a short review of my GDF-100-1B
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: a short review of my GDF-100-1B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture a short review of my GDF-100-1B

Here's a short review of my new Casio G-Shock GDF-100-1B.
    The GDF-100 is a relatively new model and it fits in the somewhat larger (size wise) range of models Casio has been releasing lately. It shares the same strap as the GA-100/110/120 and GD-100 series. It was released in 3 colors initially (I'm sure more will follow): Black resin, red accents with positive display (GDF-100-1A), red resin with negative display (GDF-100-4) and black resin with negative display (GDF-100-1B). Only Casio will know why only the first two were released in Europe and the black/black one wasn't. Of course this was my favorite, so I ordered it in the USA.
    It arrived in Casios new hexagonal black tin. Contrary to the old tin the watch is no longer upright in the tin, but on it's side. This makes it easier to fit the watch in, esp. the larger ones and the tin itself can be a little smaller.

Looks:
    I must admit that as I saw pictures of the GDF-100 for the first time, I didn't like it at all. The weird knobs on the left side of the case weren't my cup of tea at all. Again Casio made it difficult for themselves by releasing such crummy pictures. Rest assured, the watch looks way better in person. I still don't like the weird knobs, but on this all black model they don't stand out like on the other two models.
    Apart from this I think it looks really cool. The orange circle looks a little bronze/rusty up close, which I think is a nice touch. I like Casio's new strap style with the double tang too. The display is a pain to photograph. It's way better readable than in the pictures. In fact, this is one of the best reverse displays I've seen so far. Naturaly it isn't as legible as a positive display, but I don't mind, because I think negative displays look cooler

Features
    First, the display. The orange circle on the right shows the difference in height or in air pressure compared to the last measurement. In all functions the time is being displayed in the top display.
    At first glance the functions appear to be the same as in the Riseman, but the Riseman has more functions.
    The button on the right starts the altimeter function. Height is only being displayed, but not recorded (like on the Riseman). The mode button on the left troggles between the barometric function, world time, stopwatch, timer and alarm function. The barometric function shows the current measurement, but unlike on the Riseman nothing is being recorded here either. Values can be displayed in hPa or mm Hg (and m/ft for the altimeter function). The current temperature (in °C/F) is being displayed both in the barometric as well as the altimeter function.
    Another cool feature is the LED-backlight. It's very bright and has a cool blue shade

Conclusion
    I like this watch - it's considerably cheaper than the Riseman, larger than the Riseman, but it has less functions. (3 year battery vs. solar on the Riseman). Still, I think it's different enough from the Riseman. Like on most Gs - good value for the money
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Sjors; July 18th, 2011 at 13:20. Reason: fixed smiley :-)
    ericng79 and lvt like this.
    Cheers,
    Micha

Re: a short review of my GDF-100-1B

Copied to reviews.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Great review. I agree with you assessment and can't tell people enough to not judge this watch by the pictures. You must see it in person to truly appreciate it's design. MUCH better looking in person! It wears very comfortably and you're spot on about the display. Hard to photograph, but has fantastic ledgibility. I like how this model has orange digits to compliment the orange accents on the watch. the GDF100-4 has more of a white/grey colored digits. I haven't had the opportunity to wear my GDF when incliment weather approaches, but I'd really like to know the accuracy of the barometer. That was a big reason that I bought this (besides it's really cool look) because I'm a football coach and I like to know when it's time to get the kids off the field. Thanks for the review, and great pictures!!!

Name:  IMG_20110430_145856.jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  77.7 KB

And for size comparison:
    Name:  IMG_20110430_145821.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  84.5 KB
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice watch and thanks for the review!!!

I'm trying to find the RED one myself...

Nice write-up, thanks for the review!

Can anyone tell me if this can give the temperature on the fly or is it like the Riseman where you have to take the thing off your wrist for 20 min. to get a accurate reading? This seems like a huge inconvenience. I hope that the new Muddie isnt like the Riseman in that respect...

i like this series too, what stops me from getting one is the battery ........................................ and the black band/bezel

i think casio said 5 years, not 3 years with the 3255

Great watch, I love this series, I have the 1A and 1B and they both get more wrist time than any other G. I would probably say, fit and finish, this is my favorite model in the current G lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by 40swords View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this can give the temperature on the fly or is it like the Riseman where you have to take the thing off your wrist for 20 min. to get a accurate reading? This seems like a huge inconvenience. I hope that the new Muddie isnt like the Riseman in that respect...
    You will have to take it off to get an accurate reading (and I'm guessing that you will have to take the Mudman off too). Any watch will automatically become warmer than the room temperature because it takes up heath from your wrist.
    Cheers,
    Micha

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    i think casio said 5 years, not 3 years with the 3255
    it says 3 years on g-shock.eu
    Cheers,
    Micha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information