last longer than regular watches?

My old DW 6900 seemed fine until I started using a spray on sunblock; it was hard not to get overspray on the watch when I applied it. Perhaps it was a coincidence, but the band got soft and gooey soon after that. The watch was around ten or more years old at that point though, so it could have been age.

Re: Resin Rot-Jelly Yellowing

Quote Originally Posted by manxman8 View Post
    The thread about wearing or not wearing LE models got me thinking...does resin rot affect unworn watches
    Almost certainly, but at a slower rate than one which is worn.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I remember reading in some Casio watch manual or another that some lotions and sunscreans are not good for the resin. Maybe due to the age of the watch the resin was already on the way out anyway.

On jellies though, I've owned a few vintage clear ones that were still very clear. I'mn sure with wear, and exposure to sunlight and a body's sweat that it would begin to yellow over time. Simple solution is to go with a jelly that's already colored or dye it later down the road.

Kev

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally I wear G-Shocks because they are nearly indestructible, and I actually do like the look.

However, even though I may get attached to a certain watch. I LOVED my Gaussman! I think it is important to realize that despite G-Shocks being able to survive every knock you could dish at them, they are never going to be 200 year old heirlooms. Even if the resin survived, something electronic would fail and there would be no way to manufacture a replacement.

Personally, I just tend to wear them almost to the point I ignore the watches existance. With a G-Shock I never worry about knocking it, scratching it, getting sunscreen on it...

you could always buy a replacement band & bezel set, just in case.

perfectlykevin, glad to hear your old jellies are still clear. cunawarit, I think you are thinking correctly, since the watches will eventually rot themselves out and we can assume at some point new bezels and such will no longer be available, it is probably best to enjoy them as wearable collectibles rather than keeping them as heirlooms. Good advice lee172, would be nice to be able to freshen the watch later down the road. I was on the fence regarding the 5025 jelly. Not because of style, I love the look of it, just not sure if I wanted a watch that would yellow right away. Hopefully one will end up in my little G collection soon.

I have a couple NOS clear jellies from 1998 that were never really opened or worn. They have a very slight yellowish tinge, but there was no noticeable degradation. I took the band and bezel off of one last month to dye, and the resin was still very supple.

Pulled up this old post cuz I came across an interesting article on Make magazine about unyellowing plastic:
    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...C-0D6B48984890

I wonder if this solution would work on yellowed jelly resin?

Bluegum had suggested using 3% hydrogen peroxide on this thread (so he was on target):
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...t=yellow+resin

Make suggests to mix that with Oxi laundy booster (and then to add gel so as to let it stay on whatever you're tring to unyellow) and then to leave the item under blacklight or sunlight (any UV light actually) to help activate the ingredients.

Any chemists on this thread care to chime in?

EDIT: I might give this shot on an old DW-520 I have as soon as I get all the ingredients. I also have interest in this as I'd like to get my wife an ICERC Gulfie but am put off by the thought of how it'd look after it yellows...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
    Pulled up this old post cuz I came across an interesting article on Make magazine about unyellowing plastic:

Bluegum had suggested using 3% hydrogen peroxide on this thread (so he was on target):

Make suggests to mix that with Oxi laundy booster (and then to add gel so as to let it stay on whatever you're tring to unyellow) and then to leave the item under blacklight or sunlight (any UV light actually) to help activate the ingredients.

EDIT: I might give this shot on an old DW-520 I have as soon as I get all the ingredients. I also have interest in this as I'd like to get my wife an ICERC Gulfie but am put off by the thought of how it'd look after it yellows...

Tim
    This is really interesting indeed!

Please make sure to post pictures and result of your experiment!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post

Tim
    If this works, Tim, you'd be quite popular with a lot of GG owners!

Hope your experiment is successful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information