Resin watch bands...your thoughts?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Resin watch bands...your thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Resin watch bands...your thoughts?

Hi, I am a fan of Casio digital watches but I am not a huge fan of the resin watch bands that come with them. I understand part of the rationale is to keep the watches affordable (which is a good thing). However (this is personal opinion of course), most of the resin bands I look at on G-shocks and other Casio make the the watch look unnecessarily cheap (there are a few exceptions).

Some Casio models are relatively easy to replace the band with something better (PAW2000 for example that takes a standard 22mm band) others are not.

Just curious how you all feel about it. I don't intend to insult anyone who loves the resin bands, one thing I know is key on these forums is "to each their own" and there are no absolutes when it comes to personal taste.

But, going from the stock resin band on the PAW2000 and replacing it with a better quality better band (without a bunch of writing on it) I feel has made the watch look more substantial and I find it more comfortable to wear. I think Casio could improve the watch bands on many of their watches without adding too much cost. There are a few models with other kinds of bands but those seem rare.

The only positive I personally feel about the resin bands is they are pretty durable and you don't care what happens to them. So if your watch is mainly for really hard use I could see why you might not care.

Just curious how my fellow Casio / G-shock lovers feel about this question.

Re: Resin watch bands...your thoughts?

I am a big fan of using a bracelet (depending on which model you are talking about--for some it won't work). I like Casio's combi bracelet (this is the bracelet for the GW-6900BC, but it fits on any DW-5600E, GW-5000, DW-6900, GW-6900, and others). I feel this makes the watch look less cheap and also adds to the toughness and durability (all bases covered). The bracelet is around $70-$100 though, so not cheap to buy.

OCDood, pocky, El Gato and 2 others like this.

Funny you should mention it, I just finished looking at a bracelet for my incoming GW3500. At approximately $150 it cost almost as much as the watch, so that's not a viable option. Better to buy a whole different watch with a bracelet.

I'm not a big fan of the resin straps. I hated the strap that came on my G-511, it ruined the whole look of the watch with the bullbars and everything. A bracelet transformed it into a beast and improved the watch 1000%. They didn't ship it with the end pieces and it was a nightmare getting everything I needed for it, but well worth it now that it's done:

The strap on my DW-6900FSAS has a snake theme to it so I don't suppose I'll be switching that either, but that's another instance where the bracelet cost almost as much as the watch.

I think I saw the pix of your Casio with mesh bracelet and liked it a lot. I use what looks like the same type bracelet on several of my other watches at a fraction of the price of a Casio SS bracelet.
    Last edited by OCDood; December 29th, 2013 at 17:03.
    El Gato and nigelw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
    The only positive I personally feel about the resin bands is they are pretty durable and you don't care what happens to them. So if your watch is mainly for really hard use I could see why you might not care.
    Exactly. But for a dress watch I would want a good bracelet.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    I am a big fan of using a bracelet (depending on which model you are talking about--for some it won't work). I like Casio's combi bracelet (this is the bracelet for the GW-6900BC, but it fits on any DW-5600E, GW-5000, DW-6900, GW-6900, and others). I feel this makes the watch look less cheap and also adds to the toughness and durability (all bases covered). The bracelet is around $70-$100 though, so not cheap to buy.

I've thought about splurging on a bracelet for my GW-5000. How's the comfort compared to the pliable standard 5000 strap?
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I've thought about splurging on a bracelet for my GW-5000. How's the comfort compared to the pliable standard 5000 strap?
    It is comfortable once you have it sized just right. Nothing is more comfortable than the GW-5000 original strap though. I just feel that a tough, steel cased watch deserves a tough-feeling strap or bracelet to balance it out. The way the GW-5000 comes standard feels a little strange to me, because the case is so heavy and hard and the band is so light and soft and airy.

For the most part, I'm fairly happy with the stock resin straps on G-Shocks. As noted above, they're designed to be durable and inexpensive, and since most G's with resin bezels ARE designed for "hard use" resin straps are a good fit. Resin straps are waterproof as well, which makes sense for a watch rated for 200m water resistance.

I find the stock strap on the DW-5600 to be relatively thin and cheap-looking, but the stock straps on my DW-6600 and GW-6900 are more substantial, the rounded one on the GW-2310 is even thicker, and even the textured one the GW-5600J looks and feels more substantial than the "basic" 5600. The double-tanged strap on my GW-9000 feels like it's going out of it's way to be "tougher" than the rest, but I'm not sure if it really is.

All that being said, I hated the way the stock strap on my GW-6900 fit my wrist, and went out of my way to find alternatives. I finally settled on strap adapters with Zulu straps and find them more comfortable and somewhat more substantial looking. The downside is that I have had them "wear out" much faster than the stock resin strap has on other G's, and a "desk diving" friend had the PVD coating chip off every single piece of hardware on his Zulu-equipped GW-6900.

Right now I'm experimenting with a non-glossy leather Zulu strap in the hopes that it will "weather" quickly and look more at home on a G-Shock:

Name:  6900 leather zoom.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  77.5 KB

I think the strap needs to be subjected to quite a few more showers, and a couple of weeks or so of sunshine and swimming pool chlorine to get that "lived-in" look that leather jackets get after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    I hated the strap that came on my G-511, it ruined the whole look of the watch with the bullbars and everything. A bracelet transformed it into a beast and improved the watch 1000%. They didn't ship it with the end pieces and it was a nightmare getting everything I needed for it, but well worth it now that it's done:
    I didn't look at the watchbands.com site back in July -- why would I when I knew of another place that had the end pieces? -- but the webpage for that bracelet now specifically says "NOTE: END COVERS # 10099723 & 10099724 SOLD SEPARATELY." It's possible that your headaches caused them to change that description so other people won't go through the same problem.

On the other hand, if you had bought your bracelet from PacParts instead, they wouldn't have automatically sold you the end pieces either. It seems like a lot of these parts suppliers cater to jewelers who know exactly which replacement parts they need, not hobbyists trying to modify watches as we like to do around here!

Resin straps were one of the reasons I started buying G-shocks

Rubber is (was) my favourite type of strap on mechanical or analog watches. When I saw most of the g-shocks come with resin strap, it was a done deal for me.

Not a fan of bracelets, too difficult to find really comfortable one and not a fan of standard croc shiny straps. I like thick vintage leather straps, but that's another story.
    idkfa likes this.

I personally love resin bands on non-dress watches. They are comfortable during physical activities and look good enough for most occasions. I don't like any kind of writing or markings on bands however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a hater. I've owned a ton of Gs - Frogmans, Risemans, Gulfmans, Giez, screwbacks, etc. - and flipped them all because of the resin strap. They just feel crummy to me.

I currently have 5 G-Shocks, 4 of which are on bracelets and one strapped model that I just wear when riding my bike. The strap seems to work OK for that purpose.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information