The right decision?

Thread: The right decision?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The right decision?

Over the last 6 months I've sold off my collection of various Seiko, Citizen, and a few other automatic and quartz watches. All I have left is a couple of G Shocks. A GW9200-1 Riseman and a GS1100-1A Giez.

I got tired of setting and resetting the automatic and quartz watches every time I put one on. With these two G Shocks, Ive got everything I need in a watch for now. I just pick one up and put it on and I know that I have the correct time without any adjustment.

Is this the right decision? Who knows. It sure makes things simpler. Of course these two G Shocks are great watches which helps.

Re: The right decision?

I don't know if you're right, but I know what you mean. I don't think I've worn any of my mechanicals in the last year without having to set it first, as they're always stopped.

I don't mind that - for me it's part of the act of deciding which watch to wear. An auto-updating and accurate G is definitely low maintenance But I still find something like my Seamaster or MO more visually attractive. And where I tend to hang out in London, I've never once seen a G in 20 years, let alone a few months.

Still, I've bought 2 Gs in the last month and a Riseman is on its way....

Quote Originally Posted by johsch View Post
    Is this the right decision?
    Yes, you've made a great decision. I hear where you are coming from and I've been there, in fact I'm still there with the other watches in my collection.

What's so funny is the G-Shocks are the least expensive watches I have ever bought and they are the most fun! I have only recently started collecting them myself and I'm really impressed.

Your avatar is really cool!

Cheers...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To me, G-Shocks are the perfect balance between "Hey, look at me! My watch is totally shiny and expensive and better than yours!" and "Don't look at me and my craptastic watch, you're making me feel uncomfortable."

You did the right thing. If I had to choose just one watch for the rest of my life, it would be a G.
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

Quote Originally Posted by bryanhayn View Post
    to me, g-shocks are the perfect balance between "hey, look at me! My watch is totally shiny and expensive and better than yours!" and "don't look at me and my craptastic watch, you're making me feel uncomfortable."

you did the right thing. If i had to choose just one watch for the rest of my life, it would be a g.
    +1
    watches are meant to tell times..

The Subliminal Orifice of Underlying World

Quote Originally Posted by johsch View Post
    Over the last 6 months I've sold off my collection of various Seiko, Citizen, and a few other automatic and quartz watches. All I have left is a couple of G Shocks. A GW9200-1 Riseman and a GS1100-1A Giez.

I got tired of setting and resetting the automatic and quartz watches every time I put one on. With these two G Shocks, Ive got everything I need in a watch for now. I just pick one up and put it on and I know that I have the correct time without any adjustment.

Is this the right decision? Who knows. It sure makes things simpler. Of course these two G Shocks are great watches which helps.

But Gs have no soul. It is like saying a robot is better than human because you don't have to feed it. I love having a wobbly 7750 on my wrist and feel its beet.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.

I am the ruler of the attunement to my inner self.

Quote Originally Posted by polishammer View Post
    But Gs have no soul.
    Just like any other watch then.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I love having a wobbly 7750 on my wrist and feel its beet.
    Gotta love that feeling.

It is like saying a robot is better than human because you don't have to feed it. .
    Or like saying that a clockwork toy is better and more fun than a Playstation because you have to wind it.

Mitch

I still have some great Swiss autos, though I've sold some that weren't getting wrist time. But I've gotta say, with G-Shocks (and Pathfinder/Protreks) I'm having tons of fun while spending very little money. In a way, after a decade as a hard-core auto and mechanical WIS who babies his watches, these tough electric timepieces are changing my outlook on watches, and on life! And this forum is one of the most active and knowledgeable watch communities I've ever hung out with!

--Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information