Riseman: How often do you calibrate sensors?

Thread: Riseman: How often do you calibrate sensors?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riseman: How often do you calibrate sensors?

To the Riseman owners, how often do you calibrate the alti/baro?

Re: Riseman: How often do you calibrate sensors?

very seldom.. i only did it once so far, seldom use the attitude sensor actually. temperature sensor was just to see how cold the lecture hall is!

sorry, i musnt have been clear about my question. what i mean is, how often do you notice the alti/baro readings of your riseman (yes, the new one, gw9200) are wrong and that you need to calibrate them?

and thanks for the link. now i can read more before i get me my riseman :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

just once, calibrated the baro meter accouring to the hPa online.. but wasn't sure after that whether it is the actual hPa near or around my area. coz just following the nearest city to my place.

no information regarding the altitude on where i'm currently.. so dare not touch it. one thing for sure, you have to be confident and trust your watch after you have calibrated it.. i still wondering whether i've did the right thing or not.. :oops:

just my personal experiece.

rgds,
    twei

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

due to air pressure rise/drop, I calibrate the altimeter every morning, sometimes 3-5 times per day if necessary.

the barometer is affected by temperature changes and therefore pointless to calibrate. however, if you wear the watch and keep temperature roughly between 22 - 32° celsius, a change won't be necessary. it might will be off sometimes by 1 or 2 millibars (hpa) but thats it. if the watch is not worn (e.g. attached to a backpack) and is exposed to the bright hot sun, - or opposite - to the cold air, you will have to add/subtract a few millibars by the rule of thumb, therefore its best to keep it onto your wrist.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

The altimeter data are often wrong, you can calibrate somewhere climb up or down and you are wrong from more than 50 meters. Here in France we have very precise map with lot of elevation information (1cm on map=250 meter on field) so we can check at every step of a moutain walk.
    But if you use your GW9200 to get an average climb by day the value are quit correct (less than 15% error).
    To get good elevation data , buy a good GPS like Garmin 60Csx, you get elevation everywhere with 20-30 meters precision.

i got access to highly precise weather equipments located across the country. whenever i go to one of those sites, the one thing i always do is to compare my gw9200 against the equipments. gives me an idea of how the riseman performs at different altitude, temperature, wind, humidity and pressure zones.

it was vary accurate from the day i got it, and it has never let me down

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

I noticed that the temperature reading of the Riseman is considerably off from those of my DW-9600 and PRT-60 (10 years old, two battery replacements each), somewhere around 2-4°C at normal room temperatures.

When I place all three into the fridge, the temperature difference was almost insignificant (<1°). Since the Riseman provides similar results as two consumer weather stations, I am quite unsure which of the watches are providing incorrect readings. But calibration seems hardly useful due to the non-linear deviation.

Since I use the riseman sensors primarily for the barometric graph, I don't care too much about the actual values.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    Since I use the riseman sensors primarily for the barometric graph, I don't care too much about the actual values.
    good point,

its often far more interesting to see the specific trend, than to be accurate down to one 1hpa (though thats very nice).

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    ............I noticed that the temperature reading of the Riseman is considerably off from those of my DW-9600 and PRT-60 (10 years old, two battery replacements each), somewhere around 2-4°C at normal room temperatures...........
    comparing it to other watches is not a good practice. u've gotta compare it with some kind of calibration reference, which is certified to be accurate.

here's how i did mine

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information