Riseman altimeter accuracy in vehicle?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Riseman altimeter accuracy in vehicle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riseman altimeter accuracy in vehicle?

most interested in the altimeter feature of the 9200 riseman for use in my car and hiking. is the altimeter accurate at all in the cabin of a moving vehicle either with the windows up or down?

i have heard mixed reports on the accuracy of the altimeter as well as the barometer but have also read they can be calibrated.

what do you guys think? i really like the looks of the 9200 MS but for real world use should i just go with a protrek or pathfinder? they are a little more but i don't want to spend the $160+ on a riseman and be disappointed with it's features.

Re: Riseman altimeter accuracy in vehicle?

The riseman is great but the altimeter is the least accurate function on the watch.My baro/thermo are always spot on temp reading off wrist.The altimeter reading is based off air pressure so from inside a car to outside will change drastically,but after being outside for a short time or if a reference point is set it usually will be pretty
    accurate.When i was at the beach for while with my riseman it read 0ft that was cool!!

the readings have not been very accurate for me no matter how many times I calibrate the readings. This watch has been disappointing in that regard.

every time I press the red button I feel so horrible about my watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmm, my GW-9200 seems always spot on, like the DW-9100 model. Only thing you need to do is calibrate before leaving. On the other side, don't have airco in my car, which might help. At our holiday, we started from 200m and we came back on 200m (+/- 5m) when we returned. All you need is normal quiet weather I'll guess.

I used mine
    during my vacation in the Belgian Ardennes as you can see when following the link.

Cheers,

Sjors

Last edited by Sjors; November 4th, 2011 at 14:23. Reason: typo in model number
    jing and Promethius like this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Name:  10ek7k2.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  675.1 KB

It depends on weather. On summer it's ok, on autumn it's eeh. I never calibrate it, it's selected "off".

Name:  11vtlzt.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  388.4 KB

Name:  2ldf1v8.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  421.1 KB
    Sjors, Promethius and lvt like this.

Banned

Keep in mind that these are few-hundred-dollar watches. They will not be super accurate except for the time. Not to be used for professional purposes. If they're at all close, thank your stars. Most of the features are... well I got hammered for using the word "gimmicks" in another thread.. so let's say they are "optimistic" about their own capabilities.

Altimeter drift is inevitable, due to barometric pressure changes. Just place your riseman on your wrist and sit at home and watch the altitude fluctuate....

I'm a big fan of G-shocks but I can't recommend the Riseman for its altimeter.
    Casio G-shock G-9000 Mudman | Casio G-shock DW-8600 Fisherman
    Casio G-shock DW-9100 Riseman | Casio G-shock DW-6100
    Casio CMD-40B-1T remote control | Casio JP-200W
    Timex Expedition metal combo | T45201 Polar RS300X SD

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky McBonk View Post
    Keep in mind that these are few-hundred-dollar watches. They will not be super accurate except for the time. Not to be used for professional purposes. If they're at all close, thank your stars. Most of the features are... well I got hammered for using the word "gimmicks" in another thread.. so let's say they are "optimistic" about their own capabilities.
    Well, you can buy the most expensive altimeter on the market, it won't to any good either if the essential technique is not incorporated. Money got nothing to do with it, basically any other manufactuerer of ABC watches does a significant better job than Casio, when it comes to altimeter/barometer accuracy. The four major points where Casio always fails is the lack of sea level pressue (SLP), thermo compensation, an altimeter lock and 1 meter increments (minor).

Quote Originally Posted by time4d
    Altimeter drift is inevitable, due to barometric pressure changes. Just place your riseman on your wrist and sit at home and watch the altitude fluctuate....
    With an altimeter lock, drifts are simply history. I can sit with my Tech4o and have a Tornado blasting my surrounding away, and the altimeter won't move one single meter. But you are right - sit there with your Riseman and watch your altitude miraculous rising to Mount Everest heights when the Tornado approaches...

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

ZOMBIE THREAAD!!

haha, thanks for the reply's. i've found i have to adjust my riseman every time i wear it but once i do the first time of the day it's pretty solid the rest of the day. haven't payed attention on any long trips with it but around town at 45mph with the windows down it does appear to accurately register ascent/descent across large hills and from one side of the county to the other which is sort of nifty.

As an avid mountainbiker the Riseman is my watch to go. Tell you what : this is a true outdoor watch,the more it stays outside the more the altimeter gets precise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information