Retrofitting a sapphire crystal on square G?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Buzzbait

Thread: Retrofitting a sapphire crystal on square G?

Retrofitting a sapphire crystal on square G?

My biggest gripe, by far, with the Gs is the lack of sapphire crystal. As I mentioned in another thread I have a scratched GW-5000 (and GW-3500BB) and it detracts from the whole experience.
    I will soon be receiving a DW-5030C-1JR, and with its screwback and current time in all modes it would be the perfect G if it only had a sapphire crystal: with that combo I honestly don't think I'd wear any other watch.

Thus, I'm wondering if ANYONE here knows of some place/someone who could retrofit a sapphire crystal on a square G? I read in another thread that someone was offered this once, so it seems to be possible.
    - Omega DeVille Hour Vision Annual Calendar (ref. 431.30.41.22.06.001); Seamaster Chronograph (ref. 2599.80.00)
    - Seiko Ignition (SBHL001)
    - Citizen PMX56-3002 (JDM Pro-Master DLC)
    - ArmourLite Isobrite T100
    - Traser P6600
    - Casio PRX2000T-7JF; DW-5030C-1JR; GA-835A-1A; GW-5000-1JF; DW-5600E; PRW-3000-1AER; GW-3500BB; GW-6900-1ER; AWG-100

Re: Retrofitting a sapphire crystal on square G?

The biggest problem is the decal on the crystal. If you replaced the crystal without replacing the decal, you wouldn't have the graphics anymore. It would probably look pretty funny.

I'd get the crystal replaced with a new Casio mineral crystal, and set out to find a bull bar for your G-Shock, or maybe stock up on spare crystals.

But I understand your frustration. I'd prefer sapphire with an inner glare coating myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Maybe even one of the more expensive smart phone/tablet adhesive scratch repellent shields, and cut it to size underneath the bezel. That would probably work quite well, as long as there's nothing to inhibit the solar charging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Buzzbait; January 27th, 2014 at 23:02.
    alexs12, Ottovonn and nigelw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    The biggest problem is the decal on the crystal. If you replaced the crystal without replacing the decal, you wouldn't have the graphics anymore. It would probably look pretty funny.

I'd get the crystal replaced with a new Casio mineral crystal, and set out to find a bull bar for your G-Shock, or maybe stock up on spare crystals.
    Yeah, I thought about the lack of decal but figured it might still be worth it just to have the sapphire. That's why I could also probably live with a 6900 with sapphire which, AFAIK doesn't have any decals.
    Have also looked for bull bars but with no luck so far.

Maybe even one of the more expensive smart phone/tablet adhesive scratch repellent shields, and cut it to size underneath the bezel. That would probably work quite well, as long as there's nothing to inhibit the solar charging.
    I also considered that but it would probably reduce the visibilty, if only marginally. Plus, if water gets under the shield I would have to remove the bezel again to get rid of the water, which isn't something I'd want to do if it happens if I'm abroad on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
    have u tried on internet?
    I was only able to find replacements for Seiko and Citizen watches. Nothing for Casio.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
    I also considered that but it would probably reduce the visibilty, if only marginally. Plus, if water gets under the shield I would have to remove the bezel again to get rid of the water, which isn't something I'd want to do if it happens if I'm abroad on vacation.
    Here's a thread on the topic, with pictures so you can judge the visibility yourself: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/diy...on-803251.html

Apparently Casio installs a similar scratch shield on the Riseman at the factory -- pictures of that in the linked thread, as well. As long as the adhesive is adhering to the glass properly, I'm not really sure how water would get underneath, but on the other hand I've never taken my phone swimming!

The problem with sapphire is that although very scratch resistant they are not as tough as acrylic and the one of the main points of a gshock is for it to be able to fall and not brake, acrylic does a better job at accomplishing that. That being said MRGs and some new aviators already have sapphire so you might be interested in those.

I wouldn't touch a G-Shock with a sapphire crystal. Hell, I would love for them to come with acrylic (I think some do?). They may get scratched up and gouged but at least they can still function as a timepiece.

Polish out your crystal if it bothers you, automotive wet-dry sandpaper followed up by diamond paste works wonders.

Thread Information