Seven Samurai
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Seven Samurai

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seven Samurai

I was going to title this The Magnificent Seven, but when in Rome, err Japan...
    Name:  a207.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  285.4 KB

Over time I've been lucky enough to acquire 7 MR-G's so I figured I'd show the whole group together. There are a few models I haven't acquired, time will tell if I go over the 7 mark. The first MR-G's were released in the late 90's, only produced for 5 years or so, and only sold in Japan. They were Gshock's first foray into all metal watches and most were available in SS or Ti. They have the same water resistance and shock resist attributes of any other G and came in digital, anadigi, and analog varieties. Yes, because they're metal they can scratch, so if that bothers you, they aren't the best for rough and tumble activities. I mainly wear mine to the office. I focus on the titanium versions because I like the color and weight vs. stainless. The crystals are domed slightly unlike G's of today. Relatively expensive compared to other G's of the time, the least expensive being around $350, some in the 4,5,6 hundred range, I'm not accounting for inflation. Nowadays, they can be found for a fraction of their original cost, which is great for me because I'm thrifty (cheap).
    Name:  IMG_1030.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  218.8 KBName:  IMG_1031.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  227.0 KBName:  IMG_1033.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  226.8 KB
    As you can see most have a rubber ring on the caseback, some have a couple of rubber guards, all of which can be removed if you don't like them. I suppose they are there to help keep the watch from sliding around, but also to prevent the bracelets from rubbing against the back of the case when handling them. Some have slightly different bracelet link styles and some versions have an engraving on the clasp. From the side you can see that they have very similar designs elements.

Here they are individually in no particular order:
    1000T Name:  IMG_1034.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  216.9 KB This one has a name unlike the others, the Tactician.
    100T Name:  IMG_1035.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  179.5 KB
    220T Name:  IMG_1036.JPG
Views: 483
Size:  204.7 KB
    130T Name:  IMG_1037.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  193.2 KB
    131 Name:  IMG_1039.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  191.7 KB Interesting to me that even though this is titanium it just has "131" on the caseback, not "131-T"
    210T Name:  IMG_1040(1).JPG
Views: 471
Size:  164.8 KB
    110T Name:  IMG_1041(1).JPG
Views: 467
Size:  189.3 KB

The early MR-G's came into being about 15 years after the first Gshock, and are an important part of Gshock history. Of course, the MRG line is still around today but they aren't as interesting to me. They have a nostalgic quality about them, but are also timeless in my opinion. Yes, they may not be solar or atomic, but their simplicity is part of the charm. The build quality is amazing, I wonder sometimes if they were discontinued simply because manufacturing costs were to high. I really can't recommend them enough. After all my other G's succumb to resin rot, perhaps after my time is up even, these Seven Samurai will be still be magnificent.

fergfour
    Last edited by Fergfour; September 13th, 2017 at 02:59.

Re: Seven Samurai

Bravo Ferg...
    Great array of some powerful Watches.
    Fergfour likes this.

Timepieces

2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

Impressive collection, my 1st MRG-100T is inbound from ebay seller. If other MR-G collectors are interested, here is a link to japanese website for MRG-100 battery change with good details (must be translated if you can't read japanese) たまのたいこのフォトギャラリー「 分用 G-SHOCK MRG-100T-8 電.交換方法 その1」 | ダイハツ タントカスタ. - みんカラ. I'm torn about whether I love or do not love the ana-dig models. All digital is all I have in my collection. That 131 sure looks nice in blue. Jealous here but not in a bad way. I'll keep on the lookout for more MR-G deals I think. As I like to say,the real thrill is in the hunt!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pl_gristle View Post
    Impressive collection, my 1st MRG-100T is inbound from ebay seller. If other MR-G collectors are interested, here is a link to japanese website for MRG-100 battery change with good details (must be translated if you can't read japanese) たまのたいこのフォトギャラリー「 分用 G-SHOCK MRG-100T-8 電.交換方法 その1」 | ダイハツ タントカスタ. - みんカラ. I'm torn about whether I love or do not love the ana-dig models. All digital is all I have in my collection. That 131 sure looks nice in blue. Jealous here but not in a bad way. I'll keep on the lookout for more MR-G deals I think. As I like to say,the real thrill is in the hunt!
    I'm with you pl_gristle as far as a preference for digital, but I make an exception for MR-G's, just because they're part of the family :) I was in the right place at the right time for the 131, I've never seen another while in the wild and couldn't pass it up. The full analogs 120/121/122) are nice too, very clean looking, there are a LOT of variations. Interestingly, most of them have the crown on the left side which is unusual. For those that don't need or can't get an atomic signal, don't fret about changing a battery every few years, and just need basic functions, I think these old MR-G's are a steal. Sometimes I just feel like wearing a metal watch. And no, I've never had any issues with the bracelet pulling hairs. Hope things work out for you with the 100T !

oh wow! What a collection

Question, the 130 will be ok without the 2 rubber guard in the back?

How do you take out the rubber guard for the ones with screw down case back?

I have a long way to go ....

Last edited by stockae92; September 13th, 2017 at 03:26.
    Fergfour and William1Wilson like this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Toshiro and I approve!

Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Stockae92, the 130 is different from the others in that it's not a screwback. As long as you have the o-ring underneath the caseback I think it'll be as water resistant as any other non-screwback. I suppose some water could make it's way into the screwholes, but those are outside of the movement chamber. The screws basically hold the rubber guards in place and I suppose the rubber might help stop water from getting into the screwholes but to me their main purpose is for comfort and support as the 130 is extremely thick.
    The screwbacks have an o-ring underneath but the screwback doesn't screw all the way down flush with the caseback. There is a small, (1mm?) gap. The rubber external rings are fairly supple and they stretch a little to fit around the caseback and fill the gap. You can also unscrew the caseback entirely which makes it easier to remove the ring. Honestly I haven't experimented with them much but I suppose once it's on you could tighten the caseback which might squeeze the ring down creating a better seal. I do prefer to have them because that's how they were designed and I like them as original as possible but I've seen a lot where the ring has been removed.
    The 131 is a little different. It's a screwback but the external ring is thinner around the sides and thick like the 130 on top and bottom. It seems to me that it is held in place more by screwing the caseback tight. There is little or no gap and I don't think I could remove it unless I unscrew the caseback a little.
    In summary, the external rings are a bit of an oddity, but I like them lol. I don't recall seeing them in any other brand of watch. Maybe Casio designers were so used to making plastic/resin watches that they felt metal G's needed them for comfort or fit reasons? Maybe other MRG owners will chime in. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Fergfour; September 13th, 2017 at 04:52.
    stockae92 likes this.

That is just fantastic! Which one is your favourite Fergfour?

Quote Originally Posted by Fujoor View Post
    That is just fantastic! Which one is your favourite Fergfour?
    I don't know if I could pick one fujoor. I like the squareness of the 210 and 110. I like the case design of the 220 and 130. I like the original first metal 100. I like the blue dial and neg display of the 131. I like the asymmetric design and features of the 1000. Each has their own personality!

FYI all, since the 130 has been mentioned several times inthis thread, here is one on ebay now in the UK

Casio Mr G | eBay
    Last edited by pl_gristle; September 13th, 2017 at 13:57.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information