Seiko ABC SBEB003 and upcoming Alpinist Bluetooth SBEL
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Seiko ABC SBEB003 and upcoming Alpinist Bluetooth SBEL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seiko ABC SBEB003 and upcoming Alpinist Bluetooth SBEL

I've been eyeing these SBEBxxx's since the black, gray and this here red triumvirate were announced in Japan back in spring of '14. The still high Japan street price of around $200 is what kept me from getting one. Since then, the lineup has burgeoned into a few other, sometimes enticing colors and also a different, a bit dressier case. In the interim, I also got to know Seiko digitals firsthand with two purchases of other models. These two stood apart from my other digitals with a more upscale feel, brought on by better materials in general and the Hardlex crystal in particular; unique features and perhaps most notable of all, loud and pleasant sounding, real-world, it'll-wake-you-up alarms.

Fast forward to a month or two ago, when Amazon US seemed to get ahold of a boatload of these at surplus prices and started the by-now familiar up-and-down price dance on each of the five variants that they had (the three originals plus two Mt. Fuji LEs). Patiently observing these price fluctuations, I found myself "helpless" to not order this SBEB003 when, for a short time of a little longer than a day, the price dropped dramatically to a new, camelcamelcamel.com-verified record low. Even though I had misgivings about the purchase afterwards (I really don't need any more watches!) and tried unsuccessfully to cancel the order, this very quickly proved to be the absolute best bargain in my fairly large collection.

Received the other night, I got to open it yesterday as follows:

Box containing the watch and a micro-SD card

Both items checked out

Case sleeve top

...And side with ID sticker

Warranty, manual and case with the 8 preprogrammed summits on a map motif

...Liberated

Tumbled in transit watch on its side already displays a pleasing profile, fit and finish.

The rounded octagon casetop looks far less odd in real-life. FRI 1:48 AM Tokyo time, 12 hours ahead of EST of THU 11:48 AM.

Mt. Kosciuszko at 7310 ft (2228 m) is the highest peak in Australia. Who knew?!

Good materials, drilled lugs, red IP metal buckle, thick and narrow ventilated band with a "keeper's keeper" nub at the end; all very nice touches.

Caseback

Cool, smooth black "liquid" finish on case and buttons

Caseback closeup

Buttons under the eaves: Tastefully carved-out case side partially recesses the buttons.

And the last two

...Parting shots
    Last edited by AirWatch; February 4th, 2016 at 02:26.
    Rocat, SteveJ, zabat and 10 others like this.

Re: Seiko ABC SBEB003

Thanks for posting your thoughts and the nice pics.

I see Amazon still has this model for under $50. Probably can't beat it for this price.

Someone else posted some pics showing the altimeter and barometer in action. Does it also have a compass?

Edit: I see from an Amazon review that it does have a compass and thermometer, so it's a true ABC watch.
    Last edited by GaryK30; January 29th, 2016 at 19:22.

Nice pictures as always AirWatch. How about a few comparison photos with known watches to help us judge the size?
    Last edited by Rocat; January 29th, 2016 at 19:43.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From looking at the manual, it seems that they left out a countdown timer. Too bad. I use this more than a stopwatch.

Here's the Japanese and English S822 manual that I found in another thread about the watch:

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/resourc...anual/S822.pdf
    Rocat likes this.

A digital watch needs a CDT.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    A digital watch needs a CDT.
    I agree. I only have one modern digital watch without a CDT. It's my Casio PAS-400B Fishing Timer. I bought it because it shows both sunrise/sunset and moon phase. I don't have any other watches that do this.

Nice AirWatch, you've got the Red one! I have the Blue. The price was irresistible, it beats even the cheapest ABC from Casio, the SGW1000. And it has solar, which SGW1000 does not.

Name:  cabin4.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  137.1 KBName:  cabin3.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  134.9 KBName:  seikomtfuji.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  187.4 KB

For Gary, guess you've already found your answers. But here again, yes it's full ABC, so compass is available, but correct, no timer! When I got time tonight, I will gather my pics and write a more thorough review. But for those who wonders, here are 2 major complains for this watch.

1) 6 buttons operation, could get a little confusing at times. Especially for us Casio-phils, who's used to the Casio buttons layout, could be a bit of learning curve.

2) The band! Grown man's watch with a kid's band! It's proprietary lug size too at around 17mm. There's a narrow section on each side of the band, too, which further decrease the comfort (at least for me).
    GaryK30 likes this.

Thank you all. I usually try to answer each and every post individually, but I'm going out-of-town tomorrow and I'm already past my bedtime. So, here're some quick responses.

@GaryK30: Thanks for looking. Yeah, yes to compass and no to CDT. A fellow member (evertonian, I believe) bought this when in Japan just as it had come out there. He started a very nice thread on it. The few critical responses hammered it so hard, mostly on it not having a CDT that it probably made him think the better of ever coming back to that thread. His contribution remains as a worthwhile read nonetheless.

@Rocat: Thank you, buddy! I'll get your comparo pics as soon as I get a chance.

@Watch-Geekmaster (did you just recently become a "master", by the way?): Thanks! Lemme break into song here: "Juuust the two of us...". Never mind. Look, not to put you on the spot or anything, but just so you know, I'd love it if you could do your writeup right here. Whatever you could contribute, I'm sure will be well worth seeing.

Here's an anime pic from last night (with the watch still on Tokyo time) for the WRUWs which I passed over in favor of the second shot.

See y'all in a day or two. Be good.
    GaryK30, Rocat and Nemo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Nice pictures as always AirWatch. How about a few comparison photos with known watches to help us judge the size?
    OK, so I just gathered around a few Casios for size comparison shots. In this gang of 6, the SBEB003 falls between the smallest GWM5610 and the next bigger Casio up, DW6900. But you'd be wrong to think that the Seiko wears similarly to either of these or any of the other Casios here. SBEB003 speaks Seiko's design language and its proportions and feel on the wrist are far more akin to the venerable 300m Tuna than anything else that I have in my collection.

Back to the size comparison here, I, admittedly, could've used a more suitable lens for the task at hand, but, since I didn't, this might help give you an idea of how each of these watches' sizes measure up in at-a-glance, side-by-side comparison:

1- Rangeman: Looks much bigger

2- PRW6000: Looks much bigger

3- PAW2000: Looks bigger

4- DW6900: Looks nearly the same

5- GWM5610: Looks smaller

And a composite of the shots

Thanks, Airwatch. Saw some Seiko digitals in Japan last October, and while I love the idea of them, THOSE STRAPS turned me off them. But for less than $60, great deal, get another strap, LOL. But for 200,000+ Yen, not so much. And I need a CDT!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information