Is the SGW100 rugged enough?

Thread: Is the SGW100 rugged enough?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the SGW100 rugged enough?

I've been looking for a watch with a compass that didn't include a $150 and up price tag, and i came across this attractive looking watch. I have a few questions about it. Just to let you know where i'm coming from, i'm the owner of 2 G-shocks (Mudman and AWG100), both of which are fantastic but i feel have "limited" features for what i'm looking for.

How rugged is the SGW100?
    I mean, i know it doesn't meet the strict requirements of an actual G-Shock, but is it still a pretty tough watch to hold up against the bangs, dings, drops, and even dirt or mud? I'll be spending alot of time outdoors in the wilderness rock climbing and cliff jumping so i'm looking for something that can take that type of beating.

How accurate is the compass?
    I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this. I know a watch compass can only be so accurate but i figure if it's the same compass in the Pathfinders then it should be pretty accurate enough. I don't have a sense of direction anyways, so i'm not looking for coordinates or anything, just the cardinal directions for navigation.

How loud is the alarm?
    This question is probably for those that own one. I have a Mudman and AWG100 and their alarms are weak sauce. I noticed this one has a snooze which is great but if it isn't any louder than the two i own, it's something i'll take into consideration.

Is this a "big" watch?
    Again, i'm coming from a Mudman and an AWG100 G-Shock which i think are the perfect sizes. I don't like too big and that's one of the things i didn't like about the Pathfinders was their enormous size... or at least in my opinion. So how does it compare?

Is this watch too good to be true?
    It's a serious question. It's got so many features and a solid looking design, only to be had for under $50? I'm feeling scammed

Thanks for the help everyone!

Re: Is the SGW100 rugged enough?

I tried one on in the store sometime ago and thought that it looked kind of cartoonish but hey for that price it looks like a great deal. Here is a link with a couple thoughts if your interested. I think that it's comparable in size to the mudman but wore larger on my wrist.

http://www.miamirice.net/casio-mens-...r-sport-watch/

As an owner of this watch, Ill help answer a few questions.

I got this watch after wanting something like a pathfinder but cheaper. I use to have a Suunto Observer as my outdoors watch, but it was just too expensive to use as a beater. The SGW100 is fairly rugged and with a 200m water resist I wasn't too concern about it. I would treat it similar to my G Shocks.

The compass is decent and reliable as long as you calibrate it once in awhile. I wouldn't recommend using only this as your sole source of directions but for some quick orienteering it's not bad.

How loud is the alarm?
    The alarm isn't a feature I use often but I would say it's comparable to most G's.

Is this a "big" watch?
    The SGW100 isn't big at all, the diameter is a bit wider then the two watches you mention but it is thinner so it wears under jackets and sleeves better I find. The buttons are nice and big and easy to press, even with gloves on.

I think this watch is a great buy for anyone looking for a simple "ABC style" watch on a budget. It has Compass and temperature reading for a bargain price. The backlight is also very cool it's what people call a reverse backlight I think. The digits are large and very easy to read. You won't go wrong with this watch if your looking for something to use in the outdoors at this price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, y'all have been a great help. Anyone else care to cast their opinions?

Positive opinion about the SGW100 mostly. The alarm isn't loud but it has the snooze. Tough good looking and well featured watch.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

I guess i'm just really questioning the toughness and resilience of this watch . I've heard a few mixed reviews about it being a little cheap in appearance and build quality and i'm looking for something that's definitely going to hold up in the wild and rugged outdoors. It won't be seeing any gunfire or explosions, but it's going to be tested by an outdoor/survivalist enthusiast.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post

I mean, i know it doesn't meet the strict requirements of an actual G-Shock, but is it still a pretty tough watch to hold up against the bangs, dings, drops, and even dirt or mud? I'll be spending alot of time outdoors in the wilderness rock climbing and cliff jumping so i'm looking for something that can take that type of beating.
    plenty enough. the band is a bit flimpsy but far from weak. i would rate the watch toughness not much below that of a g-shock. in any case your wrist will be a mess before the SGW-100 breaks.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this. I know a watch compass can only be so accurate but i figure if it's the same compass in the Pathfinders then it should be pretty accurate enough. I don't have a sense of direction anyways, so i'm not looking for coordinates or anything, just the cardinal directions for navigation.
    compass is very accurate. if calibrated carefully there is no visible aberration to that of a good magnetic field compass.

How loud is the alarm?
    This question is probably for those that own one. I have a Mudman and AWG100 and their alarms are weak sauce. I noticed this one has a snooze which is great but if it isn't any louder than the two i own, it's something i'll take into consideration.
    alarms are pretty much avarage. not very loud, not very low either - standard i'd say.

Is this a "big" watch?
    Again, i'm coming from a Mudman and an AWG100 G-Shock which i think are the perfect sizes. I don't like too big and that's one of the things i didn't like about the Pathfinders was their enormous size... or at least in my opinion. So how does it compare?
    it wears rather small for a pathfinder. it's wrist presence is definitely with the mudman in the same league.

It's a serious question. It's got so many features and a solid looking design, only to be had for under $50? I'm feeling scammed
    no need to worry. the SGW-100 just doesn't have a "name" like g-shock, nor does it have confidence tricks like "atomic" or "solar". it's made for people who are looking for a rugged, very functional watch, made by casio but without the usual price tag.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I have one and like it. My only concern about ruggedness is that the buckle is resin or plastic instead of metal. (At least on the resin band version. Don't remember if the canvas strap has metal or resin)

Hmmm, I would say it wears smaller than a Mudman.

Quote Originally Posted by Syztems Rety View Post
    I have one and like it. My only concern about ruggedness is that the buckle is resin or plastic instead of metal. (At least on the resin band version. Don't remember if the canvas strap has metal or resin)

Hmmm, I would say it wears smaller than a Mudman.
    agreed, even though there are DW6600 models for example with the plastic buckle
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

This is an awesome watch. I own one and I feel it has one of the loudest alarms of them all. I love the large, crisp display which is great for older eyes. I consider it comparable to my DW-5600 or louder. I also love the way that the time is displayed in all modes. It also has the multiple time zones, countdown timer with auto-repeat, stopwatch, 5 alarms, and it is very cuff friendly. Here are a few pictures for comparison:

Last edited by reardenman; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:38.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information