Screw back Squares...

Thread: Screw back Squares...

Screw back Squares...

hi, i was hoping someone could help me. i was wondering which 'basic' square G (5000 or 5600) has a screw back case? by basic, i mean not limited edition-types like the spike lee or ocean grey ones. thanks!

Re: Screw back Squares...

Quote Originally Posted by jiro32 View Post
    hi, i was hoping someone could help me. i was wondering which 'basic' square G (5000 or 5600) has a screw back case? by basic, i mean not limited edition-types like the spike lee or ocean grey ones. thanks!
    Screwback designs were discontinued with the introduction of the DW-5600E. Nowadays they're only available in special editions. The closest to a "regular production model" is the very expensive GW-5000.

Probably the most affordable screw-back square is DW-5600SL Spike Lee edition.
    That's also one of the lowest priced Special Edition of a classic G-Shock ever made.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And the 'limited editions' were hardly that. There are still a LOT of Ocean Grey and Rising White watches out there. If you want a classic production look, then the modules and bezel can be swapped off of a DW-5600E.

The formula for a truly modern classic would be a Spike Lee with a 1545 module from tiktox.com. The OG and RW screwbacks have yellow and gold writing on the crystal, whereas the Spike Lee has a true vintage crystal.

What the GW-5000 should have been (Rising White DW-5025 case, 1545 module, black bezel and stealth bracelet):

(Sorry, quick snap, no tripod, wacky depth of field! - And the stealth bracelet arrived in the post approx 10 minutes ago!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Stainless; September 28th, 2009 at 10:27.

thanks for your replies...i'm just looking for a 'basic' square g with a screwback...i want to put my Ocean Grey in a black bezel (and possibly the basic G in the ocean grey bezel) and maybe even experiment with different color lettering (don't wanna ruin the ocean grey bezel). does anyone know the part no. for replacement bezels that hold the screwbacks? thanks again!:thanks

The standard DW-5600E bezel fits the ltd edition screwbacks. There is a tiny bulge where the bezel meets the strap if you are using a resin strap. This could be solved by shaving a hairs breadth of resin off the bezel. I never bothered.

The 5600C (and earlier) bezel is available from tiktox, casiosalesandspares, etc, but both say that it won't fit the 5600E. This seems weird, as I thought the reissue case would use the same design/tooling.

I have also heard that the GW variants may have slightly different screw/button placings.

Sorry, no part numbers. In Singapore it is cheaper to pick up an entire DW-5600E than just a bezel and strap

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    That's an awesome watch! More pics please.
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

I will do a proper shoot, but am just packing for 5 days at Angkor Wat (!!!!!!!!!!) so you may have to be a bit patient

They're limited editions but they don't need any modifications whatsoever...They don't produce them anymore but some good condition ones come and go on the 'bay and here on the WUS sales forums...

DW-5000-1JF ...basic square G with the 1545 module...Looks exactly like the 5000SL or better yet the DW5000 "Original" G-Shock but without the Spike Lee branded EL and caseback... Made in Japan to boot. Seen one go on the 'bay that was stated in good condition go for more than the price of a rising white + spike lee though

OT: I just couldn't help but notice how familiar the patterns on the cap were

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    No one ever works out and regrets it. You never go for a run, and then when you're finished, wish you would have stayed home. You never climb a mountain, get to the top, and say, "I should have just been content to stay where I was."

Thread Information