Sapphire Glass..??

Thread: Sapphire Glass..??

Suspended

Sapphire Glass..??

All manufacturers of watches currently use Sapphire glass in its models.
    Such as: Tissot, Seiko, Citizen, Omega, Momo Design, Certina, Bulova, Caravelle, Suunto and much more.
    Somebody remembers a Casio with Sapphire glass currently?
    All the best for all members

Re: Sapphire Glass..??

You posted a short while ago about my Atomic Solar Executive... they were originally introduced (at least in the US) under the brand name "Oceanus."

The Oceanus models are virtually the same as the Casios I bought... except the Oceanus has sapphire and some titanium cases. Different trim also.

Watch out for the price though!

Here's a link http://www.oceanus-us.com/

Regards

MRG-2100, MRG-3000, MRG-7000/7100 all has sapphire crystal

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Casios "Clay"
    All manufacturers of watches currently use Sapphire glass in its models.
    Such as: Tissot, Seiko, Citizen, Omega, Momo Design, Certina, Bulova, Caravelle, Suunto and much more.
    Somebody remembers a Casio with Sapphire glass currently?
    All the best for all members
    Saphire resists scratching much much beter than minerial glass BUT shatTers a LOT easier ! the best combo IN my opinion is saphire coated minerial glass !! BUT I prefer saphire on my better watches ! wish all Giez had it !!

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Another good point for a watch

Cool Re: Sapphire Glass..??

Quote Originally Posted by pipes
    Saphire resists scratching much much beter than minerial glass BUT shatTers a LOT easier ! the best combo IN my opinion is saphire coated minerial glass !! BUT I prefer saphire on my better watches ! wish all Giez had it !!
    These are the different kind of crystal materials:

Saphire= Virtualy impossible to scratch, it is the second hardest gemstone material after Diamond. The kind used on watches are synthetic ones so they are not so expensive to make. The disadvantage of saphire crystal is the fact that it is rather brittle and crack quite easily when impacted due to its enormous inner tensions. So it is not very suitable for a G. There is some G's that is claimed to have a Saphire crystal but I doubt they are only Saphire most likely a combo of Saphire coating and mineral glass underneath otherwise they would not be so Shock resistant.

Mineral Glass= Comes in different qualitys and hardness. Most mineral glass watches has the cheaper kind that is ordinary window glass. Not very scratch resistant and not so resistable to shocks either. The type used in G's are hardened tempered glass of the same kind used in diving Googles. Very hard and though and resist shocks quite well more so then Saphire crystal!.

Plexiglass /Acrylig Glass= The cheapest watch crystal material and it is very soft and therefore scratch easily. However it is almost impossible to shatter it so it is very shock proof. It is the most shock resistant material that you can use for a watch crystal. It can also be glued together with other material by using liquid Chloroform, also known as trichloromethane. This will cause the surface to melt and can then be fused with for instance Mineral Glass or Saphire Crystal and the surface between the two materials will be almost invisible. The perfect combination is a Scratch Proof Saphire coating about 3 mmm thick and a underlaying 4 mm thick Acrylic Crystal that is very shock proof. This material I think is used on some Seikos under the trade name Saphlex. It is the best crystal in the watch world. I sure would like to se it on a G.

Personally I cannot stand sapphire. It's brittle and shatters too easily. It has no business on a outdoor/diving type watch.

It is not rugged enough for active use.

Thread Information