Shipping of GPS Watches - Airplane Mode
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Shipping of GPS Watches - Airplane Mode

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shipping of GPS Watches - Airplane Mode

If these watches are in the dark, would they automatically enter Airplane Mode?

How could they be shipped safely otherwise?

For example I doubt that people who resell their watches would select Airplane Mode in anticipation that the watch will be shipped via airmail.

Re: Shipping of GPS Watches - Airplane Mode

Most watches with GPS probably only have a receiver. They're only receiving the GPS signal that's always being sent from the satellites to earth. Therefore they would not be sending out any signals that require an airplane mode.

Airplane mode in phones is intended to disable the phone's transmitting antennas to prevent interference with the plane's receiver(s).

The only watches I can think of that would have transmitters would be smart watches that wirelessly communicate with your phone.
    Last edited by mattc.az; March 29th, 2019 at 07:53. Reason: Formatting, wording.

Quote Originally Posted by mattc.az View Post
    Most watches with GPS probably only have a receiver. They're only receiving the GPS signal that's always being sent from the satellites to earth. Therefore they would not be sending out any signals that require an airplane mode.

Airplane mode in phones is intended to disable the phone's transmitting antennas to prevent interference with the plane's receiver(s).

The only watches I can think of that would have transmitters would be smart watches that wirelessly communicate with your phone.
    There are Bluetooth Casio and other brands that transmit to smart phones.

WES51 likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    There are Bluetooth Casio and other brands that transmit to smart phones.
    Good point. I was just thinking of watches that only have a GPS feature. Basically anything that wirelessly communicates "could" have an airplane mode.

I've never actually owned a non-smart watch with Bluetooth. Do those watches have an airplane mode?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mattc.az; March 29th, 2019 at 08:09.

Quote Originally Posted by mattc.az View Post
    Good point. I was just thinking of watches that only have a GPS feature. Basically anything that wirelessly communicates "could" have an airplane mode.

I've never actually owned a non-smart watch with Bluetooth. Do those watches have an airplane mode?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Yes, they have airplane mode with warnings to use it in the manual, but I have never activated it and have never flown with one of these watches.

Casio has many Bluetooth watches now.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

GPS-only watches have airplane mode, too, and warnings in the manual. Seiko Astron does, and it has only GPS, no bluetooth or atomic. I never thought about it, but you're probably right: it should only have a receiver so airplane mode makes no sense.
    - Casio G-Shock MR-G G1000B-1A
    - Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF
    - Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1
    - Casio Pro Trek PRW-6600YBE-5
    -
    Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
    - Seiko Samurai Great White Shark edition SRPD23K1

Quote Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
    GPS-only watches have airplane mode, too, and warnings in the manual. Seiko Astron does, and it has only GPS, no bluetooth or atomic. I never thought about it, but you're probably right: it should only have a receiver so airplane mode makes no sense.
    Who's going to know or even check?
    When there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
    Who's going to know or even check?
    Not sure if the OP was thinking about the safety of the watch or the safety of the plane flying it. If WES51 was thinking about the plane, given the focus on airline safety (especially timely with the Boeing 737 max issue), he might have a point. I'm no expert on avionics, but on a plane these days, I just shut off all electronic devices. Never gave a thought to my watches and maybe there is no issue at all re: GPS and bluetooth functions as they relate to plane functionality. I'm no expert in this field and I have no GPS or BT Casios. Anybody who knows avionics have an opinion, not the most irrelevant point I've ever seen made on F17.

Is it just me, or do other folk think that 'airplane' mode is totally superfluous? Think about it, there are millions of mile flown around the world daily, many folk can't cross a street properly, never mind know how to turn their device into 'airplane' mode. This should mean that planes should be dropping out of the sky on a daily basis, they don't!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Is it just me, or do other folk think that 'airplane' mode is totally superfluous? Think about it, there are millions of mile flown around the world daily, many folk can't cross a street properly, never mind know how to turn their device into 'airplane' mode. This should mean that planes should be dropping out of the sky on a daily basis, they don't!
    That's my point.

These things go unchecked and unset every day and nothing happens.

On some level airplane mode makes sense. But in this litigious bubble wrap world, everything is an excuse to meddle.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    When there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information