Review of the new 35th Anniversary GA-835A and GA-800
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Review of the new 35th Anniversary GA-835A and GA-800

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Review of the new 35th Anniversary GA-835A and GA-800

I first saw the press release of the 35th Anniversary editions several weeks ago. The GA-850 really caught my eye. A simple aviator design with a large center light button, solid hands, an actual seconds hand(finally!), and a large Ana-digi LCD screen. I knew it was for me but I was unsure of its size. I was a little afraid as most Gshocks, especially the aviators, have been getting bigger and bigger.

I haven't liked an aviator design since the beloved gw-2500. I have really missed that one.

That was a chunky watch, but probably the most wearable for small wrists. I thought this new version had the same case as my previously owned ga-100. That watch wore very flat even though it was a large diameter. I still see this one a lot in the wild.

So, I was expecting big, but a wus forum member said that this new G was considerably smaller that the GA-100, and he was right

Yes, it's still a large watch, but it's much smaller and thinner than I was anticipating. I was happy to see a decrease in size compared to most current offerings.

What I noticed first was how relatively narrow the band was where it meets the case. Much more narrow than my rangeman and very similar the the the gw-6900, which fits most small wrists the best next to the square. It also wears very flat and balanced. Thinner, and much less chunky than the 2500 line that I liked so much.

The lug to lug isn't long either. Nearly identical to the GW-5000 believe it or not. Chunkier and wider in diameter, but it's equal in height on the wrist and wears just as balanced. I have a 7 inch wrist btw.

It wears very similar to the excellent 6900

It's much, much less chunky than my Rangeman. It also is half the weight. The one downside is that the center textured light button feels like plastic, vs the much higher quality rangeman, which has all metal buttons.

The dial design is just really basic, yet pleasing to the eye. The traditional aviator spear hands, which have their own lume btw, the red seconds hand, and the red gshock lettering. Just enough color, but not too much. The silver 10 minute markers add a nice level of depth and I always like the 5 minute incremental sub markings. It's hard to find a non gimmicky G these days, but they really did a nice job of leaving this one alone.

Kind of reminds me of a modern version of this popular model, the G-100.

The seconds hand moves with such authority, precision, no wobble, hitting all the marks dead on.

The features are pretty basic. This model is non solar, and non atomic. That's ok with me, although I'd probably splurge for the gw model if they ever come out with it. It has a stopwatch, timer, 5 alarms, and dual time. I haven't read the manual yet so I'm not sure what other goodies it may be hiding.

My favorite feature is the backlight. It's the brightest I have ever seen on any watch. You can light up a room. It had the option for one or 3 seconds. As I said before, the hands are also separately lumed so you don't even need the backlight most times. I love G's that have the light button front and center. No fumbling for the right button in the dark. Hard to capture with the iPhone, but the light is a good size, located just under the 9 o'cklock marker.

Overall, I'm really happy with this watch. I found the basic version at the last minute and had to have it too. At $129, I think that's a really fair price. The blacked out model is very cool and just a tad more at around $200 I think. The band and case on the anniversary edition are almost powder coated with this matte black material. Very different than the regular model. There is nothing that could get shiny or reflective. The gold is a cool touch for an anniversary model, but probably not my preference. Overall, these are great. A welcomed step in the right direction. A return to the basic, non gimmicky, modestly sized, G-shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scooby; September 27th, 2017 at 20:57.
    avusblue, ccm123, dlavi and 28 others like this.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

Re: Review of the new 35th Anniversary GA-835A and GA-800

Nice review and photos.
    scooby likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Great review. Can't wait for these to be available in the U.S.
    scooby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dlavi View Post
    Great review. Can't wait for these to be available in the U.S.
    I ordered mine from Amazon. Japan Global Select I believe. They quoted nearly a month for delivery time. It was delivered in just under a week, which was a nice surprise.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

Wondering if the new Big Bang Black is more prone, or less prone, to visible scuffs/scratches when compared to the normal black resin. It also seems like all the photos I see are less black, though I thought they made it seem like it was more black than their normal resin. I really wish I could see this color in person.
    Luminox 1881.BO Field Chrono
    G-Shock GPW-1000T-1A (The BEAST)
    G-Shock GD-350-1BER
    (2) G-Shock GXW-56BB-1JF (The KING - I own 2 because everyone should own at least two...LOL)
    G-Shock GW-9300GB-1JF (Mudman)
    G-Shock GD-350-1C (Custom - Black Bezel)
    G-Shock GWX-5600C-7JF (G-LIDE)
    G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900-1CR
    G-Shock GW-9300DC-1CR (Mudman - Custom - Black Bezel Screws/Strap Screws/Strap keeper/Buckle)
    G-Shock G
    W-M5610-1BJF (I want to enter this one in for a honorary COSC rating, its running about .75 seconds fast per month!)
    G-Shock GB-5600B-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900MC-1
    Lum-Tec COMBAT B24 Carbon (Miyota 9015 Japan Automatic Movement)
    Lum-Tec COMBAT B35 Auto (STP 1-11 Swiss Automatic Movement)

I like the one with the positive LCD display.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I ordered mine from Amazon. Japan Global Select I believe. They quoted nearly a month for delivery time. It was delivered in just under a week, which was a nice surprise.
    I am going to try and hold off a bit until hopefully they are generally available, hopefully at a lower price.

Thanks for review.

Please report it here...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-s...4528313-2.html

Cheers, Piowa

Love it (despite missing some for me essential features).

Yeahman all the above. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information