RIP - Mary Travers - OFF TOPIC

Thread: RIP - Mary Travers - OFF TOPIC

RIP - Mary Travers - OFF TOPIC

There is no shortage of music fans (of many different genres, I know) and guitar players on this forum. So I thought the New York Times obituary of Mary Travers (of Peter, Paul & Mary) would be of interest to some of you. Within the confines of her genre, she was a terrific singer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/ar...avers.html?hpw

Re: RIP - Mary Travers - OFF TOPIC

Well I will give this thread a comment to give due respect to Mary who believed in many liberal viewpoints.

Obviously you have to be of 'a certain age' to remember Peter, Paul and Mary when they were actually performing.

I always quite liked them, even if they were a bit too commercial and manufactured at times.

Mary was always the visual focal point of the group and seemed to have a mysterious, ethereal quality about her.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; September 18th, 2009 at 01:17.

Yes, Mitch has it about right. I think I probably have more respect for them now than I did at the time. They were a bit cosy, but they were getting radio play with Bob Dylan songs when Bob Dylan wasn't. And she did have a good voice.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree as well. The obit writer himself notes this. Early on, they made Dylan songs, among other things, "safe" and "commercial". (Much as The Weavers did for Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene", which, in its original version, is neither.)

Still, they were more socially aware and took more political (and even artistic) risks than many of the other squeaky clean groups that arose during the short-lived commercial "folk revival" (e.g., The Kingston Trio). And there is an interesting link from Ronnie Gilbert to Mary Travers to Grace Slick and all the women since who have been members of a group (as opposed to merely being a singer with a backing band).

Thread Information