Rubber and Steel (cases)
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By kung-fusion
  • 2 Post By Watch_Geekmaster

Thread: Rubber and Steel (cases)

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,747

    Rubber and Steel (cases)

    Do some G-Shocks actually have an outer case made of both rubber and steel? How would a replacement for that work?

    I used to have an early solar/atomic model that I am pretty sure had an outer case made of both materials. But But I can't remember the model, or even what it looked like exactly.

    I believe there are some all-steel G-Shocks. But I don't understand how they could even be considered a G since the steel case is not one of the true shock resistant element. What makes it different than other Casio models that are made of hard resin, but are not considered G-Shocks? Such as the DW-290, Twin-Sensor, etc.

    Thanks
    ShockMister

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    7,352
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    Do some G-Shocks actually have an outer case made of both rubber and steel? How would a replacement for that work?

    I used to have an early solar/atomic model that I am pretty sure had an outer case made of both materials. But But I can't remember the model, or even what it looked like exactly.

    I believe there are some all-steel G-Shocks. But I don't understand how they could even be considered a G since the steel case is not one of the true shock resistant element. What makes it different than other Casio models that are made of hard resin, but are not considered G-Shocks? Such as the DW-290, Twin-Sensor, etc.

    Thanks
    Most have cases made of hard resin (like plastic) with a steel caseback and a soft resin bezel on top. (E.g. dw-5600e )

    Some have an all steel case with a soft resin bezel on top (e.g. gw-5000, dw-5030)

    Some have an all steel case with no resin (some MR-G models for example)

    Some have steel and soft resin as part of the bezel (e.g. stargate) with a hard resin case and steel caseback

    In short, casio has experimented with a variety of constructions. As long as they can pass G-shock test criteria, they can be g-shocks. Most normal Casios can probably pass those criteria as well (the criteria are not difficult to pass). G-shock is more of a brand thing now than a pure statement of what the watch can withstand. They are all "tough enough" and some are probably much tougher than others
    xevious, r00t61 and Ozimandius like this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Rubber and Steel (cases)

    Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Some have steel and soft resin as part of the bezel (e.g. stargate) with a hard resin case and steel caseback
    This is what my first question was about. I don't understand the reasoning behind having a "replaceable" case that is half steel. The whole idea behind the replaceable outer case is that it could eventually rot and deteriorate.
    ShockMister

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    7,352
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post

    This is what my first question was about. I don't understand the reasoning behind having a "replaceable" case that is half steel. The whole idea behind the replaceable outer case is that it could eventually rot and deteriorate.
    And the Stargate has like 16 screws holding it all together. Very weird design...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Rubber and Steel (cases)

    Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    And the Stargate has like 16 screws holding it all together. Very weird design...

    Interesting.
    ShockMister

  7. #6
    Member xevious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about
    Posts
    6,100

    Re: Rubber and Steel (cases)

    Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    And the Stargate has like 16 screws holding it all together. Very weird design...
    While terrific nostalgia for the Stargate series, the DW-8300 is super weird and more of a conversation piece than something usable. Its a shame that so many of those resin bits suffered resin rot. Even if you find one intact in the wild, no telling when that resin will decay. I've read about so many cases where the resin looked perfectly fine, even responded well to some physical pressure, but then one day--crack. Fell apart. A real gamble with those. Plus, they look absolutely terrible without the resin. At least with something like the DW-5700 you can use a 5600 bezel on it.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Rubber and Steel (cases)

    Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    While terrific nostalgia for the Stargate series, the DW-8300 is super weird and more of a conversation piece than something usable. Its a shame that so many of those resin bits suffered resin rot. Even if you find one intact in the wild, no telling when that resin will decay. I've read about so many cases where the resin looked perfectly fine, even responded well to some physical pressure, but then one day--crack. Fell apart. A real gamble with those. Plus, they look absolutely terrible without the resin. At least with something like the DW-5700 you can use a 5600 bezel on it.
    That Stargate is pretty bizarre. :) The GWM-850 is more along the lines of what I was thinking.
    ShockMister

  9. #8
    Member Watch_Geekmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,100

    Re: Rubber and Steel (cases)

    For the older GW500 and MTG900 series, as well as newer version GWM500 and MTGM900 series, the bezel is make out of two pieces: a resin piece and a metal piece. They are merely taped together with adhesive tapes. The metal piece I think it's partially for decorative purpose, but at least for these models it's big enough to have some protective purpose.
    Name:  gwm500a-1_large.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.2 KB

    There are some other G-shocks that have a metal ring around the bezel, such as the GW2310 and AWGM100. Again, it's likely affixed by adhesive only and mostly for decorative purpose.

    Name:  gw2310-1_large.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  44.2 KBName:  awgm100-1a_large.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.5 KB


    Some even worse, where it appears to be a continuous metal ring, but it's not! Like the G9000 series Mudman, it's actually 3 small pieces of metal on the bezel, totally for decorative purpose only!
    Name:  gw9010-1_large.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  62.1 KB
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; October 5th, 2015 at 05:36.
    GaryK30 and ShockMister like this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Why no Tempered Blued Steel Cases?
      By Bugra in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: August 10th, 2016, 12:14
    2. Hard steel cases :
      By IainToo in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: May 28th, 2013, 03:26
    3. Stainless Steel Cases
      By STU755 in forum Jörg Schauer & STOWA
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: January 30th, 2012, 19:12
    4. Looking for supplier for stainless steel cases
      By Happosai in forum Watchmaking
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: September 25th, 2011, 00:10
    5. Steel of Amphibian cases....
      By cestommek in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: March 23rd, 2008, 18:00

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •