Riseman and my thoughts...

Thread: Riseman and my thoughts...

Riseman and my thoughts...

Bought Riseman before my trek in Patagonia more as a toy than a real instrument. I use my Garmin for precise readings and navigation so Riseman was just there as a “quick look” thing. Riseman that I have is a MIRO version which I think between the color and sick backlight makes it a very pretty watch (and very suitable for my work). Standard functions on the watch are pretty much self explanatory and worked as advertised but had some trouble with special functions… Altimeter which is based on barometer was pretty much useless since I set it up at the beginning of the trip (in NYC) and I think I needed to reset it after landing but being in the middle of nowhere can’t really get an accurate barometric pressure from anyone. So I used the graph more as a reference for predicting weather than for anything. My altitude readings of course were off by 1000 meters so that’s the end of that chapter. Temp worked as advertised giving me right readings and I was happy with that since that’s one thing that my Garmin doesn’t have.

Now like I said it is partially my fault about not getting the reference pressure and setting up my watch upon arrival. But also to my defense where could I have gotten such a reading? I’ve been to some god forsaken places in my life and last thing in the world I would be able to obtain is barometric pressure. I’m not so much disappointed because I still love the watch but will treat it more as a toy than a real deal. Very pretty toy since I constantly get asked where to get such a watch. But now I’ve been researching Suuntos more and more.

More pics from the trip…
    http://brunerdog.tripod.com/patagonia/index.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Riseman and my thoughts...

nice update

you could have set up the reference altitude of the altimeter with the GPS's reading to give it a more accurate reading.

Nice pics...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I though that the standard settings for pressure and temp were pretty accurate. Its the altitude ref that needs setting as it is achieved by temp and pressure measurement.

Again, GPS could be used for setting this.

I'm relatively new to the Riseman, but I will be the first to admit that it does quite a lot for being a sub 200 dollar wrist watch (and seeing how most data could have been improved via re-calibration, is a huge testament to the quality and technological strides that Casio has made).

Suunto is an impressive watch in its own right, but you are comparing a consumer marketed sub 200 watch to a 300+ computer. To each, their own...my sister does species diversity research and is constantly dropped in remote locations...she uses a beat up G or a Timex Expedition.

I would love to see a further review of a Suunto to the Riseman!

Seiko SBDA003 "Samurai"
    Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic True Second
    Rolex Submariner 16610

From what I've seen in the manual, the Riseman is pre-calibrated at the factory, using values stipulated by the International Civil Aviation Association (ICAO). If at any time you suspect a serious error in the pressure and temperature readings, you can always recalibrate the watch back to its factory settings.

You're still lucky that you have the Garmin to use as a reference instrument.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Beautiful shots.
    best regards,

Kirk M.

GWF-1000-1JF
    GDF-100
    GW-9110-1JF
    GW-9400BJ-1JF
    GD-350-1JF
    G-700D
    DW-9052
    DW-9500
    DW-5900
    DW-7400

I've found my Riseman has very accurate pressure readings when at a steady altitude. A drastic change in altitude will cause the pressure readings to change. For every 150 feet or so that I gain in altitude the pressure will drop about 5 mb (1015-1010).
    AUSTIN

GW9200-1 Riseman
    GW9000A-1 Mudman
    GW5600J-1
    GW700BDJ

Quote Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
    I'm relatively new to the Riseman, but I will be the first to admit that it does quite a lot for being a sub 200 dollar wrist watch (and seeing how most data could have been improved via re-calibration, is a huge testament to the quality and technological strides that Casio has made).

Suunto is an impressive watch in its own right, but you are comparing a consumer marketed sub 200 watch to a 300+ computer. To each, their own...my sister does species diversity research and is constantly dropped in remote locations...she uses a beat up G or a Timex Expedition.

I would love to see a further review of a Suunto to the Riseman!
    I owned a Vector from Suunto which price wise is directly proportional to Riseman. I also owned Core and dive with Suunto Cobra... Thru all my time out there one thing I complained about was backlight on Suunto. This is my only grief I had with them and will not use their handheld products because of that matter. I trek and start some of my climbs when it is still dark out and I work a lot during night so good clear reading is a must for me. I love the backlight on Gs and as simple as it is going to sound that's why I choose them over vector or core. But from what experience I have with Suunto land models once set they were very accurate. I found Riseman maybe not too complicated but too dependant on user input to keep it going. But even if I had a wrong pressure reading to begin with would altimeter still work to some extend as far as the altitude gained goes? I had some crazy reading during a steep ascent from 400m to 1200m and than even weirder when I dropped to 800m.

Thread Information