Sapphire Crystal Upgrade - G-Shocks
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TinyHippo
  • 1 Post By zack20cb
  • 1 Post By TinyHippo
  • 3 Post By zack20cb

Thread: Sapphire Crystal Upgrade - G-Shocks

Sapphire Crystal Upgrade - G-Shocks

Is there any crystal manufacturers that offer sapphire crystal replacements for G-shock model?
    babyivan likes this.

It would surprise me. The high-resolution printing on the underside of the crystal requires tight process control, so it’s hard to imagine someone going to all that trouble to sell an aftermarket crystal. If it did exist, we would know about it.

The raised bezel on most G-shocks does a good job of warding off scratches, and if you do get a scratch, it’s not expensive to replace the crystal. It’s generally a $10 part from Casio, and if you’re reasonably handy you don’t even need a watchmaker to do it for you. If you do need a watchmaker, it should be a very cheap job, $25 at most.
    memento_mori likes this.

Re: Sapphire Crystal Upgrade - G-Shocks

Thanks zach20cb. The primary reason for my wanting an upgrade was the glare / visibility aspect. No biggie, I can live with the OEM crystal.
    memento_mori likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TinyHippo View Post
    Thanks zach20cb. The primary reason for my wanting an upgrade was the glare / visibility aspect. No biggie, I can live with the OEM crystal.
    Interesting. I was under the impression that sapphire had more glare than other options, due to its higher index of refraction. (Which can be mitigated with anti-reflective coatings, at some expense.)
    babyivan, Tetsu Tekubi and ewewew like this.

Interesting proposition. Never had to do a crystal replacement, getting the adhesive right might require some research but like most other things, it can probably be done right with proper planning and materials

Quote Originally Posted by pl_gristle View Post
    Interesting proposition. Never had to do a crystal replacement, getting the adhesive right might require some research but like most other things, it can probably be done right with proper planning and materials
    For the DW-5600, and I imagine for many other models as well, there is a thin, clear plastic insert that effectively acts as double-sided tape.

I believe there are also other models where the crystal *cannot* be removed. I came to this conclusion regarding the G-7700, but I may have been mistaken.

Thread Information