In search of the ultimate daily wear simple monochrome, atomic, solar, square! [5600]
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: In search of the ultimate daily wear simple monochrome, atomic, solar, square! [5600]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In search of the ultimate daily wear simple monochrome, atomic, solar, square! [5600]

Ok everyone, I currently picked a used gw5600 cheap love the simple screen, colors, etc.

Unfortunately it is scratched on the crystal, I'd prefer more atomic channels "just in case" of travel and just for the fun factor of syncing anywhere. Also I had picked up a m5600 and I like the little bit thinner it is, just didn't like the extra color, orange in my case for the GW-M5600R.

So here are the options I see to get a monochrome and simple in color 5600 like g that is high quality and ready for everyday wear. I do want atomic and solar. I just can't pick a path.

1) GW-M5610BC + Pick up resin band. - ~$250 (from Japan?) + ~$25 for resin band.

Pros:
    • Comes with composite band which is worth at least $100 to sell, I've never worn one but may like it even better than resin I have worn.
    • Can add resin band for little extra cost and have best of other worlds.

Cons:
    • Unclear is this is coming to US, would need to purchase from Japan today.
    • Never had a reverse screen, I think I will be ok with the viewing restrictions but haven't done in real life.

2) GW-M5610 "The Hundreds" + Pick up all black resin band.
    - ~$200 (from private seller) + ~$25 for resin band.

Pros:
    • Can pick resin band for little extra cost and get rid of black and white theme.
    • Screen modifications on this model are very well done.

Cons:
    • Will probably have to over pay a bit to find one.
    • Never had a reverse screen, I think I will be ok with the viewing restrictions but haven't done in real life.

3) GW-5000 - ~$325-375! (from private seller)

Pros:
    • Quality + screwback
    • Positive screen.
    • King of the atomic solar 5600s

Cons:
    • Will I be comfortable wearing every day at the cost?
    • Will be hard to find privately, order from Japan?

WUS, help me choose!
    -Ben

Re: In search of the ultimate daily wear simple monochrome, atomic, solar, square! [5600]

1. GW-M5610BC
    2. GW-5000
    3. Go to 1 or 2
    4. Go to 1 or 2
    5. Go to 1 or 2
    100. Mod a Hundreds with a black resin band and not a composite.

You can pick up a GW-M5610BC-1JF from Chino for $252 which includes international shipping to the US. It arrives very quickly with in 3 days via FEDEX of EMS shipping. A spare black resin strap is inexpensive to source but the composite band as you've probably read can be a pain to swap back and forth. The negative display isn't any different than The Hundreds.

If you can pick up a previously owned GW-5000 from F29 for $325 ~ $350 is a great deal. Saw a few previously owned available last year but this year there's much more appreciation and attention to this modern classic. It's expensive, around $375 ~ $400 from Japan, but it's "the" Rolex in G-Shock's line-up. The IP black solid stainless steel case and supple resin makes this a solid and comfortable G.

Just my half cent and personal opinion, I love mods that members are doing with their G's but MOD'ing a Hundreds is just a great way to de-value your purchase. I'm a klutz with taking stuff apart so I'm all about saving my sanity and recommend picking up a M5610BC if you want an atomic 5600 and negative display.

Cheers and can't wait to see photos of your ultimate daily!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338035989.320121.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  190.6 KB
    Last edited by Feisar; July 1st, 2012 at 18:33. Reason: Grammah!
    G-Shocks
    Origins, Master of Gs, Sky Cockpits, G-Lides, Standards, Specials

G-Shock Collaborations
    Maison Martin Margiela, CLOT, [email protected], ICERC, LRG, Subcrew, Turbokolor, Brooklyn Circus, Eric Haze, Marc Aurele, Lo.wer, Stussy, Bape, Hundreds, Dee & Ricky, Krink, Nigel Sylvester, ALife, Parra, In4Mation, Illest, Wu-Tang, One Piece, Akira, Ultraman

Banned

Re: In search of the ultimate daily wear simple monochrome, atomic, solar, square! [5600]

GW-5000. Over. Thread Closed.
    Fer Guzman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just went through the same decision you are. I actually own 3 GW5600-1J models and ideally I would have just liked to turn it into a negative display and I would have been set. With the atomic antenna hard wired to the module I was never able to take it out to be able to remove the polarization film and I didn't want to risk working on it hanging out of the case with a super short tether to the case and straining the ribbon cable and then ruining the atomic function. I never heard if the LCD display can be removed from the module like some other models can be.

On to my quest... I bought a GW-M5600 that someone already upgraded to the combi bracelet. I was even thinking of turning it into a negative display but like you, I didn't care for the extra colors on the display and still prefer the simpler plain white/grey accents of the older GW5600-1J.

Then I found a decent deal on a used Hundreds watch. I do not like the bi-color white/black resin band so the combi bracelet on the Hundreds watch is the final result. It basically turns it into the GW-M5610BC that you can only get from Japan. I had a hell of a time removing the combi bracelet and even harder time installing it. I think once you find a good place for the combi bracelet leave it be as removing and installing it miore than a couple times imo would ruin the lugs to the point of tossing the watch in the trash as I don't think there is a way to replace the lugs.

My opinion might be to just buy the watch from Japan even though it is a bit more as I doubt it will be coming to the US. I wish it would though as I like it alot and wouldn't mind having a couple backups.

Thanks for the input so far. I am not completely sold on reverse lcd since I've never had one but the BC does seem the most tempting option. I think the gw5000 is certainly awesome but I can't really think about wearing a $350-400 "rolex of g-shocks" every day somethign seems odd about that. Still open to input if anyone has any.
    -Ben

Yeah even though it is a G-shock I could never justify wearing the GW5000 in day to day working situations knowing it is a $400 watch. I have used and abused my GW5600-1J for years now and it is still holding up. I just blacked out the bezel and it looks great still. The finishing touch for me would to reverse the display.

Go for the GW-5000, best bracelet around, great display with good contrast...even syncs with all the six radio (atomic) towers in the world. Not sure how usefull, but good to know the day when you travel the world.

My favorite G-shock:

Name:  5000.JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  157.1 KB
    mitadoc likes this.

GW-5000: it is the best square there is in my opinion. I wear it daily, yes its $400 but that is what they are made for. If you are going to worry about scratching it or banging it then maybe its not for you because then you won't wear it comfortably since you will be constantly worrying. And at the end of the day you don't want your daily wearer to be something your constantly worrying about.

A note on used prices for the GW-5000. I think prices will start to decrease. You just have to look at yahoo auctions japan and see that the used ones are getting cheaper and look at ebay as well, with 10+ listed when before there was 1 or 2. I think prices should stabilize by the end of the year and next year between 250-325 including shipping and paypal unless casio stops producing again. Short term it will still be expensive because most people who are buying them likely won't sell them. You can get it for around 410 shipped from Japan.

Regarding negatives, They look awesome but I don't think they are good every day watches. I wear the same watch 5-6 days a week and I find 90% of the time it's the positive version. Although the newer negatives are easier to read than in the past, the positives are just much easier to read in all types of lighting so if you use your watch to tell time I suggest the positive.
    Last edited by Fer Guzman; July 1st, 2012 at 21:03.

Yes definately have concern on the negative display front... Hmm...

Don't get the GW-5000 unless you are a real watch collector. It doesn't take much to realize that Casio G-Shock put a screwback caseback for original Casio G-Shock 5600 enthusiasts. $400 for a basic solar powered watch is just plain old ridiculous in my opinion. My Casio G-Shock Riseman cost $150, and I still got faces from family members over a $150 watch. It is my most expensive and favorite watch. If you want a square Casio G-Shock that is solar, atomic, and square that won't cost no more than $100, get a GW5600, or a GW5500. The GW5500 also displays the day and date together too.
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:58.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information