Should Casio Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic?

View Poll Results: Should Casio Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic?

Voters
121. This poll is closed
  • Yes, Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic

58 47.93%
  • No, Do Not Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic

63 52.07%

Thread: Should Casio Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should Casio Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic?

I was thinking about the concept of Casio equipping all G-Shocks with Solar~Atomic.

Especially if Casio was to pass on the savings based on economy of scale, then the price of the individual watches would not be as high as they are now for models with Solar~Atomic features.

An example that comes to mind are the two new 6900's I have. One is the G-6900 which at time of sale retailed $80.00 and the GW-6900 which sold for $130.00. In this example the Atomic feature added another $50.00 to the price of the GW-6900. I don't know how much the Solar feature added to both.

But I do know that if Casio makes all future G-Shocks Solar~Atomic the cost of making them would go down, then if some of the savings was passed on to the customer, the overall cost increase of G-Shocks should not be that great.

That said, there is always the price war at any price point, and raising all G-Shock prices may be a deal breaker for Casio, especially in the current economic climate. Not being privy to the demographics of the typical G-Shock customer, I am not in a position to know just how price sensitive they are.

For the sake of conversation if the price was _not_ a deal breaker, then I would be the first to encourage Casio to go full Solar/Atomic, as the advantages are obvious and it's a nice marketing tool. It would also cut down on the number of models, which would create cost savings as well.

What are your thougths on this subject?

Re: Should Casio Make All G-Shocks Solar ~ Atomic?

I think any range of goods, at whatever price, needs a variety of price points.

It allows people who can afford the better ones to feel fabulous 'cos they can, and the people who can't quite do so will feel happy that they're part of something with a less well-featured version from the same range.

If all G-Shocks became similar prices as a result of all being Solar Atomic, Casio would only invent a higher price point based on the next set of new features. As they should. Much successful marketing is based on trickle-down features.

The Atomic/Solar models from what I have seen give up a lot of features. I don't know if it is a limitation on the available ROM, or processing power, or what ever.

I hope they continue with the non-solar, until technology allows them give us the best of both worlds.

So I vote not yet.
    Last edited by bulldog15; August 24th, 2009 at 21:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A/S: Yes, if they made more like the GW-M850, loaded with functions.
    Brad
    Have a great day.

I'm sure I voted no. I hope this isn't going to be another poll where votes <> replies! Actually, no hope of that

They're the only kind I like, but I don't think they should abandon other types. Lets not forget that the atomic doesn't work everywhere by any stretch of the imagination.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

the last time i made a proclamation (boxes don't have model numbers) based on personal experience, i was faced with photographic evidence to the contrary! so i am going to be a little less resolute now.

i think the answer is yes with an asterisk. i think there's always room for a plain, battery-powered screwback small square. and maybe two or three other basics.

but by and large, i'd love to see atomic everywhere. now i say that with another qualification: casio needs to refine the atomic setup procedure. what about implementing a 'first use' procedure that automatically walks the user through setup, instead of having to "hold a"? the manuals need to be friendlier, maybe with some color, regarding setting home time and putting the watch by a window overnight. lose the jargon and disclaimers at the beginning. casio needs to either further refine receiver sensitivity (may be accomplished with the latest 6 band antenna) or reassure the user that the watch may only sync every other night. they need to do something to address the many (based on first-timers posting here) who try a manual sync on the subway at 3 pm and are concerned that the watch doesn't sync.

in my experience the 'received level indicator' is of little value. i'm also not positive we need constant reminder of the last night's sync status. and speaking of cleaning up display elements, i question that we need four segments for high, med, low, and chg. maybe 'ok' 'chg' would be enough.

when a great watch like the gwm850 is selling for $85, and older twin band models sell for much less, i don't think the cost is prohibitive.

some comment on the 'atomic versions' losing features in comparison to the 'non atomic versions'. the answer to that is simple... in those cases (gulfman, and mudman, i presume), the 'atomic version' is actually a different model. i am confidant that casio decided to omit the tide table and replace the moon with the 'received' eyes
    for aesthetic reasons. we see that in later atomic models, the 'received by transmitter' section has been dropped (thank goodness), so more room is again available for other functions .
    Last edited by a-Tom-ic; August 24th, 2009 at 23:19.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

definately yes atomic tough solar is the coolest

i dont understand why they dont do it to all mid-high end models

Let's face it: many G-Shocks are novelties. Outrageous colors, soccer commemoratives, Godzilla back-lights, etc. There's no reason to hop up every watch they make.

Solar power and atomic time are just a bit of gadgety fun really. They also add complexity, and I like simplicity. Personally, I find the solar panels unattractive, and Casio's implementation of the technologies means that the displays carry extra symbols and indicators. And then there's the cost. There's room for technology-laden watches but classic G-Shocks should be as affordable as possible.

Watches that are scared of the dark and search the starry night for a sign? Nah...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information