Short review of the Nitecore D10 "smart PD"

Thread: Short review of the Nitecore D10 "smart PD"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Off topic Short review of the Nitecore D10 "smart PD"

hi all,

according to this thread and due to the obvious interest in small, powerful, "tactical" LED flashlights, I thought I share my newest purchase, an AA battery driven high-powered LED torch model D10 made by nitecore.

first of all, let me say that it was ordered from www.4sevens.com (fenix-store) and that it arrived very quickly. shipping is free worldwide and if you have wishes or complaints, just drop those guys a mail and they react promptly - thanks for this great service.

the nitecore D10 is my sixth LED torch (3x fenix, 1x dereelight, 1x trustfire so far) and it will probably be my new EDC which was until now the fenix L1D.

here are two pics of the packaging and its content:

the flashlight comes with two spare o-rings, an international warranty card and a massive lanyard, though no holster.

before I type a few words about the technical aspect, a very basic thing that makes this torch very interesting: its size.

it measures 20.26 millimeters (mm) in diameter....:

and 88.94 mm in lenght....:

...which makes it exactly 1.24 mm thinner in diameter than a fenix L1D/P2D...:

...and 7.20 mm shorter than a fenix L1D....:

(please note: the paperclip is only for preventing the lamps rolling off my desktop )

now, 7.20mm may not seem very much, but for an EDC a few millimeters less are not to be underestimated, especially if you carry the lamp in a trouser pocket for instance.

it is also remarkable, that the nitecore is only 8.24mm longer than a fenix P2D...:

...which is known as one of the smallest and most powerful LED's (in its size)
    currently availabe, with about 180 emitter lumens when a Cree Q5 LED is used powered by a 3/3.6 volt lion (R)CR123 battery/rechargeable.

speaking of power source and lumens: the nitcore D10 is powered by a single AA (mignon) battery, alternatively rechargeables (I use eneloops) or 14500 li-ion's can be used. the torch is rated at 130 lumens when set to maximum output. though a 3/3.6 volt lamp can get a fair amount more light out of the reflector (which is textured by the way), I still prefer an AA lamp for EDC, knowing that this kind of battery is always and literally everywhere available just make me feel more comfortable, though I usually carry at least one spare cell with me, but I guess its just a "peace of mind" thing

it is also worth to mention, that the surface of the nite is in my opinion by far superior to that of fenix lamps. I always found fenix's surfaces too smooth and therefore to slippery. the nitecore's surface is nicely checkered, which enhances the grip quite a lot.

now what makes the nitecore D10 - besides its size and grip - so special, is the (in my opinion) revolutionary user interface. you can turn this torch on/off just like a mini maglite by simply tighten/loosen the head. this way is probably prefered by maglite owners who are pretty used to this system and/or people who are not familar with modern day tailswitches. it also gives you the advantage not to turn on accidentally the lamp in your pockets and drain unawared the power. but even with loosen head, the tailswitch of the flasjhlight is working, as long as you keep your finger on it, take it away and the lamp shut off. if you prefer not to twist the head, just tighten it, push the tailswitch once and the torch will stay permanently on.
    the shortcut "smart PD" stands for smart Piston Drive, here is a picture of the lamp with the piston drive removed....:

...and smart it is indeed. not only the above mentioned methods of twisting/clicking the light on/off but also virtually any desired brightness level between high and low (which is very low btw., about 1% or 1-2 lumens) can be choosen. to do so simply keep pressed the tailswitch and the digital controler will the lamp stepless ramp up or down. you can also switch momentary from high to low by pressing the tailswitch twice within 0.5 seconds and from low to high by pressing the tailswitch twice and keep it pressed for another second. this all may sounds quite complicated, but actually its not and after playing around for a while with the UI and practicing its fairly easy to achive. steven form 4sevens.com made an excellent tutorial video about the lamps UI and for everyone seriously interested and probably planning to buy one, here is the youtube link:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=irqhuV8Xo_A

well, I guess thats pretty much about it, I hope you enjoyed reading and the pictures.

regards, holger
    Last edited by cal..45; August 22nd, 2008 at 02:33.

Re: Short review of the Nitecore D10 "smart PD"

Cool post; I like the UI on that. It sounds complicated but the video makes it clearer, and it's a neat design.

And apparently EDC = "EveryDay Carry", for those like me who haven't spent much time on flashlights.

Must.. resist.. new.. hobby..

Cool review I am not into these (yet), surpose there are worse things ;

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; August 22nd, 2008 at 13:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think I'll be ordering one of those next week.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    Cool review I am not into these (yet), surpose there are worse things ;
    Q-6
    i cant afford another hobby! :oops:

Top notch and most comprehensive review!
    Thanks mate!

@ lexx,

I promise you won't be disappointed. the D10 is the best EDC lamp I have hold in my hands to date

@ lee172,

you don't have to make necessarily a hobby out of flashlights. of course you always can, but to me its more part of being equipped with the right stuff at the right time. a good flashlight comes in handy by far more often than most people would think.

@ kiwidj,

thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you like it

regards, holger

now i know there are other things than g-shocks that can drain my wallet.

i already have two maglites, one singleAAA, one 2AA LED. was looking for a single-battery powered LED tough torch

and i also like the paypal payment option

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

TTT

Nice review Holger.

I have noticed a bug in my D10 though, and that is this:
    If you turn the light off on 'high,' and the batteries are getting a little worn down, you may not be able to turn the light on again at all unless you put a fresh battery in. In fact, sometimes it won't even come on if you turn it off on 'low.' The battery can still contain enough power to run the light on 'high' for a long time (if you can get it to fire up, it will), but you can't start it up most of the time.

I wish the regulating circuit had some kind of allowance for this, so the light would keep functioning until it had completely drained the battery, rather than just refusing to fire up.

Other than that, excellent light.

@ ttt,

thanks for pointing this out. to be honest I hadn't a chance yet to drain power on an eneloop as much as it could occur, although I played around a lot with the D10 the last days (nights ). just out of curiosity, does this problem occur only with primaries, or rechargeables, or both?

I will drain a rechargeable and primary and see what will happen. after that I will report back in this thread.

regards, holger

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information