Ruggedness of G-Shock?

Thread: Ruggedness of G-Shock?

Nemesis

Ruggedness of G-Shock?

Hi folks! I tried this question on another forum, but didn't really get any in-depth answers - they were all really busy on a sidetracked discussion, though they did give me the address to this place, so hopefully better luck here.

How does the DW-5600E compare to the more bulked up models as far as ruggedness goes?

I just wondered because this watch is so much thinner than the other g-shocks on display at the store and I was curious what exactly they sacrificed in terms of ruggedness to get it down to the smaller size.

Re: Ruggedness of G-Shock?

To me all my G-Shocks are the same, i have a DW-5600B which is smaller then the rest of my G's but it will take all beatings without a problem .

Grtz Kacho B-)

Wink Re: Ruggedness of G-Shock?

The original DW-5X00C models were constructed in the old triple G criteria. I have read stories in the past about these models that have survived rough experiences. THe newer square DW-5600E has, if I'm right a resin case. This doesn't meant that the watch sould be weaker, modern resin can be very strong and shock absorbing. They still can survive the most important 2 G criteria (200m water resist and survive a 10m (30ft) drop on concrete.

The new G(W)-056 (in metal case) is the new high tech development of casio. An ultra thin watch (10mm) and still 200 wr and 10m concrete floor resist. An other remarkable development a few years ago were the LCD displays in several Cockpit models. Can you imagine a LCD with a hole in it and a movement that sticks through it and still shock resist!

Eventually you can get anything broken, but I won't worry too much about the roughness of G-Shock.

Cheers,

Sjors

P.S. Although it sounds like it, I'm not a pr man of Casio, just an enthousiast.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Arguably, the 5600 has less protection for the LED than other G-Shocks, because the surrounding bezel is lower. However, I never seem to read of this being a problem, and I've never had a problem with my G-5600.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

The "Wongster mod" is your friend.

Where is Wongster anyway? Sent him a PM, long time no see.

Greetings All,
    I tend to see the raised bridge of the 5600e series as something for abrasion. Seen a watch or two ruined in a sliding (one a sliding tackle!). If you can imagine it, you end up "sanding" back your watch on the ground.
    It's was something that I saw of a problem for my timex ironman, with it's easy to reach buttons on the face.

Actually, I read on Sjors' site that he managed to dent a 6900 (or 069?) crystal face. In this case I tend to see it (hitting the crystal face) as something of a game of luck. I suppose you could always cut out a soda bottle and use that as some sort of protector. Assuming you can still read the time through it.

In so far as bulkiness, imho, you really don't know how chunky your watch is until after a while you put on something else.

Picture Re: Ruggedness of G-Shock?

Ill say it again here... they are all tough as nails. The 5600 has more of a chance for a crystal ding but thats abotu it. There is nothign wrong with 5600's they are super tough.. and have that oldschool appeal!

I think a lot of the larger bezels are mainly to bulk them up and give them that "g" look!!!

Cant go wrong with a 5600!

By the way Nemisis, if you are interested in a 5600 I jsut saw a very cool atomic/solar model on antoher site for sale for under 70.00 ((no relation to the seller))...

Just trying to help!

Thread Information