Samsung Gear Sport
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Samsung Gear Sport

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Samsung Gear Sport

I been eying this one for quite a time. Tried it in store, liked size and how simple it's to operate but always delayed purchase for both price and necessity reasons. I don't need smartwatch and i don't need ABC or whatever.
    I got it now because it spring and i will start running again and will try to get into half marathon. Last year i got to 10K and it was really important for me to keep track of my pulse, distance and pace. I could of done distance and pace but running with phone somewhere was not the best.
    Pace was not problem around track but on longer runs along streets and trails Timex GPS did not cut that well.
    So i purchased this one.
    Name:  DSC03452.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  92.6 KB
    Name:  DSC03453.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  DSC03454.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  91.2 KB
    It comes with Wi-Fi, GPS, pressure sensor and HR sensor (among other things) can play music while you run and work completely phone free on the run.
    In past four days it went from full to 40% in 3 days of my use. So battery life was impressive.
    Comfort is top notch, size is good even for my small wrist, shape , strap ... all as good as you can ask in frankly very impressive yet budget wearable.
    It tracks exercise and for what it worth i had no problems so far during different activities. It still -13 outside so i have not tried to run with it around track or trail... yet.
    There is plenty of watchfaces and apps. It came with 3 "faces" full of apps.
    Two button setup and rotating bezel are really easy to operate and mostly intuitive.
    Funny thing i actually do miss my regular watches. I love them and in the future Samsung will get heavy use as fitness pal but not as primary watch. But who knows.
    Screen is bright and crisp and animation of analog face mimicking mechanical watch.
    So far it's a good purchase and for main question can it be your only watch.... it can but i am not sure 100%. While working on things at home i caught myself removing it from the wrist.. thing i never did with G-Shock or Casio... or Timex... or almost whatever.
    But it's just me. Wearables undergo same set of tests as regular watches in order to be sold. So they comply both with watch centric regulation and electronic regulation. Thus 50m WR, shock resistance, button test, etc... are same as any regular Casio will undergo.
    Once i will start running i will post more updates.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; March 6th, 2019 at 22:26.
    It should be special!

Re: Samsung Gear Sport

What made you choose this over something like the Garmin Instinct? Battery, features?
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanjeepguy View Post
    What made you choose this over something like the Garmin Instinct? Battery, features?
    Size, comfort and operation with bezel. Also i got it half price comparing to Garmin. When it just tool i not sure going to use every day half price is solid argument.
    Also i had hands on experience with Samsung and 0 with Garmin.
    It wears almost like square G.
    Name:  DSC03456.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  83.6 KB
    Name:  DSC03457.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  71.4 KB
    FROG, greg1491, WES51 and 1 others like this.
    It should be special!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have the Sport, S3 and the newsest Galaxy Watch. Love all of them but still don't get the wrist time my G's do.
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Galaxy Watch
    Attached Images Attached Images

FROG, Rocket1991 and Nemo_Sandman like this.

Galaxy S3 and Watch are tid big for me. This one (Gear Sport) was totally perfect in size and cuff friendly.
    Screen has some anti smudge coating and AR,. Band is standard 20mm quick release very soft and with close holes so you can find comfortable fit.
    50m WR it shower friendly. Buttons are big and totally operable on the run (while running stairs up and down i clocked 40 floors).
    Interestingly it counts floors only on the way up.
    It should be special!

congrats for getting back into running :)

The watch is really nice.

The MP3 player is nice, but I wouldn't obsess over features. I ran two marathons, two halfs, and a lot of 10 milers, 10ks and 5ks with nothing but a cheap watch (or no watch.) Even now I use pulse counting for my heart rate, even when erging. All you really need is time...:)
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FROG View Post
    congrats for getting back into running :)

The watch is really nice.

The MP3 player is nice, but I wouldn't obsess over features. I ran two marathons, two halfs, and a lot of 10 milers, 10ks and 5ks with nothing but a cheap watch (or no watch.) Even now I use pulse counting for my heart rate, even when erging. All you really need is time...:)
    I really don't obsess over features, that's the reason why i was using mostly Timex Ironman/Casio 120 laps when i was exercising and not training and before just any watch... before i started to forget how many laps i did.
    Gear Sport was totally impulse purchase.
    Time and resilience to go! I did not set up all "smartwatch" part with e-mails, notifications, call answering, voice commands... apparently i can just say "Hey start running" instead of digging through options.
    Although i can preset shortcuts for workouts too.
    This Sunday it should be +8C and raining... i will get my first run if i find clear place. Running on wet ice is total no go.
    FROG likes this.
    It should be special!

I really wish Casio would produce more than 1 proper runners model in G-Shock line preferably with Solar and MB6, but i only can wish.
    Another dislike was size of the digits. Running in the dark was stretching my ability to tolerate how small of the font i can see on the run.
    FROG and WES51 like this.
    It should be special!

Some updates.Been wearing Gear almost non stop for two weeks.
    There is 0 issues with comfort or quality. Bright sun, dark room ... screen is good.
    Tried some watch faces ... got tired.
    Notifications, replays, calculator... all work. Not much to look there folks... move along.
    Few kinks of different kind. Smaller one is algorithm turning screen on is bit specific. You need to make full gesture i look at my watch wait for half a second and you get what you want.
    Problem is it very strict on how you do it. That is annoying part.
    My bigger concern is fitness part of the watch. It's not a runners watch. To fulfill this one i will need to find 3d party app for my needs.
    It's general purpose fitness watch and not really training watch.
    Most glitches are software and as such i start filling Samsung forums with my concerns.
    Hardware side and designs are good, battery life is good.
    It's great smartwatch yet take away lesson is if you do some specific exercise you rather research how stock software works or what is available from 3d party developers
    Miklos86 likes this.
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information