Shapeways gshock strap adapters. Anyone tried them?
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Shapeways gshock strap adapters. Anyone tried them?

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Shapeways gshock strap adapters. Anyone tried them?

I was wondering if anyone ordered the shapeways gshock strap adapters made by Keoni?

I was thinking of buying the regular stainless version, sand blast them at work and have them powdercoated in matte black by a friend of mine.

Just wanted to see if anyone had some feedback before I try them.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1125...k-watches.html

Re: Shapeways gshock strap adapters. Anyone tried them?

I've been waiting for someone to answer this as well, because I want to wear a NATO on my 5600 but I can't because it looks stupid as it stands lol. Where else can one acquire such adapters?

Right now you can only purchase them from shapeways. I spoke with the guy who designed these and he added a matte black steal option, but from what I saw on other items made with the same material is that its more like dark grey than black. You can also see the print lines and its textured.

I think i'm gonna go ahead and order the stainless ones to see how they fit. 11$ each is not that expensive considering they will last forever compared to resin. Plus like you said the original ones are ugly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Please let us know how it goes and what you think of them when you get them installed -- photos would be great too!

I've only seen these adapters MENTIONED in one other thread, and have not seen where anybody else has ordered them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarista View Post
    I think i'm gonna go ahead and order the stainless ones to see how they fit. 11$ each is not that expensive considering they will last forever compared to resin. Plus like you said the original ones are ugly.
    Not counting the cost of shipping, $22 would buy 5½ sets of the stock adapters from PacParts -- some people may think they're ugly, but Casio has sold thousands of them (probably tens of thousands), and they were standard equipment on quite a few models.
    Last edited by Mike K; January 29th, 2014 at 04:59.
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

I ordered a pair and would not recommend them. The main problem is that when you wear the watch the adapters, which fit loose, tend to assume 90 degree angle in relation to the watch and that way it looks ugly and makes the watch sit very high on the wrist. Also, the slot where the strap goes is too wide (I tried it with 22 mm strap) and the watch is very loose and moves around the wrist constantly. And last and not very important but because they are so loose they rattle quite a bit and I find it annoying.

If you look at the original Casio adapters and basically any G strap, they have a small foot at the bottom of the strap which prevents them strap from moving (see the picture) and that what this guy needs to replicate. Also, it should be narrower and I think resin is the way to go, metal adapter just looks weird on a G. So, overall not worth the money, but the guy is onto something and it can be made much better. If someone is in contact with him, maybe he should be directed to this thread for suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cioran View Post
    I ordered a pair and would not recommend them. The main problem is that when you wear the watch the adapters, which fit loose, tend to assume 90 degree angle in relation to the watch and that way it looks ugly and makes the watch sit very high on the wrist. Also, the slot where the strap goes is too wide (I tried it with 22 mm strap) and the watch is very loose and moves around the wrist constantly. And last and not very important but because they are so loose they rattle quite a bit and I find it annoying.
    Sorry to hear about your experience -- the first of the problems you mention -- the way the adapters rotate around the springbar -- sounds a LOT like the same problem people experienced with the Suppa adapters: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/old...ml#post7099983

I can't help but wonder if these Shapeways adapters might not have been designed for 24mm straps, since that seems to be the preferred width for G-Shocks on Casio adapters -- at least around WUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Cioran View Post

If you look at the original Casio adapters and basically any G strap, they have a small foot at the bottom of the strap which prevents them strap from moving (see the picture) and that what this guy needs to replicate. Also, it should be narrower and I think resin is the way to go, metal adapter just looks weird on a G. So, overall not worth the money, but the guy is onto something and it can be made much better. If someone is in contact with him, maybe he should be directed to this thread for suggestions.
    Hi Cioran,

thanks for the feedback. You bring up some interesting points. Did you use a 3 ring zulu or 5 ring? With a 5 ring or a nato , the extra strap that goes under would prevent from moving I think. If the slot is too big , I guess it would be better to use 24mm. Can you measure the gap where the strap passes through? on the gshock adapters its around 24.5-24.9mm. Can you take some pictures with the adapters installed on the watch?

He could easily modify the side facing the case in a way that its square with the case so it would not move. You can have them at the same angle as stock which I think fits the case perfectly.
    What I like about these adapters is that they are a slimmer design so you see more strap compared to the stock bulky ones.

I also asked him if he can make some without the slots in the middle. I think it would look ugly seeing the springbar showing through.

I will send him a link of this thread.
    Last edited by ferrarista; February 4th, 2014 at 03:02.
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

Not counting the cost of shipping, $22 would buy 5½ sets of the stock adapters from PacParts -- some people may think they're ugly, but Casio has sold thousands of them (probably tens of thousands), and they were standard equipment on quite a few models.
    Yes there is nothing wrong about the stock ones. I have some and its all good, but would love to have some slimmer ones so that the strap is more exposed. They are still less expensive than the suppa ones which are 40$ with shipping.
    I think these still need to be refined to be perfect.

doesn't matter 3 or 5 ring, without the "foot" it's gonna pop up the watch, so the way to go with these adapter is buying those 2-pieces zulu/nato

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    doesn't matter 3 or 5 ring, without the "foot" it's gonna pop up the watch, so the way to go with these adapter is buying those 2-pieces zulu/nato
    yes 3 rings = 1 piece and 5 rings= 2 piece. Nato is always 2 piece from what I see.

By the way, I cut out the foot on my gshock adapters so that they would sit closer to my wrist and I don't have problems with the watch sitting too high either with my one piece zulu or nato.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information