Riseman or Protrek for running a marathon on a mountain?

Thread: Riseman or Protrek for running a marathon on a mountain?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Riseman or Protrek for running a marathon on a mountain?

Every couple of years I get my life together and run a marathon up and down Pike's Peak in Colorado. I'm somewhat serious when I run but I'm not competitive at all - I still take a picture or two during the marathon and often am talking to other runners. In the past I've always worn one of my dad's old Timex watches just to keep a pace. I was thinking this year it might be cool to run it with a watch that has an altimeter and thermostat onboard, so obviously the Riseman came to mind.

However, I really don't know much about it's feature set. What I'd like a watch to do is log the altitude and temperature at different times automatically over a roughly 7 hour period. At the same time, I think it would be cool if I could manually enter a log at specific mile marker points. For example, when I hit mile 9 on the ascent, I could somehow hit a button and log the time, temp, and altitude at that location. I'm just wondering if all this (and maybe more) is possible with the Riseman since it shows up here for pretty cheap. Otherwise, if I had to get a Protrek or something, I probably wouldn't do it because I think the watch might be too big, too nice, and too expensive for my needs.

The race isn't until August so I have plenty of time to save up. This isn't really a necessity for me, but I just thought it might be kind of a fun excuse to buy a watch.

Re: Riseman or Protrek for running a marathon on a mountain?

I cant speak for the Riseman, Protek`s have many varying feature sets;

PAG-40 is now an old design, lacking many of the newer models features, only having Chronograph, alarm and logging; min & max altitudes. runs on 4 lithium batteries.

PAG-80 & PAW-1100 have limited Chrono (10hrs) & CDT (60min) if it had 24hr, 100hr or even 1000hr it would be a much better field watch. No compass correction for declination. Logging is reasonable min & max total ascent & descent, and it is a sizable piece, equipped with a large duplex display; very much a field tool solar powered, world time, PAW has "Atomic" clock reception. Well suited to; extreme conditions, military, trekking.

PAW-1300 has one of the most capable modules having both 24hr Chrono & CDT combined with the same full featured logging as the PAG-80 & PAW-1100, you can even preselect the logging intervals and altimeter display formats, and the compass has declination correction, however in testing the watch is sensitive to sudden temperature change, which skews the barometer & altimeter, it`s ok if you constantly wear the 1300, if you strap it to your gear it`s not so good. Solar powered with "Atomic" clock reception, world time. Well suited to trekking, sports events, day to day wear, and for those that have a smaller wrist.

PAW-1500 has a 24hr Chrono, yet the CDT remains at 60 min, and the logging feature is very poor only recording only two values max altitude & user recorded altitude. Typically you would expect min & max total ascent & descent,even rate of ascent & descent from an ABC watch. Compass has declination correction, moon & tidal data, world time, solar powered with "Atomic" clock reception. Well suited to mixed activities marine/land etc

Casio have just released a new ABC the PRW-2000 it`s feature set is not yet fully released, so it may or may not offer more.

All the above are triple sensors with altimeter, Barometer and compass measurements.

I would recommend from Casio`s current range the PAW-1300, as it is one of the smaller ABC`s and had a well balanced feature set, most ABC`s don`t log temp as the watch is generally worn so it`s a moot point. Pricing is reasonable in the area of $180.

Casio ABC watches only have a resolution of 5m (20ft) and do not have barometric locks, so are more prone to the altimeter drifting with unstable weather conditions. If you require greater resolution & accuracy see below, although generally at the cost of a more complex device and power consumption

You may also want to look at the Highgear Altis, it has far more advanced ABC & logging functions, accuracy; rate of assent & descent, although this is a bigger watch than the Casio-1300, and somewhat less wearable on a day to day basis. pricing varies and good deals are around, RRP $190, battery powered. You can find more details in the "Digital & ABC watch" forum.

Suunto also offer a very accurate line up of ABC, however the cost reflects this.

Both of the above have user replaceable batteries, and for anything critical I would always recommend that you replace them prior to use. They can be changed in the field although this very much depends on weather conditions, this is where the Casio "Tough Solar" system has the edge, however I would recommend that you purchase in advance to ensure that the solar charging system is fully operational.

As with all ABC watches the accuracy of the altimeter is subjective and it is always best set the watches reference altitude to a known altitude prior to the start of the race, event, ascent or taking positional data etc.

PRW-1300-1V, PRG80YT-1V, PRG-40T-7V

PRG-130GB-1V (non "Atomic" version of PAW-1500)

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; April 6th, 2009 at 22:49.

Wow, what an in-depth analysis...yeah, what Q6 said.

Seriously, though, the Riseman's a great watch. But if you want that extra little kick, I'd suggest going for the Protrek (either the 110 or 130).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio Protrek nomenclature

PAW are mostly US market, PRW mostly Europe & Japanese market, PAG are the non "Atomic" US derivatives, and PRG is the non "Atomic" for the rest.

Best bet is to look what`s available in your region, or if you are looking for something different, Casio does launch various models (cosmetically) across several geographic regions www.casio.com

I normally look at the Japanese Protek site Protrek Japan as this has the best selection & newest releases, then the local site for my region to see if an equivalent has been launched i.e the PRW-1500GBJ-1JR (Japanese market "Atomic") & PRG-130GB 1VDR (non "Atomic" version for regions outside of reception)

Most common PRG Protreks are; 40, 80, 90, 110, 130 (non Atomic)

Most common Pathfinders & Protreks are; PAW/PRW are 1100, 1200, 1300, 1500 (Atomic), PAW is the Pathfinder & PRW the Protrek (trade names only)

Most Common PAG are; 40, 80 (non Atomic US etc market)

All are triple sensors full ABC function;

1VDR = Black
    2VDR = Blue
    3VDR = Green
    7VDR = Titanium
    YT = Titanium Ion coated (black)
    GB = Ballistic Nylon strap (certainly strap adapters)

Mostly written as 1V, 7V etc

I assume the Japanese naming convention is the same with J1 being black, and YT being hard coated titanium, also referred to as "Black Titans" and are the high end Protrek`s, with a high end price tag, don`t look for large discounts on Japanese market models, a PRW-1500YTJ-1JF, is $813 US (retail Casio JP) and I have seen them in the region of $730 US shipped.

Pricing is regional as well, I have seen the PRG-130GB retailing for $442 US in Hong Kong, yet I bought my one for $207 US in the Middle East, Singapore is a safe bet to source the PRG`s at reasonable pricing.

not definitive, just what I have observed.

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; April 6th, 2009 at 19:05.

Re: Casio Protrek nomenclature

My last ultra I wore a Pathfinder and every time I looked at it, I was stumbling over a root or some other hazard. If it is an unobstructed course....great. If not, I would stick with a Garmin on one wrist and a regular watch on the other. Good luck.

Fair play running a marathon. On a mountain!

I would echo Q-6 and say if you have to go for one or the other, go for the Pathfinder/Protrek.
    The PRW1300 is an excellent sports watch generally and the display is one of the clearest Ive seen.
    Very similar price to a Riseman too.

You can also download the watch manuals from Casio support directly, you will need the module numbers

PAW-1500 ---- Module 3134
    PAW-1300 ---- Module 3070
    PAW-1100 ---- Module 3043
    PAG-80 ------- Module 2894
    PAG-40 ------- Module 2771

Altis manual can be found on the Highgear site

Q-6

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Casio Protrek nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by RandM View Post
    My last ultra I wore a Pathfinder and every time I looked at it, I was stumbling over a root or some other hazard. If it is an unobstructed course....great. If not, I would stick with a Garmin on one wrist and a regular watch on the other. Good luck.
    my thoughts exactly

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    I cant speak for the Riseman, Protek`s have many varying feature sets;

PAG-40 is now an old design, lacking many of the newer models features, only having Chronograph, alarm and logging; min & max altitudes. runs on 4 lithium batteries.

PAG-80 & PAW-1100 have limited Chrono (10hrs) & CDT (60min) if it had 24hr, 100hr or even 1000hr it would be a much better field watch. No compass correction for declination. Logging is reasonable min & max total ascent & descent, and it is a sizable piece, equipped with a large duplex display; very much a field tool solar powered, world time, PAW has "Atomic" clock reception. Well suited to; extreme conditions, military, trekking.

PAW-1300 has one of the most capable modules having both 24hr Chrono & CDT combined with the same full featured logging as the PAG-80 & PAW-1100, you can even preselect the logging intervals and altimeter display formats, and the compass has declination correction, however in testing the watch is sensitive to sudden temperature change, which skews the barometer & altimeter, it`s ok if you constantly wear the 1300, if you strap it to your gear it`s not so good. Solar powered with "Atomic" clock reception, world time. Well suited to trekking, sports events, day to day wear, and for those that have a smaller wrist.

PAW-1500 has a 24hr Chrono, yet the CDT remains at 60 min, and the logging feature is very poor only recording only two values max altitude & user recorded altitude. Typically you would expect min & max total ascent & descent,even rate of ascent & descent from an ABC watch. Compass has declination correction, moon & tidal data, world time, solar powered with "Atomic" clock reception. Well suited to mixed activities marine/land etc

Casio have just released a new ABC the PRW-2000 it`s feature set is not yet fully released, so it may or may not offer more.

All the above are triple sensors with altimeter, Barometer and compass measurements.

I would recommend from Casio`s current range the PAW-1300, as it is one of the smaller ABC`s and had a well balanced feature set, most ABC`s don`t log temp as the watch is generally worn so it`s a moot point. Pricing is reasonable in the area of $180.

Casio ABC watches only have a resolution of 5m (20ft) and do not have barometric locks, so are more prone to the altimeter drifting with unstable weather conditions. If you require greater resolution & accuracy see below, although generally at the cost of a more complex device and power consumption

You may also want to look at the Highgear Altis, it has far more advanced ABC & logging functions, accuracy; rate of assent & descent, although this is a bigger watch than the Casio-1300, and somewhat less wearable on a day to day basis. pricing varies and good deals are around, RRP $190, battery powered. You can find more details in the "Digital & ABC watch" forum.

Suunto also offer a very accurate line up of ABC, however the cost reflects this.

Both of the above have user replaceable batteries, and for anything critical I would always recommend that you replace them prior to use. They can be changed in the field although this very much depends on weather conditions, this is where the Casio "Tough Solar" system has the edge, however I would recommend that you purchase in advance to ensure that the solar charging system is fully operational.

As with all ABC watches the accuracy of the altimeter is subjective and it is always best set the watches reference altitude to a known altitude prior to the start of the race, event, ascent or taking positional data etc.

PRW-1300-1V, PRG80YT-1V, PRG-40T-7V

PRG-130GB-1V (non "Atomic" version of PAW-1500)

Q-6
    Nice writeup Q6! Is that a Mousetrap game in the background on the first photo? Now we all know what you have really been working on in the mid-east!

That is definitely Mouse Trap. Man, that was my favorite game as a kid. I would get so unbelievably excited when that marble first started to roll down that hill...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information