Restore or Retired?

Thread: Restore or Retired?

California, Hong Kong, Singapore, Surabaya

Restore or Retired?

First post here at the forum.

I was rummaging and found this in the closet.
    Couldn't even remember when I bought it.

Name:  Mudman DW-8400.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  156.0 KB

Went to the Casio Service Center and had the battery replaced. The service man told me the machine still in great condition.
    When I got back home I noticed one of the rubber button was torn.

Name:  Mudman DW-8400 torn.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  118.3 KB

Question is, how can I get it fixed? Do they have the parts for the buttons rubbers? Or need to replace the casing?
    I'm guessing since it's quite an old model they might not have the exact casing anymore, so which other casing would fit for it?
    In it's current condition, does the watch still waterproofed or compromised (better not get any water on it)?

I was planning to get a new G and had looked on several choices, but somehow managed to find this one in the closet.
    If it can be restored then I might just use it instead of getting a new G.

Or if it's of any value, should I sell it and get a new G?
    How much is this one going now?

=)

Re: Restore or Retired?

That is the DW-8400 Mudman a very well regarded vintage G Shock.

Unfortunately the resin does tend to crumble over the buttons eventually. It does not compromise the watch in any way other than looking a bit unsightly, it is still perfectly usable.

The resin is just a cover for the case underneath and WR is not affected. The bezel is just one piece and unfortunately they are very hard to find as a replacement. The only real option is to purchase a DW-8400 with good resin and swap it but there is not much real point in doing that unless the damaged one has some significance for you.

DW-8400s in good condition fetch decent money but if it is damaged, like yours, the value is much reduced.

Mitch

Thank you Mitch!

Good news on the function side!
    I'll try it the next time I go swimming...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

It looks to be in great shape. If only the button covers are missing, there's no worry. When the same happened to my Raysman, I didn't much mind, but when the whole bezel came apart, well...

I ended up using Loctite's Plastic Bonding Superglue to do a repair. It's holding up very, very well with this stuff, if you can get over the appearance; I'm often told to throw that old beast out. I think not.

Name:  SDC10075 12.02.03 PM.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  94.6 KB

Your bands appear near mint, as are mine. Those old Master of G's rarely suffer a band failure, so if you're willing to repair, you can put that thing to the use it was intended for, and just accept that its appearance gets worse with age, much like our own. :P
    Last edited by Ramble2; October 7th, 2013 at 17:05.

Thanks! Do you have any ideas to repair the hole/torn area?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rokphish View Post
    Thanks! Do you have any ideas to repair the hole/torn area?

Only one, and you may very well not like it. Get a razor blade and cut it entirely out. Superglue it to the button, and let it just free-float. It will still appear 'mostly' intact. I didn't have that option with mine, as it just disintegrated and fell off. You still have pieces to work with.

Hahaha...

That sounds a bit last resort. I might hold out on that one while exploring other ideas...
    I wrote it down though.

Thanks again! :)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rokphish View Post
    Hahaha...

That sounds a bit last resort. I might hold out on that one while exploring other ideas...
    I wrote it down though.

Thanks again! :)
    It's actually not. It's a preventative measure. I would do it to all of your buttons, were the watch mine. Anchored, as they are, to the bezel, they provide the point of failure in two manners, firstly their own, and secondly in kinetic force against an already weakened resin bezel. Eliminating that constant stressor of kinetic force, pushing the buttons, will possibly save your bezel.

Cutting out all of the buttons, making them free-floating, will relieve pressure every time you use a function of the watch. They will no longer be pulling on the bezel, and as a consequence, your bezel may not split into three like mine did. You will also have the added advantage of saving, intact, most of your button covers.

If you wait, you risk damaging the whole bezel for the sake of an already damaged button cover.
    Last edited by Ramble2; October 7th, 2013 at 18:59.

Thread Information