Are Riseman (9200) and New Mudman (9300) Too Similar?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Are Riseman (9200) and New Mudman (9300) Too Similar?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Are Riseman (9200) and New Mudman (9300) Too Similar?

So, I decided to buy my second g-shock in the form of G9300-1 (New Mudman). (I currently have a GW-9200-1, Riseman)

Went to the store, tried the watch on wrist. Very comfy. Felt lighter and more comfortable than the Riseman I went into the store with. I know 9300 is actually heavier than Riseman by about 7gm, but the weight distribution is such that it actually feels lighter when worn. Was worried that it might be too big, but it wasn't. I was very happy with it and had made up my mind to purchase it.

Was about to take the watch off my wrist and take the wallet out when GF remarked: "Why do you want this one? Get something that looks different. These two (Riseman and New Mudman) look the same." (GF has a baby-g and is getting another one for Xmas. G-Shocks are not foreign to her.).

I was a bit surprised. The sales lady also mentioned that except for the outer casing everything between the two watches is the same. (Well I forgive the ignorant sales lady for not knowing the difference between a riseman and a mudman).

At this point, I decided to think about it for a while about it.

What do you guys think? Are these two watches too similar? (Mind you I'm after the plain default models of both, not any color variations)

Here are a close up each of both the watches. (Images, courtesy of watch-tanaka.com)

And one direct comparison by our very own "volodymyrqa" (His thread is here)
    volodymyrqa and ashwalla like this.

Inactive

Re: Are Riseman (9200) and New Mudman (9300) Too Similar?

hi :)

I think they are totally different and that is why:
    - Design, Riseman looks like a spaceship. Mudman, ehhmmm hard to say but looks cool enough
    - Sensor in Mudman is hided. In Riseman it is outside and if it's touched it is moving about 1mm ( little bit annoying )
    Compass + Thermo in my opinion is more useful than Thermo/Alti/Baro meter.
    - Size. Mudman looks more like a watch for a man. But not as big as GX-56. After muddy, Rman looks like a toy watch, especially on a big hand :)
    - Display totally different. On mudman circle with seconds is more useful ( IMHO ) For example when you need to visually know how much seconds passed since minute started :) It's like a timer but without launching it :)
    Riseman shows barometer readings. Which was not useful 4 me. 2 Risemans may show total different reading in the same place...
    Mudman have slightly smaller digits. But screen is not wasted with pointless info like year and 3 stripes of receiving indicator )
    I think that moon graph is more useful than info about current year.
    - Functions Muddy have 1000h timer :) May be useful some day :)
    - Backlight on muddy can be set for 3 seconds vs 1.5 on Rman ( i've set it for 3 sec it is more convinient )
    However, it is slightly easier to push on backlight button on riseman, since it is always in front of you. But this matters only if you use this function a lot.

If i had to choose which one to buy again. It would be mudman 2011 without any doubts
    Last edited by volodymyrqa; November 20th, 2011 at 13:31.
    0Jewels likes this.

I guess you all know what I think.
    0Jewels likes this.

Go Team Bravus!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That was one of the reasons I did not buy the standard version and ended up buying the GB and GY versions instead. The limited editions are unique and I found that the standard version looked alot like my riseman and also to similar to a few other watches I already own. I love the look of negative displays and have no issues reading them. If I didn't want a negative display I would have probably bought the standard version just because I love the size and design of these new mudman models.

I find the new mudman models to be one of my most comfortable watches to wear.
    Last edited by sspartan; November 20th, 2011 at 18:40.

Riseman looks more "techy" to me, and Mudman is more "rugged". Riseman has the altimeter/barometer and Mudman has the compass. Riseman is flatter and Mudman is taller. Both are comfortable. Both are great watches.

I showed my girlfriend the GW-5000. She said, "oh, this one is nice, looks like a normal watch, not like the others that you have that look like tires."

So to someone who is not a fan of the Master of G series, sure, they probably all look the same. To someone who is really into them, they are completely different.
    GTR83 likes this.

FWIW...Women think everything looks the same. My wife thinks ALL my watches look the same because they all have hour and minute hands. She thinks all cars look the same because they have 4 wheels. In the eyes of most women; watches, cars, anything guys are into, are just tools to get a job done. Most do not notice, nor appreciate the details. I do not think the new mudman looks too similar. When I see the new mudman, the color combo actually reminds me of the Frogman GW1000. I think the large buttons on the mudman help distinguish it...
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    FWIW...Women think everything looks the same.
    That can actually come in handy at times, though there's still the "is that a new watch?" when it's a very noticeable color, like my recent orange Riseman purchase.
    JonL and GTR83 like this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Both have too much red (the reason I sold my riseman) so, yes - they are too similar for me.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I think the AB functions from Riseman and the C function from the new scorpion Mudman should be combined into one G. But oh.. how will Casio sell the Pathfinder if there is an ABC G-Shock?

JwY

They're different enough. If you're sticking to the standard colour scheme, most of them look pretty similar to most people at a glance anyways. It's like how a lot of dive watches seem when you go for the standard black dial and bezel. Why don't you want a colour variation?
    My Tissot Seastar 1000 (2011 Edition) Review:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/tis...on-560425.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information