resizing strap on edifice

Thread: resizing strap on edifice

resizing strap on edifice

Ok so my new casio edifice just arrived and its a bit big. I know that i could just go down to a dealer to get it resized but as im getting quite into watches its something i would like to learn to do myself. So my question is will the blue plastic tool i have seen used on a lot of videos online work to resize the straps?

Play.com - Buy Trixes 16 Piece Watch Repair And Wrist Strap Adjuster Tool Kit online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe! - that blue thing on the left

The model is the 545D if that helps

Cheers
    Robm612

Re: resizing strap on edifice

The blue thing on the left is simply a precision 'pusher', in that it will push out an adjusting pin if the bracelet has them. I've adjusted bracelets for years without one (i use an old brass dart - sharpened to an appropriate point), though I suppose a proper one would be nice to use.

I'm not familiar with the type of bracelet on your watch, so don't know how the links are held together. Some are simply held together with internal spring bars which are quite easy to manipulate. To be honest, if you've never done it before, I'm not sure I would be starting on a brand new shiny watch! The potential for slippage, scratching, and injury is very real!

However, I suppose you gotta start somewhere. Hopefully, you'll get a WUS member along soon with specific knowledge of this bracelet. There have also been some excellent tutorials on this on YouTube, but for the life of me, I can't find the links I once had saved...sorry.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    The blue thing on the left is simply a precision 'pusher', in that it will push out an adjusting pin if the bracelet has them. I've adjusted bracelets for years without one (i use an old brass dart - sharpened to an appropriate point), though I suppose a proper one would be nice to use.

I'm not familiar with the type of bracelet on your watch, so don't know how the links are held together. Some are simply held together with internal spring bars which are quite easy to manipulate. To be honest, if you've never done it before, I'm not sure I would be starting on a brand new shiny watch! The potential for slippage, scratching, and injury is very real!

However, I suppose you gotta start somewhere. Hopefully, you'll get a WUS member along soon with specific knowledge of this bracelet. There have also been some excellent tutorials on this on YouTube, but for the life of me, I can't find the links I once had saved...sorry.
    Thanks as you said its a brand new watch hence i was going to get that tool as im hoping it will reduce the risk of scratching etc. The bracelet has arrows on the inside does this mean it is a push pin bracelet or could it still be a screw one?

I''l take some pictures and upload them actually

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  2011-11-29 17.38.21.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  264.8 KB

The red writing is my attempt at explaining what the pin looks like at each end, one looks like a circle with a line through it thats at the edge on the right, the edge nearest my finger just looks like a circle. Does this help at all?

I would be confident that it is a simple push pin, though from the albeit good photo, I still can't make out the bracelet edge! If that's the case, yes, you simply push the pin out and it will release the link. You only need to push the pin out around 2mm or so, then I find the best thing to do is to grab the end with a quailty pair of needle nosed pliers, then pull the pin out full - much easier to pull, than push!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    I would be confident that it is a simple push pin, though from the albeit good photo, I still can't make out the bracelet edge! If that's the case, yes, you simply push the pin out and it will release the link. You only need to push the pin out around 2mm or so, then I find the best thing to do is to grab the end with a quailty pair of needle nosed pliers, then pull the pin out full - much easier to pull, than push!
    Yeah sorry about the picture its my phone and if i go any closer it just goes out of focus. I think you must be right as my brother just got in and he had his watch resized today (its a swatch) and the pins have the same little line and the jeweller pushed his out, so thanks a lot for your help. I'll try and find a kit with pliers so i can use that little trick, thanks

If your bracelet is as thin as my Edifice's bracelet precision pusher tool won't align at the proper height. Also considering from reviews I read that the pusher can be pretty flimsy if you force it doesn't help any. However, I did buy that kit that you linked and the standard hammer and push pins worked great. Initially though I used a paper clip; really sore on the thumbs.

Initially though I used a paper clip; really sore on the thumbs.
    Ahhh... the paper clip - should be a standard addition to anyone's watch tool kit, a brilliant invention useful for all sorts of things. Invaluable for many battery changes too in using the AC procedure to restart a watch!

Thread Information