Sapphire Glass in G Shock ?

Thread: Sapphire Glass in G Shock ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ItsAboutTime

Sapphire Glass in G Shock ?

Are there any G Shock models that have sapphire glass? Other then those uber-expensive MR-G series. I think that this kind of watch should have sapphire, since glass is the first thing to go in extreme conditions.

Re: Sapphire Glass in G Shock ?

I think there a two reasons that they do not use sapphire but hardened mineral:

a) Sapphire is more expensive

b) Mineral can withstand shocks better without breaking than sapphire. Scratches is a different matter, but people with Gs are not affraid but proud of scratches :-D G-Shocks are functional watches not jewelry

Ad

Wink Re: Sapphire Glass in G Shock ?

Like this?? Nice reaction Adanac! Never seen it that way.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

buddha-g

Remember, too, that is why G's have a raised bezel. The mineral crystal is recessed a few mm below the edge of the bezel to act as an integrated bumper to help avoid scratches. I have to say, I have scratched many watch crystals, but in nearly 20 years of owning G's, I have never once scratched a G crystal. Maybe it's been luck, but I think the raised bezel goes a long way. In fact, I have a pretty nice Citizen Navihawk with a Sappire crystal in for repair right now - because I scrtached the Sapphire!! I have no idea how!

Quote Originally Posted by buddha-g
    - because I scrtached the Sapphire!! I have no idea how!
    Be careful with your diamonds next time then

Ad

buddha-g

I'm serious. I understand it's "supposed" to be as hard a diamond, I know all about the properties of Sappire against scrtaching but able to be cracked if hit directly on with a blunt object. Maybe it says more about the "type" of Sappire in this particular watch, but I sure as hell scratched it. I took it into a local watch shop thinking they "might" be able to buff it out or something, but as feared they recommended getting a new crystal from Citizen because Sappire cannot really be repaired that way. If I had it I'd take a pic.

I wear at least 1 G-Shock the past 6 years. I only managed once to get thecrystal scratched and I had to do very difficult stupidities to get it scratched. Somehow I was very lucky, because if I didn't wore that watch, a very shap screw sticking out inside a large pipe would have torn my arm open!

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

i don't know if i can agree to this
    glass is the first thing to go in extreme conditions
    i usually bunged up the case really bad before i put any serious damage to the crystal

but scratched crystal is really annyoying sometimes

keep in mind that mineral crystal keep the production cost down as well

if i am paying good money for a watch, it would want sapphire crystal

(one of the reason I sold my Seiko Marinemaster 300M auto is that it doesn't have a sapphire crystal from the factory. everything else about that watch is great. i know there were a lot of discussion about hardex vs sapphire at the time of production and cost of production. but if am paying that kind of money, i would like a peace of mind about scratching the crystal. since now sapphire crystal is available for the Seiko MM, i *might* consider having 1 back and install the sapphire crystal)

ItsAboutTime

Personally, I am not sure it has something to do with the production cost, since there are plenty of watches for $200 with sapphire glass (Tissot for example) and every Frogman costs at least $200 (at least in USA).
    As for durability and direct hit, why then they use sapphire in latest MR-G for like $500? It's not meant to be 'real' G shock then and meant for casual use?

Anyway, I ordered cockpit Shock from Japan and thinking of buying Frogman next, hope that "hidden" crystal works out good, because all my watches with mineral glass have plenty of scratches.

WHich Cockpit did you buy? THe G-520D-4AV is my favorit, but is a few weeks ago confiscated by a student of me... I like the metal protectors. I think it's hard to get this crystal scratched!

Cheers,

Sjors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information