WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Resin rot for newer models?

4K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  bluegum 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if the Polyurothene (PU) used in current models has been improved since the original G?

Do you think Casio has changed the formula such that we won't have "resin rot" in 20 years for current models?

or should I stock up on spare parts:)

#4 ·
Is the GW5600J the new and improved resin?

#7 ·
My mother-in-law must have had facial resin injections back in the day. You should see her face...talk about rotting. :rodekaart If anyone has seen the movie Throw Mamma From the Train starring Danny Devito, then you get the picture of what she looks like. :)

#8 ·
Does anyone know if the Polyeurothene (PU) used in current models has been improved since the original G?
Probably.

Do you think Casio has changed the formula such that we won't have "resin rot" in 20 years for current models?
No.

or should I stock up on spare parts:)
Only if you can be sure you'll be wanting to keep an existing watch for ten or twenty years. Other than 'cabinet collectors' few of us do that.

#12 ·
I wonder if the new generation mudman (G-9000) is prone to resin rot.
As much as any other, I imagine.

How about wiping a coat of Armour All from time to time would prevent this kind of disaster in the future?
I know that the use of this stuff has been quite controversial in auto circles. Some say it increases the degradation of materials, others disagree. I don't know the truth of it, but would be inclined to be cautious. You could probably Google pages of debate on the subject if you want to enquire further.

Rinsing resin with water and then drying is all you can reasonably do, I think.

#14 ·
@tribe125
Oh no! I hope it's not true. One cause of resin rot is UV damage that's why I used Armor All in the straps of my Protrek PRG-50.. it's been a year of religious coating.. so far so good. If current resins made by Casio have some sort of UV protection, then resin rot might be a thing of the past..

#15 ·
@tribe125
Oh no! I hope it's not true. One cause of resin rot is UV damage that's why I used Armor All in the straps of my Protrek PRG-50.. it's been a year of religious coating.. so far so good. If current resins made by Casio have some sort of UV protection, then resin rot might be a thing of the past..
Well, as I say, I don't know the truth of it. I did once spend (or waste ;-)) quite a bit of time reading up on it, but that was a while ago, and I've forgotten half of it.

I think resin will always deteriorate. I recall Sjors describing the chemical nature of the compound, and over time (even if a relatively long time) degradation (a kind of 'drying out') is inevitable. I hope I've remembered that right...

#22 ·
Better late than never.

I would suppose that, unless Casio has changed the formulation, 'new' resin has the same issues as 'old' resin. Maybe one reason I prefer bracelets. Not as many issues there.

#23 ·
I'm of an age where the life of the resin in my G-Shocks is less of a worry then the fact that one of my hips has just worn out ! :think: It's a blooming sight easier to replace a strap and bezel than what I'm going to be going though in a few weeks when they replace that for me ........... :-x .......... :-d

#26 ·
I also heard theories that Gs should be worn regularly,
then they wont harden/break apart so fast?

I wonder how true is that?

I did have an old casio illuminator that
I forgot about , stored away in a drawer,
When I took it out years later,
the strap was covered in some sort of
oil, ( it was a cheap 3rd party strap,
the orginal gave out due to wear and
tear, high school days :-d ), but the
main watch body was intact.

But my father had an old DW-5000 like
casio, and the resin just crumbled/broke
apart after many years...

#27 ·
fyi you should not get bug repelent on resin :-( it stains.

my DW-5700 lasted for over 15 years before resin rot :-( :-( its still running with the orignal battery :roll: just need to replace bezel and strap, orignal bezel no longer avaible.:-(

to help the life of my Gs I now wash whatever G I have worn that day with just a bit of hand soap and lots water and dry off. dont want any sweat / oil to stay on any longer than it has to :)

#28 ·
fyi you should not get bug repelent on resin :-( it stains.

my DW-5700 lasted for over 15 years before resin rot :-( :-( its still running with the orignal battery :roll: just need to replace bezel and strap, orignal bezel no longer avaible.:-(

to help the life of my Gs I now wash whatever G I have worn that day with just a bit of hand soap and lots water and dry off. dont want any sweat / oil to stay on any longer than it has to :)
15yrs! That's an efficient battery! :-!

And good advice on the washing!
Do you leave the G out in the sun to dry or under shade?
I leave mine out under direct sunlight,
i wonder is that bad in the long run? :think:

#31 ·
I think, as others have already mentioned, that there is a process called hydrolosis (iirc) which is a breakdown over time of the resin compound bonds where the resin begins to crumble initially along the stress lines. I believe resin is more prone to this process when it isn't regularly used, so you should wear your resin G's regularly to keep them supple and help stop that brittle, stiffening process from accelerating.

Again, avoid direct contact with all chemicals like sunscreen and bug repellants. I even recall that soaps are worth avoiding as well as they can accelerate the deterioration of resin. I suspect a good alternative if required, is bicarb soda to clean up a badly soiled G.

Having said all that, my recently departed dad used to be a chemical engineer who worked for a tyre company many years ago (Dunlop iirc), and he said the quality of the rubbers make a huge difference in the longevity and functionality of a product. This is very pronounced in good quality car tyres.

In theory, if Casio are using a very high quality rubber in their watches, they should last the life time of the watch with reasonable maintanence (ie. regular cleaning and wearing). I suspect Casio resin quality varies greatly, with very cheap models possessing much weaker resin than expensive models like the Japan made MTG's and Frogs...just my guess though. :think:

#34 ·
I think, as others have already mentioned, that there is a process called hydrolosis (iirc) which is a breakdown over time of the resin compound bonds where the resin begins to crumble initially along the stress lines. I believe resin is more prone to this process when it isn't regularly used, so you should wear your resin G's regularly to keep them supple and help stop that brittle, stiffening process from accelerating.

Again, avoid direct contact with all chemicals like sunscreen and bug repellants. I even recall that soaps are worth avoiding as well as they can accelerate the deterioration of resin. I suspect a good alternative if required, is bicarb soda to clean up a badly soiled G.

Having said all that, my recently departed dad used to be a chemical engineer who worked for a tyre company many years ago (Dunlop iirc), and he said the quality of the rubbers make a huge difference in the longevity and functionality of a product. This is very pronounced in good quality car tyres.

In theory, if Casio are using a very high quality rubber in their watches, they should last the life time of the watch with reasonable maintanence (ie. regular cleaning and wearing). I suspect Casio resin quality varies greatly, with very cheap models possessing much weaker resin than expensive models like the Japan made MTG's and Frogs...just my guess though. :think:
Sorry to hear about your dad blue.

#32 ·

;-) quite frankly, I don't think that far into the future when I buy watches...20 years is a loooong time for me :-d I just enjoy my watches ( the here and now) and wear them as beaters ...if they drop dead ..I move on ...:-d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.