Sai's Tutorial #1: How to Militarize your G-shock
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Sai's Tutorial #1: How to Militarize your G-shock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sai's Tutorial #1: How to Militarize your G-shock

For this tutorial, I am going to teach you how to change your G-shock's module into a Military Red Eye Version. Some might say its as easy as putting a red plastic cover infront of the module, but that's not it. We want it clean and legit. We want to modify the look and make it a badass military style watch. I already gave up looking for that Polarizing Film (which is unfortunately only available online) that can be used to stealth the display of your G-shock. But when I went to Timedepot to shop for some Military G, I saw a

that made me crazy all night finding out how can I do it to my own G.
    As I always say, this worked for me and my G but I can't assure you that it'll work for your gear. I used my Bezel Stealthed G2110-1S

for this tutorial.

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

This tutorial REQUIRES TOTAL DISASSEMBLY of YOUR G-SHOCK. Total time of tutorial to be completed is 45 minutes.

Militarize Your G-shock:

First, prepare the necessary tools that you need to disassemble your G-shock watch.

a. Anti-Magnetic Metal Tweezers
    b. Precision Screws
    c. Plastic Folder of any color (must be transparent enough that light will pass through it - I chose red to give that Military look)
    d. Cutter or Scissors
    e. Your guts and patience :)

DISASSEMBLY:

1. Remove the Straps
    2. Open your G-shock module by removing the screws of the Stainless Steel Plate (back cover)
    3. Make sure you save your gasket
    4. Remove the module rubber protector
    5. remove the whole module
    6. remove battery

Module disassembly:

5.1 removed the metal protector (it will expose the sensitive parts of the module so handle with care)

5.2 follow the diagram for easier understanding of the module's parts
    5.2.1 make sure that you handle the illuminator spring contacts carefully. (they might sprung out of nowhere)

5.3 remove the dial color and trace it on your colored acetate, plastic or transparent folder (mine is red for that military look)

5.4 put the traced portion as a replacement for the stock color (this is the magic)
    5.5 assemble your module (follow diagram again)

7. Put the batteries again (if the led wont show the time, then touch the AC with + of battery using your metal tweezers)
    8. Put the whole module back together
    9. Put silicon gel on your gasket (if you dont have any, I think petrolume gel will do)
    10. Put back the module rubber protector
    11. Screw down the back plate, but dont overdo the screws.
    12. Put the straps
    13. And take that wristshot!

Tada!!!

From GS2110-1S

to GS2110RE-MSPEC-1 (I made that up. :) )

I busted some parts of the LED Display but its all minor.
    Thanks for reading!

Sai
    Last edited by Saisao; May 21st, 2012 at 04:56.
    wuyeah, GShockMe, azziman and 4 others like this.

Re: Sai's Tutorial #1: How to Militarize your G-shock

tacti-cool. :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Looks good. I might want to try that on something. Was the busted LCD a result of using a thicker material or just pressing the wrong place too hard during dis/reassembly?
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not the material, I actually used a thinner plastic compared to the original stock color. Maybe I punched it too hard when I tried using a camo printed acetate.
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    Looks good. I might want to try that on something. Was the busted LCD a result of using a thicker material or just pressing the wrong place too hard during dis/reassembly?

Thanks man! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    tacti-cool. :)

you make it look so easy but i'll still scared touch mine that way :P

It doesn't look like the LCD is busted. It looks more like it is not making full contact with the rubber contact strip. One very small part of the strip is probably not making contact with the LCD.

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Great tutorial especially the home brewed schematics... Must confess that I wasn't aware that 'red' constituted a 'military' look, always assumed it was a stealthy black. Learn something every day!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Appreciate your info on taking apart a G, but that red color does not look tactical at all. Green...maybe, but red???

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Great tutorial especially the home brewed schematics... Must confess that I wasn't aware that 'red' constituted a 'military' look, always assumed it was a stealthy black. Learn something every day!
    Most G`s used in military are black with a "normal" positive display. It is a red backlight that would be useful for military purposes, since it is the preferable colour for night operations because it is

1. hard(er) to detect (as oposed to a bright greenish/bluish EL) for both - human eyes and NVG's
    2. it maintains your night vision.

So a truly military inspired G should have ideally a positive display with a (subdued) red negative illumination - now Casio make one.

cheers
    Super Diver, LUW, Sedi and 1 others like this.
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information