Are screwbacks really that big of a deal?

Thread: Are screwbacks really that big of a deal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are screwbacks really that big of a deal?

Before I became a G-Shock fan I would indiscriminately buy dept store watches. Usually Armitron or Fossil... (please don't hold that against me). Anyway, I was showing my daughter some of my old dead watches I keep in a drawer. I flipped one if them over and was shocked to see that it was a screwback! Hmmm... I don't remember paying much for it. Makes me think screwbacks might be pretty common and are no big deal??

Sorry about the fuzzy pics.. I can't figure out how to take good close-ups.
    Edit: Updated with slightly better pictures.

Last edited by cmdeut; September 7th, 2009 at 01:53. Reason: Replaced with slightly better pics.

Re: Are screwbacks really that big of a deal?

Screwbacks on steel analogs aren't a big deal, they're common. Screwbacks on G-Shocks are a big deal, at least to me they are. A screwback G has an all metal case (tougher, heavier, overall better feel of quality) versus the four screw back plate which screws into a resin case (lighter, less sturdy, etc). Screwback Gs feel like "keepers", watches that you will hold on to for a very long time, while resin cased Gs feel like they have a more limited lifespan. Plus the screwback Gs are reminiscent of the old Gs that first came out in the 80s, which I like.
    Last edited by bryanhayn; September 7th, 2009 at 01:18.
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

It's not a big deal to me. A screwback is definitely different, but not necessarily better. It's just one of many factors. I just look at the type of case back as another item on the list of details for a model.

There's not a huge number of models that have similar versions of both.

5600 models are the main ones that have lots of options for either style. And the only real difference between the two for me is weight. It's a personal preference I guess sometimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you started out with a screwback G way back when, and have owned and worn the current non screwback style over the last 10 or 15 years, then yeah, IMHO, a screwback is a big deal on a G Shock.

coming from a person that has stripped the case threads while doing a battery change, i'd prefer screwbacks on all of my G's if possible.

tougher and idiot-proof..

with regards the camera, see if it has a 'macro' (close up) feature, also, when i take shots of watches, i normally take a few (and pick the best) as at least one is usually fuzzy

Metal screws into metal makes more sense than metal screws into resin, so yes, I would prefer all Gs to be screwbacks.

Doesn't really bother me that they're not though.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Q: Are screwbacks really that big of a deal?

A: There is no easy or definitive answer from my perspective.

My take on it, is that it is based on each individuals preferences, and priorities, just like we have different reasons for collecting watches, and which brands we choose

In my case, I collect watches for a variety of reasons, one of which is my appreciation for precision craftsmanship, and the true challenge of designing, building, and assembling all of the tiny metal parts required in an all mechanical Swiss chronograph.

Where G-Shocks are concerned, I appreciate the fun, the great variety of styles, the technology incorporated, the unique shock resistant characteristics, and the way they can be modified. I also find Casio's use of a variety of materials such as resin, aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, combined into each watch quite interesting. Thus the bottom line for me is that screwbacks _are_ worth it in terms of adding extra interest and quality to the watch.

The question I will push aside is "are they worth it" from a monetary standpoint. Too many variables here, and I do not attach a monetary value to my collection as I have no plan to sell it. In addition I do not subscribe to the mentality that one reason to collect watches is for their potential to appreciate in cash value. I don't collect them to make money or hope for great gain, but rather because I'm a very enthusiastic watch lover. For me it's about the fun of collecting, wearing, and admiring watches at all price points. And enjoying a fine forum like this where we can joke, have fun, compare notes, and learn from each other.

WUS is one of the finest forums I have had the pleasure of participating in.

Cheers...

Do screwbacks always go into metal cases and to four screws always not go into metal? Would a four screw setup going into a metal case eliminate the advantage that most here are stating screwbacks have?
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I like screwback Gs for its heftiness.
    Couple of watches here and there

Suspended

I am more used to screwback cases and frankly, I find them annoying. Its easy to scratch up the back from a slipping wrench. I have a few that are on so tight, I can't even get them off. You can sometimes cross thread if you aren't careful. Overtighten and pinch the gasket....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information