WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which reverse display or none.

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  FreeDiver 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of a GW5600 or a GW700. I like the look of the reverse display but was wondering which is easier to see.

There seems to be the bluish numbers on the GW700

the bluish display of the GW5600

or the amber?? of the GW5600

or am I better off with the standard display :thanks

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I'm not sure about the amber display of the GW-5600 because I haven't seen one yet in the flesh. however, I had the GW-810BD for a few days with the yellowish digits....

....and to read that thing was a pain in the arse. it doesn't occur so on that pic due the flashlight I used but believe me, the moment you turned away from light (whether sunlight or artificial light) and into a shade you were literally standing in the dark. I had pretty often to turn on the el-backlight, even under normal daylight conditions. I was so disappointed about this, that I returned the watch and got me the GW-810BXD instead....

....which makes almost a day and night difference. very good legibility (for a reverse display) and under certain light conditions at least as good readable as a non-reverse display.

so my recommendation is clearly to go with a watch that doesn't have a yellowish/amber (reverse)display.

regards, holger

#5 ·
If you're wondering about legibility get a standart display with standard background. Anything else--even a regular display w/ yellow display background--is not as legible under low lighting conditions. Having said that, you might want to try a reverse display if you've never had one before because it's the only way to really find out about them. :)

#7 ·
the pix you posted are total madison avenue shots, the norm with g-shock advertising. reverse displays never look that bright, unless the backlight is activated. jc penny carries the blue one, you could check it out there.

this choice of reverse display really depends on what you expect from the watch. If you're like me and don't want to squint while telling the time, reverse display will annoy you. Under overhead lighting conditions, reverse looks great. when available light is lacking, reverse display can look like a black hole.

however, the newer reverse displays are noticeably brighter. as on poster noted, go with big numerals if you must have one.

no matter how many times I've been disappointed by reverse displays, I continue to try them out b/c they do look cool. I own and have kept only one, the G-304RL (pic below), which has analog and nice big numerals. this works nicely, digi display does not get in the way of the hands, and you can read the digi display even when hands are in the way.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.