Seiko SNN191P1 - $88, Free Shipping, No Tax

Thread: Seiko SNN191P1 - $88, Free Shipping, No Tax

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Seiko SNN191P1 - $88, Free Shipping, No Tax

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail...iance_id=71231

I'm not trying to be one of the enablers, but I saw this sale price for the Seiko SNN191P1 mentioned on the Seiko forum.

$88, free shipping and no tax (unless you live in Florida).

If I hadn't just purchased a Seiko SNAB17, I would be hitting the "add to cart" button once again.

It looks great in the stock photo, but I have a feeling it would be even better in person. Great brushed stainless steel bracelet, and I like everything about the balanced and simple (but not boring) black-on-white display.

Old-school cool. On the SSS ("Scuttle Styling Spectrum"), it clearly is at the McQueen/Newman end of the spectrum instead of the Schwarzenegger/Stallone end.

Have a look: http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail...iance_id=71231
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by dirkdiggler; April 6th, 2009 at 10:00.
    "I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

Re: Seiko SNN191P1 - $88, Free Shipping, No Tax

Not bad - I like the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
    Old-school cool. On the SSS ("Scuttle Styling Spectrum"), it clearly is at the McQueen/Newman end of the spectrum instead of the Schwarzenegger/Stallone end.

I'd give it an official rating of "Kiefer Sutherland", which is in McQueen half of the scale but immediately Stallone-wards of "Val Kilmer".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What movement is in this watch?
    Buying more watches does not buy you more time.

Looking for: Seiko SCVS013; Citizen PMX56-2811; Citizen Campanola CTS57-0701.

Cool Re: Seiko SNN191P1 - $88, Free Shipping, No Tax

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    I'd give it an official rating of "Kiefer Sutherland", which is in McQueen half of the scale but immediately Stallone-wards of "Val Kilmer".
    Scuttle, you have to remember we only have the stock photo of this Seiko.

For example, the stock photos of the Oceanus OC108 models don't capture what they look like in person.

Trying to imagine this Seiko in the flesh, my bet is it exceeds expectations for an $88 watch.

Quote Originally Posted by citeniK View Post
    What movement is in this watch?
    A quick Google

reveals 7T94-0BA0 S.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Originally Posted by scuttle

Scuttle, you have to remember we only have the stock photo of this Seiko.

For example, the stock photos of the Oceanus OC108 models don't capture what they look like in person.
    Casio barely tried to market the OC108; my guess is that they sent to a passport booth for its photos.

All the same I standard by the "Kiefer Sutherland" classification; this doesn't mean that it looks worse than a Val Kilmer model, just a little more overt/extrovert. Very few chronos would manage to make it far to the Steve McQueen side of the scale - the 70s square Heuers (obviously), Seiko auto chronos of that period (especially the brown faced models), some IWCs.

Anyway, this Seiko looks rather like something Sutherland would wear in 24, which is probably why his named occurred.

Trying to imagine this Seiko in the flesh, my bet is it exceeds expectations for an $88 watch.
    Any Seiko is an excellent buy for the price; a discounted one has to be an extra good deal. (Although I still have some reservations about Kinetics, which this one isn't.)
    Last edited by scuttle; April 6th, 2009 at 19:00.

Cool Re: Seiko SNN191P1 - $88, Free Shipping, No Tax

Casio barely tried to market the OC108. My guess is that they sent it to a passport booth for its photos.
    We need further clarification on the Scuttle Styling Spectrum.

At the far left of the continuum is McQueen, and at the far right of the continuum is Stallone.

Let's assume a nine-point continuum for the sake of simplicity. McQueen and Stallone take the extremes, thus, leaving seven more points - a midpoint, three to the left and three to the right. Just to the right of McQueen, Newman makes a likely choice. Just to the left of Stallone, Schwarzenegger makes a likely choice.

Where exactly are Kiefer Sutherland and Val Kilmer on the continuum?

Last edited by dirkdiggler; April 6th, 2009 at 21:48.

Ray Winstone?
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

We need further clarification on the Scuttle Styling Spectrum.

At the far left of the continuum is McQueen, and at the far right of the continuum is Stallone.

Let's assume a nine-point continuum for the sake of simplicity. McQueen and Stallone take the extremes, thus, leaving seven more points - a midpoint, two to the left and two to the right. Just to the right of McQueen, Newman makes a likely choice. Just to the left of Stallone, Schwarzenegger makes a likely choice.

Where exactly are Kiefer Sutherland and Val Kilmer on the continuum?

The spectrum goes:

McQueen
    Newman
    Val Kilmer
    Kiefer Sutherland

Pacino

Brad Pitt
    Russel Crowe
    Schwarzenneger
    Stallone

This isn't a better or worse but more a introvert-extrovert/subtle-obvious thing. Sly Stallone, for example, likes to wear three huge Panerais on the same arm at once, making him the demi-god of innya face watchiness.

- Loud watches belong in the Stallone Zone.

- Watches that are quietly tasteful "standards" in the middle (a Rolex sub would be a good example)

- Surprising but subtle designs make the scene with McQueen and his classic Heuer chrono.

You can have great watches in all positions - for instance a Monster or a Froggie would be Pitt verging on Crowe, while a 5300 is all the way McQueen.

Oh - and I'm definitely open to re-naming the intermediate positions. Especially "Pacino".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information