The Revman Cometh

Thread: The Revman Cometh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Revman Cometh

I have been on the lookout for a decent Revman for a long time.

I recently managed to acquire one, the MRG-1200T-1A, that is in very good condition overall.

I thought i would do a short review as this model is not often seen on the forum due to its rarity.

Just to set the scene I received the watch, and saw that it is in very fine shape for a ten year old titanium watch. Titanium is said to pick up scratches easier than SS, however this watch has an almost perfect bezel and only light hazing and surface marks on the bracelet. There are quite a few light scratches and scuffs on the clasp as you would expect but these could easily be polished out if I was bothered to do so, which I am not at this stage.

If I was to take out all the marks then I would tend to be more reluctant to give it wrist time and I definately want to have this in my watch rotation. The crystal is perfect.

There was one disappointing thing with the watch, on the second day of wearing, the watch fell off my wrist as the bracelet became detached from the watch at the lugs.

On the Revman the bracelet attaches via two pins with a collar system at the lugs, though the rest of the links are attached via split pins.

On this watch, on close examination, I found that the pins at the lug had no collar and the pins had been glued together!

Luckily the watch fell onto carpet and no damage was done and I was able to find the pins. I had a spare collar available and was able to fit this fairly easily and it is now perfect.

I subsequently decided to check all the pins in the links and found four that pushed out with minimal force. I soon sorted this out and in less than ten minutes the bracelet was as solid as can be.

Here are a few photos.

The watch is one solid chunk of titanium with a hefty bracelet to match.

Look at the solid machined nature of the clasp, none of your pressed and stamped rubbish here.

The Revman is a mixture of brushed and polished titanium surfaces. The inner bezel is highly polished as are the buttons, the side pieces have a shinier brushed finish than the rest of the bezel which has the typical slightly matt Ti finish, lovely!

The dial is quite stylized and is obviously meant to represent a Rev Counter with its red section showing the rev limit. The way the inner 'Speedo' cuts into the digital sections is quite a neat touch I think.
    The dial has a lot of writing and information on it and perhaps would be better with less. The numbers on the bezel are a good touch they are subtle with no added colour but add to its overall appearance in my opinion.

An unusual fearure of this watch is that the crystal is slightly domed. I don't know of any other 'G's that have this feature apart from the Raysman but other members might want to chip in on that.

The module is nothing to write home about, though it has an unusual dual stopwatch feature that automatically saves the lap time and will display the fastest five laps on request, together with the lap numbers. You can also input the distance and the watch will display the average speed of the lap, cool hey!

It also has dual time, alarm, hourly signal and hand set. It features a quick change function from 12 to 24 hour display by pressing button B. I like this feature, very quick to check it and then reverse it.

The backlight is good as it stays on for four seconds, which is way better than the measly 2 secs on most modern 'G's.

The lume itself is weak overall, it is stronger on the hands than the batons but that is not saying much. It has, of course, the EL as well.

As I have already said this is one solid chunk of Titanium. I mean this watch is big. It must be the biggest MRG ever made and is one of the all time biggest 'G's.

It runs 49mm to the side pieces, is 54mm to the lugs and is 19mm thick to the back protector.

This is bigger than the MRG-7500 by some margin.

It is also bigger than the 6900, the PAW1300 and the old Frogman. Only the Raysman is bigger amongst my 'G's, being the same length but being 2mm wider.

Even though the watch is all Titanium it must be one of the heaviest 'G's ever made. The Revman is noticeably heavier than the MRG-7500.

I don't have any scales so I can't say what the actual weight is, though other members may know. It wears very well though, it doesn't look huge on the wrist due to the comparitively small crystal area.

Casio certainly put a lot of effort into making this a quality product and I suppose that is reflected in the price at issue, which was about $780.

I am very glad that I was able to finally get this watch and it certainly more than meets my expectations. I think it deserves to be regarded as one of the true classic 'G's.

Hope you have enjoyed the review.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; October 5th, 2009 at 14:57.

Re: The Revman Cometh

Thanks for that - what a mad-looking beast! Something about it keeps reminding me of Dr Who - maybe the side view that looks like Cybermen

do you put that in a watch case or park it in the garage....?....man that is a big boy!

nice..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats!! That is a great find, and looks great! Looks much better than the stock Casio photos, I overlooked this one until I saw your great photos. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    Thanks for that - what a mad-looking beast! Something about it keeps reminding me of Dr Who - maybe the side view that looks like Cybermen

I can see where you are coming from!

Another unique thing about this watch is that I think it is the only 'G' to have the numbers on the outside of the bezel. This is common on other makes but I know of no other 'G' that does this.

That is unless anyone else can remember one.

Mitch

Nice piece Mitch, you've got yourself one serious looking Master-of-G from yesteryear

enjoy!

Wow.. Mitch!

That is one gorgeous watch. Thanks for the review and great pictures. I learned a lot.

Enjoy it, that is one very special G-Shock!

Cheers...

great review of a great G... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Wow.. Mitch!

That is one gorgeous watch. Thanks for the review and great pictures. I learned a lot.

Enjoy it, that is one very special G-Shock!

Cheers...
    Cheers Archer

That is the great thing about wearing and collecting 'G's.

There are plenty of models and varieties out there that may appeal to particular individuals. Of course some models have much more general approval and are seen as more desirable.

I quite enjoyed the 'Hunt and Capture' of this particular model which I perceived as highly desirable personally.

I didn't pay a huge sum for the watch but I am sure I will get as much pleasure, if not more, in its ownership than say paying 20 times more for a so called higher end used watch (eg Pam, Rolex etc).

That is because it was not easy to find and get the watch, I had to have patience and deferred gratification. Also when I wear it there is a fair chance that at that particular moment I might be the only person in the world with it on my wrist. (A bit sad I know but that is what blokes are like!) You are never going to feel that with most models of Rolex et al.

This is the great thing with wearing and owning 'G's, there is something for everyone who has an open mind to the brand.

This one might just suit those big wrists of yours Archer!

Mitch

I like it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information