Rock/Ice Climbing

Thread: Rock/Ice Climbing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Off topic Rock/Ice Climbing

Guys this thread is for the college and high school age students. Like under 30 .Is anyone in here into rock/ice climbing and knows alot about it. If you are would you mind either PMing me or replying to this thread. I am new to the climbing field and want to make sure I have the right type of gear and if there is a certain kind of g shock I should use for climbing.

:thanks
    Jeffrey B.

Re: Rock/Ice Climbing

I've always wanted to take up rock climbing, but never had the chances or guts to do it . I'm 89.99999 sure that there would be a G shock watch that you could use while rock climbing there is a G for everything Have you tried a DW-6500 ? One special function on this watch is that it has a barometer where it uses a pressure sensor to measure changes in atmospheric pressure which you can then apply to your own weather predictions . There is also a barometric pressure graph that shows the pressure changes at a glance!! Another function is the Altimeter function where it can detect the current air pressure which is then used to estimate the current altitude in accordance with ISA (International Standard Atmosphere) values for altitude and air pressure .
    I remember not long ago I saw a G shock where the swing tag had a picture of a person rock climbing. Weather this was just say that the watch is rock hard or that it meant you could uses it while rock climbing I'm not sure.

I CAN CLIMB TREES! does that count? :-D
    im actually afraid of heights haha
    BROADARROW: PRS-4Q
    CASIO: DW-6100, GW200TC-2V(FROGMAN), G9000-3V (MUDMAN), DW5600E-1V, GW1200BA-1AV, GW6900, PAW-1300-1V(PATHFINDER), GW-7900B, G-7900
    SWISS ARMY: ACTIVE ORIGINAL SAI 24378
    SEIKO: BLACK MONSTER, SKX007, 300M TUNA CAN
    OAKLEY: D1 BLACK/BLACK

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I climb a little bit here and there. I honestly wouldn't take anything better than a basic 5600 6600 or 6900 since I would expect them to get banged up pretty well.
    DW-003S, DW-5600C, G-306X, G-741D, GE-2000, GT-001, GW-200MS, GW-5600J, GW-9010, GW-9100, GW-9200, MTG-920DA, MTG-520M

Wanted: MRG-1200T

The only thing I've ever climbed is the stairs to my apartment when the lift is on the blink, but I agree — buy the cheapest 5600 you can find and beat the hell out of it without a second thought.

I use to go to the Avila (a mountain that's close from my house) and I've also climbed on the mall atractions lol:-D
    Be today, better than yesterday.
    Batman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cherubim View Post
    I climb a little bit here and there. I honestly wouldn't take anything better than a basic 5600 6600 or 6900 since I would expect them to get banged up pretty well.
    :thanksI rotate between my 6600 and my 6100 with the thermometer function for now. I also bid on a 6700 skyforce for about 25.00 plus shipping so that will become my climbing watch due to the fact that it has an altimeter and thermometer.:thanks

Hey... watch that age restiction there youngin...

My climbing partner of 5 years was nearly twice my age and could outclimb any of the young rock jocks out there.

I climbed (note the past tense) for about 10 years. Mostly sport climbing with a little mountaineering. I was actually pretty good pulling 5.11 moves. Eventually I got completely into bouldering and never looked back. Nothing better than a 5.12 move 4 feet off the ground.

As for my rock climbing days. It never mattered what watch... It always came off and went into my pack when climbing. Rocks and watches... even G Shocks dont mix. Especially the sand stone of the southeast. When I spent a month in Alasksa I wore a Timex 8 lap triathalon and had no probs...

:) Its like this... dont worry about what watch a "climber" wears... Wear what YOU like. As for seriousl limbing I think you will find that a watch will get in the way of hand jams and will usually become too tight as your arms and hands swell with lots of climbing.

I spoke to a guy the other day at REI. He was giving a lecture on some first ascents in Alaska. After the show I asked him about watches... (he had a Protrek on) LOL.. I know.... im a geek. He said something like this...
    "Im not into sponsorships or gear. I use what works. For every climber or skiier you see in the magazines sponsored by Rolex... there are 10 more guys out there REALLY doing it... Really going after the "STUFF"... they wear whatever is cheap and works."

There you go! :)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    Hey... watch that age restiction there youngin...

My climbing partner of 5 years was nearly twice my age and could outclimb any of the young rock jocks out there.

I climbed (note the past tense) for about 10 years. Mostly sport climbing with a little mountaineering. I was actually pretty good pulling 5.11 moves. Eventually I got completely into bouldering and never looked back. Nothing better than a 5.12 move 4 feet off the ground.

As for my rock climbing days. It never mattered what watch... It always came off and went into my pack when climbing. Rocks and watches... even G Shocks dont mix. Especially the sand stone of the southeast. When I spent a month in Alasksa I wore a Timex 8 lap triathalon and had no probs...

:) Its like this... dont worry about what watch a "climber" wears... Wear what YOU like. As for seriousl limbing I think you will find that a watch will get in the way of hand jams and will usually become too tight as your arms and hands swell with lots of climbing.

I spoke to a guy the other day at REI. He was giving a lecture on some first ascents in Alaska. After the show I asked him about watches... (he had a Protrek on) LOL.. I know.... im a geek. He said something like this...
    "Im not into sponsorships or gear. I use what works. For every climber or skiier you see in the magazines sponsored by Rolex... there are 10 more guys out there REALLY doing it... Really going after the "STUFF"... they wear whatever is cheap and works."

There you go! :)
    Sorry Jeff, just alot of guys at the gym I go to are college students and that was not ment to be mean.

it was not taken as mean my friend. I climbed all through college... Its not a young mans sport, but the sport does seem to have a "life". Enjoy it! its a blast! But my wrists and hands will likely never be "healthy" again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information