A Rough 27 Hours!!

Thread: A Rough 27 Hours!!

The only state created during the Civil War.

A Rough 27 Hours!!

One of the worst storms came through our area yesterday evening between 7 and 8:00. Winds up to in excess of 80 MPH in some areas of our state with over 600,000 people without power. It was mentioned earlier today that we would be without power for several days. We just moved to our first home back in March and we found out today that the area which we live in, this is the longest time they have been without power. Power was restored about 3 hours ago.

To put it in perspective, the weather today reached up to around 100 degrees, with no air with exception of every window in the house opened which made it unbearable for humans and pets alike. 14 miles west of us is the local mall with several eaterys that was jammed packed with long lines of people waiting and wanting to eat. We were told the wait would be over an hour when it only took 45 mins to get seated. The gas station was busy from 10:30 this morning to over 5:00 with lines as long as I ever seen it since back in the 70s when we experienced the gas shortage. No place within a 15 mile radius had bags of ice for sale. One ice plant was without power with no way of making ice made it worse.

Our society has become reliant on electronic gadgets such as the cell phone and computers. Sometimes I think about how we survived 40 years ago without it. What is ironic and unbelievable, that our neighbors behind us are still without power and no idea when there's will be turned on. The National Weather Service is calling for another storm is coming later on tonight. I just hope and pray it will not cause another outage.
    Last edited by 4Play; July 1st, 2012 at 19:45.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

Thoughts and prayers sent your way. I take it that you are near Maryland. My mother in-law was without power for a while from the storm and told us how hot it was. Hopefully power is restored to your neighbors soon and the next round of storms is not as severe. And yes...what would we do without electronics?!?!

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Re: A Rough 27 Hours!!

I've spent the last 27 hours or so sitting drinking with friends and strangers at a bar. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If ever you want to try life in a cooler climate, I heartily recommend Europe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hoping everyone comes through OK.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I feel your pain. We live in northern VA and I just happened to be driving back from Northern DE last night with my parents, girlfriend and 10-day old daughter when the storm came upon us unexpectedly in MD around DC. The wind was so strong everyone thought a tornado was striking and most cars were crowding under the overpasses. Lots of downed trees in the roadways and it was quite a terrifying experience. Eventually got too dangerous to drive in and we were able to find a hotel that still had power for the night. Now my parents make it down to hampton roads today just in time for their home to be assaulted by hail from the latest storm. Truly unprecedented events... Thoughts go out to those left without power in this heat.

I really appreciate your thoughts and concerns. We were very fortunate we were not without power for days. My wife and I live in WV and it's so ironic that I am off work until July 5, and today (Sunday) is our 6th wedding anniversary. What a way to celebrate 6 years of marriage. Keep your fingers and toes crossed that the next storm will not be as severe as the last one.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

According to the news 13 people has perished, and an astonishing 3 million are without power. With the fires in Colorado, and now the weekend weather wreaking havoc on the east coast, this is turning into the wildest summer I can ever remember. Thoughts and prayers go to those involved.

Gone But Not Forgotten:

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Wow, I wasn't aware of it being this extensive. I'm glad to hear you've averted the bulk of the disaster, 4Play! I hope all those affected find reparations coming soon and begin to get back towards a normal life. Amazing how fragile our modern lifes are these days. The media and modern technology often makes for a false sense of security.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I have family in the southern most part of WV on the VA border. Spoke to my cousin earlier who said his area is without power and water. They are getting by on generators and jugs of water from nearby creeks. He heard that they will be down until Friday or Saturday, and that is just an estimate for now depending on how bad the area is. The director of Homeland Security said it will be several days before they will hav an assessment of the severity. To be honest, this is just the beginning of what could become worse in the days to come. If any of you have family or friends on the east coast, I would recommend you staying in contact with them to make sure they are ok.

Gone But Not Forgotten:

Thread Information