Riseman Ruggedness

Thread: Riseman Ruggedness

Riseman Ruggedness

Hi All:
    First off, this is an excellent reference site, well done. I am about ready to purchase a Riseman GW-9200 after reading, researching and trying on many different models. I will be hiking, gardening and at the beach and was looking for some owners to let me know if this watch is tough enough to handle those activities. My previous G-Shock lasted 27 years and stopped working after a dive in Australia. It was a great tool. I am looking for another long-term dependable piece. Any time-tested advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for your assistance!
    Will

Inactive

Re: Riseman Ruggedness

27 years... omg :)

I've only had the riseman for about one year, so I'm not sure if it will last 27 years. But, I can tell you that my watch has absolutely no scratches, dings, or blemishes on it AT ALL. I have taken this watch hiking, rock climbing, skiing, and it has seen some pretty hard falls. I've even accidentally hit it on a few doors and tables and it still has nothing to show. So, from my experience, I think this watch is rugged enough to last decades. Also, this watch is really, really good looking and has just about the most functions of any G-Shock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by willwatch View Post
    Hi All:
    First off, this is an excellent reference site, well done. I am about ready to purchase a Riseman GW-9200 after reading, researching and trying on many different models. I will be hiking, gardening and at the beach and was looking for some owners to let me know if this watch is tough enough to handle those activities. My previous G-Shock lasted 27 years and stopped working after a dive in Australia. It was a great tool. I am looking for another long-term dependable piece. Any time-tested advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for your assistance!
    Will

None of the activities mentioned above could damage a G-shock, including the Riseman.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I'm sure it will be tough enough for you. I enjoyed the GW-9200 Rusty Black for the few months I had it.

But one thought is that if you want to wear this watch for 20 years, perhaps the Riseman's style will not age as gracefully as the familiar and simpler 5600 shape. Just a thought.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

I believe the Riseman is tough enough, like any other G.

Welcome.

It sounds like your original G-Shock had a great life. What was it that killed it exactly? Salt water inside the module? That would probably mean that the case gasket failed. I just wonder if there's any way to fix it, or what might have prevented it.

The GW-9200 Riseman is awesome. It's hard to say exactly how it would hold up compared to one of the old classic models. It's only been around for a couple years, and it's a lot more complicated. The case design has changed quite a bit, and I think the resin formula is probably a lot different. I would think it's still a good investment. It will be very interesting to see how modern G-Shocks hold up compared to earlier models. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Welcome.

It sounds like your original G-Shock had a great life. What was it that killed it exactly? Salt water inside the module? That would probably mean that the case gasket failed. I just wonder if there's any way to fix it, or what might have prevented it.

The GW-9200 Riseman is awesome. It's hard to say exactly how it would hold up compared to one of the old classic models. It's only been around for a couple years, and it's a lot more complicated. The case design has changed quite a bit, and I think the resin formula is probably a lot different. I would think it's still a good investment. It will be very interesting to see how modern G-Shocks hold up compared to earlier models. Only time will tell.
    Thanks to all of those who replied so far. I really appreciate it. My original G suffered a hairline crack (unknown to me at the time) in the main bezel and I believe eventually let water in during a dive. It lasted several dives before doing so however. The LCD is completely ruined but I cannot bring myself to throwing it away.

The Riseman is a good-looking watch and I believe it should prove worthy, but I wanted some feedback prior to dropping down the money. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. This is a great reference forum!

Sounds like Casio needs to up their warranty... 27 years is amazing, you should put that thing on the wall.
    Don't have a Riseman, although it is on the "to own" list, but I think it's a solid investment. I also am interested to see how the new ones will last compared to the older models.
    Last edited by NCsmky; January 26th, 2011 at 22:51.
    ~TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500m Cal.5~​Boschett Harpoon~G-Shock GW7900B-1~
    ~Citizen Nighthawk SS~Apple Watch Series 2~Breitling Avenger II GMT~

GW-9200 Riseman was my first 'modern' G. Its an excellent watch, even without the sensor functions. The module has time displayed in almost all modes, its comfortable and I like the looks too.

Mine has stood up to everything I've done with it (bit of hiking, ocean swimming, general chores/DIY, refereeing rugby matches in the mud and rain - not a bother.

Buy with confidence !

Thread Information