Seiko E ink watch- will casio follow?

Thread: Seiko E ink watch- will casio follow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko E ink watch- will casio follow?

Hi just came accross this which is due for release at the end of the year.

Seiko E Ink Watch Due by End of 2010 - SlashGear

Seems to be soloar atomic with e ink.

So do you think it will catch on in the mainstream and will Casio so similar?

Cheers,

Re: Seiko E ink watch- will casio follow?

I for one really like this technology if its anything like my Kindle... Very easy on the eyes. That would definitely be cool if Casio follows suit & maybe throw in a fully customizable display.

Not to thrilled w/ the looks of this Seiko model, but it's a great start.
    V/R Kevin

I think it looks fantastic, no mention of an EL to illuminate the dial though, and very close in looks to modern mobile phone screens.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well I saw the youtube movie about that watch and I read the specs - and frankly I'm not impressed. E-ink is just not reacting fast enough. The watch can't even display seconds (!) - makes atomic reception kind of useless - you won't notice any deviation anyway for at least 4 months . The feature set is also pretty basic. Because of the e-ink reacting so slow it can't display 1/10 sec on a stopwatch - therefore it doesn't have one. Worldtime and alarm is all you get. I'm sure Casio engineers are trembling with fear from the competition . At this stage of the development of e-ink Casio surely won't adopt it.
    E-ink might be useful for e-book-readers where you stare at the screen for hours. But so far my eyes haven't been to strained from glancing at my watch a few times a day.

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; September 13th, 2010 at 16:47.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Well I saw the youtube movie about that watch and I read the specs - and frankly I'm not impressed. E-ink is just not reacting fast enough. The watch can't even display seconds (!) - makes atomic reception kind of useless - you won't notice any deviation anyway for at least 4 months . The feature set is also pretty basic. Because of the e-ink reacting so slow it can't display 1/10 sec on a stopwatch - therefore it doesn't have one. Worldtime and alarm is all you get. I'm sure Casio engineers are trembling with fear from the competition . At this stage of the development of e-ink Casio surely won't adopt it.
    E-ink might be useful for e-book-readers where you stare at the screen for hours. But so far my eyes haven't been to strained from glancing at my watch a few times a day.

Greetings, Sedi
    Wow If that info is correct I wonder who would want to buy this. I my opinion this isn't a watch then but a gadget.

I consider it a gadget.
    Here's the link to the page that also contains the youtube clip:
    Seiko announces the world's first Active-Matrix E Ink watch
    And a link to the PDF with the specs:
    http://www.seikowatches.com/press/20...rls1009-01.pdf

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Seiko should be applauded for their inovation, as with all technologies there is always trade off`s, yes the display takes time to update, then again it brings a new clarity to digital watches and also offers several differing displays to see the time.

I can see this being the big draw as the technology develops offering more and more display options, personal customisation`s etc, lets be real when was the last time when someone asked the time and you replied 23:17:47 seconds the watch will aways be accurate as long as you are in the capture zone, personally I am getting a little too old to want to watch the seconds go by

Casio to be frank are only now playing with styles and sticking to known and safe technologies, they used to be synonymous with taking the risk, breaking the rules and delivering some of the most innovative product to market. 2010 Casio looks to have woken up offering one of the best line ups for a good time and bringing some great watches to market GA-100, PRW-5000, GXW-56 etc, and I guess there is good reason for that As for the Seiko price is a factor, but all in all I would not be disappointed to have one in my collection, this is a very innovative digital and one you might be sorry you missed out on with the passage of time

Q-6

Innovative? Maybe but they're not the first to come out with an e-ink watch.
    I think that honor goes to those guys:
    PHOSPHOR Watches - Cool digital watches like the E Ink Digital Hour Clock Watch, E Ink Digital Calendar Watch & E Ink Ana-Digi Watch
    I'm still waiting for the first CSAC wrist watch .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    Seiko should be applauded for their inovation, as with all technologies there is always trade off`s, yes the display takes time to update, then again it brings a new clarity to digital watches and also offers several differing displays to see the time.

I can see this being the big draw as the technology develops offering more and more display options, personal customisation`s etc, lets be real when was the last time when someone asked the time and you replied 23:17:47 seconds the watch will aways be accurate as long as you are in the capture zone, personally I am getting a little too old to want to watch the seconds go by

Casio to be frank are only now playing with styles and sticking to known and safe technologies, they used to be synonymous with taking the risk, breaking the rules and delivering some of the most innovative product to market. 2010 Casio looks to have woken up offering one of the best line ups for a good time and bringing some great watches to market GA-100, PRW-5000, GXW-56 etc, and I guess there is good reason for that As for the Seiko price is a factor, but all in all I would not be disappointed to have one in my collection, this is a very innovative digital and one you might be sorry you missed out on with the passage of time

Q-6
    I agree. The technology will evolve-- in a few years the refresh problem will get solved-- remember when LCD Monitors first appeared? The refresh rates were so low you couldn't watch a DVD movie or play an action computer game-- the screen would be a mess of ghost images due to the slow refresh rate.
    That was solved.
    You are right about people wanting to know the time-- most people would prefer "It's a quarter passed eleven" to "23:17:47". Hyper accuracy is not a necessity for most. There are very popular watches that don't display seconds-- the Movado Museum watches are probably the best known. There are even entire companies dedicated to producing one handed watches that only have hour hands! I have a couple myself, though I do like hyper accuracy-- but sometimes it's good to just relax and round off the time to the nearest minute or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

JML

** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio Oceanus OCW-T2600L-1AJF ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information