should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member Tetsu Tekubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, AU
    Posts
    5,824

    should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    I understand Gs are targeted to men so maybe a dancing fish isnt for every body but has anyone ever wondered what Gs would be like if they were a bit more fun (feature wise, not resin colour) like baby Gs? Or even if they were more like the vintage ones where they had quirky little features?

    I popped some fresh batteries into my missus baby G work beaters and couldnt help but to proceed to wear them out with excessive button pushing haha but look at the details, the analog has a little G on the second hand, the digital has animated dolphins swimming (and a bunch of other sealife) and of course those coloured EL backlights. Imagine how much that would change the look of a G with the right colour? It’s a bit sad to see these little bits of pizzazz fall by the way side. i mean who wouldnt want a little running man during stop watch mode or a karate dude fly kicking another guy during an alarm?? (yes a feature on another baby g)









    Also side note: these are from the mid-late 90s, so about 20years on the resin (about 5-7 in my wifes ownership) and the resin is fine. Def. not the best but certainly no sign of turning to dust like so many have foretold.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin


    IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    884

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    Well, they actually did that to some old Gs. Most famous are the DW-8150 series and is one of my favourites.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-XMlEE8-g

    But you said it, it was from like 15-20 years ago. They have not done anything like that to any of their G's or BG's over the past 10 years, and they are increasingly unlikely to go the retro route and bring back these fun stuff especially their strategy now is to go upscale.
    soulbridgemedia and idkfa like this.

  3. #3
    Member starscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,028

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    Yeah id like to see some of the fun stuff that Baby-Gs have. At least on playful models like the Jason etc..
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member dobber72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    2,028

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    No, no, no, no ... just please no.


  6. #5
    Member kmbijit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    IND
    Posts
    2,285

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    Kiddy-games, swimming fish...a definite nay-nay, but the ability to customize fonts and screen elements and some fun graphics are certainly welcome. In this regard, the G-7800 is one of the fun-oriented G-shocks. Seiko, Suunto and Pulsar score better here with their dot-matrix LCDs.
    Last edited by kmbijit; January 28th, 2016 at 12:32.

  7. #6
    Member Knives and Lint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle(West)/Florida(NSB)
    Posts
    3,299

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    It would be cool on some models (especially on some of the fun models like starscream mentioned) as long as it doesn't displace functionality. I wouldn't mind a running man in stopwatch mode, but not if it prevented there being something like current time. That being said it would add a bit of nostalgia, reminding us of a time in our childhood when Casio watches were fascinating (at least for me they were).


    I will say this though, my daughter hated the dolphin/puffer fish/dog/cat in the display of her Baby G. Don't get me wrong, she loved playing with it at first, but the problem was that it was displayed in the day window every time you activate the light. Ocassionally, she would wake up in the morning before sunrise, and in her sleepy state not remember if it was a school day or not. Well, when she would activate the light to see the day of the week, all she could see was the "kiddy" animal display. Apparently this was very frustrating to her because as soon as she got her S-series (pink camo) one of the first things she said was, "Good, it doesn't have that annoying PUFFER FISH!"

  8. #7
    Member Tetsu Tekubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, AU
    Posts
    5,824

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    It would be cool on some models (especially on some of the fun models like starscream mentioned) as long as it doesn't displace functionality. I wouldn't mind a running man in stopwatch mode, but not if it prevented there being something like current time. That being said it would add a bit of nostalgia, reminding us of a time in our childhood when Casio watches were fascinating (at least for me they were).


    I will say this though, my daughter hated the dolphin/puffer fish/dog/cat in the display of her Baby G. Don't get me wrong, she loved playing with it at first, but the problem was that it was displayed in the day window every time you activate the light. Ocassionally, she would wake up in the morning before sunrise, and in her sleepy state not remember if it was a school day or not. Well, when she would activate the light to see the day of the week, all she could see was the "kiddy" animal display. Apparently this was very frustrating to her because as soon as she got her S-series (pink camo) one of the first things she said was, "Good, it doesn't have that annoying PUFFER FISH!"
    lol thats a pretty unique situation. on the off chance you forget what day it is and dont have the cognitive ability to mentally calculate it by powers of deduction then yes seeing that damn puffer fish would be quite frustrating lol tho i dont think i know of any model that actually has had a function removed for the sake of added "flair", its always just been an extra feature on top of the regular ones. but its not just colourful or animated kiddy additions, think about "grown up" applications - alot of them (and older Gs) came with a built in data bank, which amongst todays models could easily be used for data logging or the old fashion use of remembering numbers or passwords or whatever.
    alot of ppl also complain about loss of night vision with some of the bright leds, what if you had a dual light where you could press one button and have the regular led light or press another and get a red EL backlight?
    what about having animations for shifting weather on a triple/twin sensor? a little sun icon changes to a cloud with a question mark then to a rain cloud as the pressure drops, maybe even have a settable alarm if the baro drops x amount in less than an hour or soemthing. certainly well within their capabilities.
    zabat and Knives and Lint like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin


    IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

  9. #8
    Member zabat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    822

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    And it's not just the whimsy, either. Some of these Baby-Gs look... right. I've always admired this one, and wished that there was full size G version of it:

    Name:  bgd141_CIMG0864c.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  131.3 KB

    And the Baby G's use a lot of coloured negative mirrored LCDs, which look fantastic, and they use what space they have more efficiently than the full sized Gs do:

    Name:  bg-5601-4jf-a.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  97.7 KB

    And the awesome coloured resins and padded bullbars are cool too:

    Name:  bg-169g-4dr_00_3.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  65.8 KB (pictures stolen from the internet)
    Last edited by zabat; February 2nd, 2016 at 18:59. Reason: pic attribution

  10. #9
    Member Knives and Lint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle(West)/Florida(NSB)
    Posts
    3,299

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    but its not just colourful or animated kiddy additions, think about "grown up" applications - alot of them (and older Gs) came with a built in data bank, which amongst todays models could easily be used for data logging or the old fashion use of remembering numbers or passwords or whatever.
    alot of ppl also complain about loss of night vision with some of the bright leds, what if you had a dual light where you could press one button and have the regular led light or press another and get a red EL backlight?
    what about having animations for shifting weather on a triple/twin sensor? a little sun icon changes to a cloud with a question mark then to a rain cloud as the pressure drops, maybe even have a settable alarm if the baro drops x amount in less than an hour or soemthing. certainly well within their capabilities.

    I agree completely. I remember as a kid, how cool it felt to have a watch that stored phone numbers (back when remembering phone numbers mattered), and how much fun it was to see people's reaction when they saw it. Its really the fond memories of how much fun Casio's were to me as a kid that got me back in to collecting G's a few years ago. I think people (amongst watch collectors) who don't understand why people collect G-Shocks fail to appreciate how much fun they are. I would definitely welcome it if Casio would draw on that heritage and add some of those quirky features (such as animations) to modern G's.

    I especially like your dual light idea. They could even have the red EL and then have a LED that worked as a low output wrist light. Somewhat like the Victorinox Night Vision 2. Battery life might be an issue, but it really wouldn't have to be any brighter than the LED on the GPW to be effective. In fact, you can actually use the GPW as it is for this purpose.


    Also...I gotta get me one of those Baby G's with the flying side kick on the alarm

  11. #10
    Member zabat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    822

    Re: should Gs have some of the fun of baby Gs?

    Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    ....ppl also complain about loss of night vision with some of the bright leds, what if you had a dual light where you could press one button and have the regular led light or press another and get a red EL backlight?....
    Really like this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    .... They could even have the red EL and then have a LED that worked as a low output wrist light. Somewhat like the Victorinox Night Vision 2. Battery life might be an issue, but it really wouldn't have to be any brighter than the LED on the GPW ....
    Yup, let’s give the smartphone-using non-watch-wearing humans a reason to start wearing a watch again.
    And since the light is never going to be super bright, why not a 2 output level red LED? ALSO, a 2 level alarm. Oh, and while we are at it, a sunrise/sunset readout/alarm would be awesome, and de rigeur for vampires and slayers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: February 5th, 2016, 09:57
    2. NYC GTGs are Fun Fun
      By FlyPenFly in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: April 16th, 2012, 02:56
    3. Replies: 7
      Last Post: October 10th, 2011, 00:00
    4. Replies: 22
      Last Post: September 22nd, 2011, 20:07
    5. Baby-G Movie Clip from official Japan Baby-G site
      By jmathis in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: October 27th, 2006, 23:20

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •