Should I Bust This Joker???

Thread: Should I Bust This Joker???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I Bust This Joker???

OK here's the deal: the first time I saw a picture of Pharrell wearing a white (gasp!) G-Shock, I knew I had to have one. I've been rockin' Shocks for many years- they're prevalent in the military community - so I already loved them. I'm not blingy, but I love all things white (sneakers, watches, belts, clothing), so when I saw it I immediately really wanted to track one down. I've been so busy over the past couple years that I never spent the time... but I've continually desired a white Shock. So now I'm getting one.

Now, I'm not stupid- I'm not going to pay 4 or 5 bills for BAPE G. But I'll happily go to the Casio website and pay <$100 for a common white model. So what, it's missing a few logos here and there. However, I do like the BAPE colorway, so I figured I would look.

Well, I track down this ad on Craigslist- some kid claiming to have one. So I asked for a few detailed pics if he still had it, and that I will buy it if he produces them. For $100 (haha, I know) I figured, "What the hell. Worth a shot in the dark", right? So low and behold, he replies, sends pictures, and says he has not one but TWO for sale. At first glance I'm like "ah hell yes", as I see gold gorillas on the box. He even includes a piece of paper with his email server in the pics so I know he didn't steal the images off of the internet.

Well, I have a closer look and realize that they are indeed fake. Just for clarity, I will post them up so people can agree with me.

#1 The logo looks gold! Ahh, but it must just be the lighting because you'll see in the following pics that it's not. (strike 1)
    #2 The cardboard corner inserts in the box (at both ends of the watch band) fit poorly and are not flush with the box. (strike 2)
    #3 Brown tag looks off in color. (strike 3)

#4 The "Bathing Ape" text on the band is too low (strike 4)
    #5 ...and the text is incorrect (strike 5)
    #6 ...and the sets of indentions on the band are missing. (strike 6)

#7 The "P" indicating P.M. is located too far to the left for it to be a real G. (strike 7)

#8 There's no 'Casio' printed on the casing and the serial number is clearly bogus and not imprinted. (strike 8)
    #9 There's no black plastic 'frame' under the case, as there is with an authentic product. (strike 9)
    (I'm [email protected]#%!ng Roger Clemens, 'cause I just struck this dude out three times. Anyways, you get the idea.)

Well, at first I'm like "oh, well... what did I really expect for a hundred bucks...". However, I then re-read this and decided to be pissed:

"Here are some more pictures with my name next to it. You sent me two emails so just to let you know, I am the only one of craigslist selling these. They are very hard to find. Let me know if you have anymorequestions. I have two more left."
    Jason

Then I realized this punk goes to the College of New Jersey by looking at his email address, and 2 + 2 = 4: I go to their online directory and after 2 minutes, bam- there he is... Jason Chao. Lookie what I found:

http://www.tcnj.edu/~chao3/index.html

What. An. Idiot.

So now here is what I was about to send him:

"Trying to sell fake ....? Too bad... Maybe the university president at The College of New Jersey would like to know he has a student of his community selling illegal merchandise on the internet to the unsuspecting..."

But now I'm thinking of just straight-up emailing their Board of Trustees.

Should I bust this JV scam artist?
    Last edited by TiMeI$MoNeY; September 11th, 2007 at 08:44.

Re: Should I Bust This Joker???

There are far too mny of these fakes cropping up everywhere, Ebay is full of white, yellow and pink ones, and young, impressionable kids are lapping them uo because they want to look like their favourite rap artists. A fool and his money are easily parted. Bust his ass, boy

Rob H

I know where you're coming from. I've reported plenty of fake Frogman sellers on ebay and it feels good to get back at people taking advantage of others. However, before you get this kid in trouble, how sure are you that he actually is aware of the fact that these are fake Bapes? TONS of people can't tell the difference. It might be obvious to you and me (and it is) but there have been countless unsuspecting people who have paid ridiculous sums of money for a fake. Couldn't the seller have made the same mistake himself?

I'm not defending the guy and if he's a scam artist then fry him. Just be sure you know what you're doing or you could cause this kid some serious damage for nothing. Just my .02

Take care.
    Last edited by tseely; September 11th, 2007 at 08:41. Reason: spelling
    It's always sunny in Boise!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ahh, words of wisdom.

Yeah I have considered that possibility. But his Craigslist ad - which I happened to discover - is from New Orleans, and he has the watches at school in Jersey...

Quote Originally Posted by TiMeI$MoNeY View Post
    Ahh, words of wisdom.

Yeah I have considered that possibility. But his Craigslist ad - which I happened to discover - is from New Orleans, and he has the watches at school in Jersey...
    Yeah, if you've got proof that he knows what he's actually selling then he deserves what's coming to him. I'd hate to be in his shoes.
    It's always sunny in Boise!!

You should totally bust this guy regardless of who he is and where he goes to school, in fact make some stuff up as you go along and email it direct to the top brass.
    meanwhile take a look at what I did to my 'bape' here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=81004

Maybe the scumbags peddling this rubbish will get the message one day....
    Real men don't need instructions.

Bust him quick! These universities need to police themselves. They let any scoundrel in that can raise the tuition. The guy most likely knows what he is doing,if he doesn't you are doing him a big favor. I see that he is majoring in international business- he must have skipped a few classes. He should thank you for enhancing his academic education by a real world application. He will learn lessons in english "can you spell fraud", business law "false advertising", and some criminal justice- "wire fraud" and some U.S. government"postal laws". I am sure there are others that the New Jersey Attorney Generals Office and Casio Headquarters(based in N.J.) would enjoy explaining to him.

I think actually buying one is a mistake anyone could make, but buying a couple and selling them on, stating they are rare and genuine is pretty much inexcusable. Before you sell something as authentic and rare, you should be responsible enough to make sure it is. Otherwise, any comebacks are deserved. That's my take on it.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

I'm a complete noob when it comes to fakes but my objective observation tells me that if he really believed they were genuine, he'd try to sell them for nearer what the real ones go for, rather than trying to flog off two to the first wood duck that comes along...

...I'd say he knows exactly what he's got and he thinks you're a naive sucker who won't be able to tell the difference...why not sell him two.

Isn't this a police matter anyway? I mean, what is a college really going to do? It's a good defence to say he bought them believing they were real as well...some dean isn't going to know anything about this kind of fraud.

"#8 There's no 'Casio' printed on the casing..."

Everybody, even noobs, know CASIO makes G-shocks. There are other shock resistant watches out there, but but CASIO makes G-shocks! No "Casio" on the watch = not a Casio.

"I'm a complete noob when it comes to fakes but my objective observation tells me that if he really believed they were genuine, he'd try to sell them for nearer what the real ones go for, rather than trying to flog off two to the first wood duck that comes along..."

I agree, bust him. He probably found out they were fake after he bought them. Sadly, I doubt much will happen to him, the police got bigger problems on their hands than a few replica casios.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information