Seeking balance between durability and price - M5610/DW5600 etc
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Seeking balance between durability and price - M5610/DW5600 etc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Seeking balance between durability and price - M5610/DW5600 etc

Hi

Sometime forum-lurker finally coming out of the woodwork to ask for your collective wisdom. :)

I am interested in getting an all-digital G-Shock and especially one with both solar power and atomic sync. I like the minimum maintenance. I also don't want a very large watch as I have small wrists.

I live in the UK so the most obvious choice would be the GW-M5610-1ER.

Since I'm keen on a low-maintenance watch, the GW-M5610BC-1ER is also interesting because of its more durable composite bracelet. As you know it is significantly more expensive than the standard model.

How much better than the standard strap is the composite strap? Am I right to assume that even the standard G-Shock strap would last longer than the kind of resin strap Casio uses on cheap non-G-Shocks (F-91 etc)?

It also occurred to me that since the 5610 has a resin bezel, this may break down before the composite bracelet - making somewhat moot the extra outlay on the bracelet in the interests of durability. Searching the forum suggests that the fact that the watch is solar-powered may accelerate bezel wear because of putting it in the sun.

And if it's going to require replacement parts then I wonder if there is not much point in trying to find a long-term minimum maintenance G-Shock anyway. This makes me wonder whether the DW5600E would be a better choice. Or should I be looking in the other direction for something more expensive?

So I'm curious as to your thoughts about getting a "balanced" G-Shock watch - where the durability of the parts are reasonably well-matched. What do you think? Would you recommend other models than the ones I've mentioned here?

Thanks.

Re: Seeking balance between durability and price - M5610/DW5600 etc

My gut would be for you to get a "regular" gw-m5610 and put a NATO or Zulu strap on it with adaptors. Get a spare bezel at same time and you are good for 20+ years. Current spare bezel for regular version over at Tiktox.com is going to be under £20 for you (he is uk) and he will have the adaptors and straps to make it all work.

sent with aloha
    nigelw likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

For small wrists, check out the GW-M850
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The resin straps on the G-Shocks tend to be the biggest complaint about them. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the bracelet model regardless of cost.

I'll mostly agree with Chrisek: get yourself a "regular" GW-M5610 and see if YOU like the stock strap! Casio sells millions of G-Shocks every year to satisfied customers, and because of their relatively unique strap designs, the only people who can and do change the straps are "watch geeks" who read forums like this and learn how to accomplish that task.*

If you decide that you don't like the stock strap, you can always order a set of adapters and a Zulu or NATO strap from TikTok later, or even order the original 5610 BC composite bracelet from them as well.

*Ironically, I first discovered this forum when I was trying to change FROM a composite bracelet TO a resin strap on the MTG-900 -- I didn't like the narrow width and the "only three position adjustment" in the bracelet clasp.

Thanks for the fast responses!

This is all very helpful. I will have a look at the GW-M850.

I'm pretty wary of getting involved in changing the strap and/or bezel myself - I have a terrible track record of breaking stuff I've tried to fix or upgrade (I once set a computer motherboard on fire...).

Quote Originally Posted by carpoon View Post
    The resin straps on the G-Shocks tend to be the biggest complaint about them. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the bracelet model regardless of cost.
    That's interesting to hear. Have you had bad experiences with the straps breaking/wearing out?

As I mentioned I'm aware that the really cheap non-G-Shock straps don't last long (2-3 years) but presumably even a resin G-Shock strap would be more durable than that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Ironically, I first discovered this forum when I was trying to change FROM a composite bracelet TO a resin strap on the MTG-900 -- I didn't like the narrow width and the "only three position adjustment" in the bracelet clasp.
    Ah, really? Looking at some other discussions seemed to suggest that finer adjustments are possible with the bracelet, but is that not the case?

Moderator G-Shock Forum

In an environment were F-91 straps are lasting 2-3 years a G-Shock srtrap may last 5-7 years.
    The exchange of the strap is as easy as the strap exchange on other spring bar type straps on other watches.

Regarding the adjustment of the bracelett:

I also prefer straps because of the fact that my wrist is somewhat changing in diameter during the day and different activities.
    Its much easier to adjust the strap during sports then the bracelett.
    But thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by yani View Post
    Thanks for the fast responses!

This is all very helpful. I will have a look at the GW-M850.

I'm pretty wary of getting involved in changing the strap and/or bezel myself - I have a terrible track record of breaking stuff I've tried to fix or upgrade (I once set a computer motherboard on fire...).

That's interesting to hear. Have you had bad experiences with the straps breaking/wearing out?

As I mentioned I'm aware that the really cheap non-G-Shock straps don't last long (2-3 years) but presumably even a resin G-Shock strap would be more durable than that, right?

Ah, really? Looking at some other discussions seemed to suggest that finer adjustments are possible with the bracelet, but is that not the case?
    Chrisek likes this.

I have a DW-5600E that I wore daily for several years as a "work watch" -- the only problem I had in that time was that the strap (and bezel) got a little bit shiny from wear, which is fairly common as G's pick up sweat and dust and rub against clothing.

I don't know about the "BC" bracelet found on the GW-M5610BC and GW-6900BC, but as I said, the clasp on the MTG-900 bracelet has exactly THREE "fine adjustment" holes for the pin on that end of the clasp: In the picture below, there's one hole to the right of the rectangular latch button, and three holes to the left.

Name:  mtg-900 clasp.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  53.1 KB

As luck would have it, I was kind of "between sizes" as my wrist expanded and contracted with temperature changes -- by which I mean that I couldn't adjust the bracelet by switching the pin in the clasp, and I had to add and remove an entire link each time and THEN move the pin in the latch, which wasn't very convenient.

It's possible that the "BC" bracelet has more than three positions, but then again, it might not.

Not sure if you're still considering the GW-M5610BC? As it's a negative display, you should check it out in person first. Some love them some hate them.
    Mike K likes this.

Thanks for the further info and advice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    It's possible that the "BC" bracelet has more than three positions, but then again, it might not.
    Looking at the photo in https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mod...et-382368.html, the composite bracelet appears to have four positions.

Quote Originally Posted by MCZK View Post
    Not sure if you're still considering the GW-M5610BC? As it's a negative display, you should check it out in person first. Some love them some hate them.
    Possibly. I'm mindful that the negative display is hard to read in low light. Having said that, it's not a million miles from my current watch colour scheme (Swatch with a black face and white hands/digits) so may not be too disorienting. Unfortunately I haven't been able to look at one in person, though.

How about the GW-5000 - does that have an all-metal case and bezel? It looks quite resin-like in photos but searching the forum suggests that it is all-metal. (Although inexplicably supplied with a resin strap!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information