Should I buy a Seiko Diver ?

Thread: Should I buy a Seiko Diver ?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Question Should I buy a Seiko Diver ?

Ok, I'll admit I haven't a clue about analogue watches really. I have one Seiko analogue quartz in a drawer somewhere but I've been analogue-free for years, apart from a brief fling with Timex vintages.

But, these damn pictures of Seiko SKX-007's and Monsters keep turning up on this forum and I find myself spending more and more time looking at them. Then I think, 'Bah! Stupid machines that need oiling and winding and resetting all the time.' And I look at my digital collection of timekeeping marvels and try to forget the cool looks of the divers.

So, tell me, all you G-Shock and diver owners, why should I buy one or not buy one ?

What will it do for me that a G-Shock won't ? Talk me out of it please

ps I'm watching 5 on eBay

Re: Should I buy a Seiko Diver ?

Gives you some more variety, and mechanical (just as variety again), if you're looking at 007 and monsters. I have 007, 009, Sumo, Tuna. It's kind of nice to able to swap bracelet for strap, and part of the fun is finding new straps. My G's are nice because I can just pick them up and go. But if you're considering analog, I think a Seiko diver is a great one. Pretty reliable and sturdy. Also kind of neat to check out the lume at night.

If you want a Seiko diver, get a quartz. Just as well built, superior accuracy. I've owned a monster and a 007, flipped them both. The lack of accuracy drove me nuts. I was literally setting the watch every other day. That's gotta do wonders for water resistance. I bought a Seiko quartz and I really like it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If the accuracy thing bothers you... then I'd recommend against it. Purely form over function... I don't mind

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I guess if I was considering a quartz I'd probably get an analogue G-shock quartz. I've never owned a large automatic diver's watch so thought it'd be interesting to at least try one out. The accuracy thing might really annoy me though unless I can get my head around the form and function concept and just use it as a well designed, albeit slightly faulty machine on my wrist.
    To be frank, I just like the look of them. Thanks for the pic AtomicSolar

But, could someone answer a couple of questions for me before I decide ?

What life expectancy can I look for before a Seiko SKX-007 needs a service ? ( 1, 5, 10 years ?? - assuming daily use or occasional use. )
    Do they become more accurate if worn daily ? As I'll only be wearing it occasionally this might be a problem.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by kpatt View Post
    What life expectancy can I look for before a Seiko SKX-007 needs a service ? ( 1, 5, 10 years ?? - assuming daily use or occasional use. )
    Do they become more accurate if worn daily ? As I'll only be wearing it occasionally this might be a problem.
    Hmm, I don't think the lower Seiko automatics ever really need a service... considering the prices you can get them for it's probably better if you just buy a new one, I think. There are many who have had their Seiko autos running for well over ten years, some twenty even, without ever having serviced the watch. However, I'd at least get the gaskets changed if I wanted it to keep its 200m depth rating.

As for wearing the watch occasionally, I think these movements tend to speed up as they reach the end of their power reserve. Also, if not worn often (maybe every other day), you might be put off; you'd have to unscrew the crown and reset the day/date/time . . .

It's a shame there's no "quartz version" of the SKX007 in current production (I don't consider the SBCM023 because it's not exactly the same, significantly smaller and about twice the price last I checked) because that would cover all of the above "problems." I just love the look of the watch and the lume/bezel/mechanical aspect are great, which is why I just had to buy it again after having sold it some months back.

Side note, current SKX007s come with the slightly improved 7S26B movement, which some people have said has kept better time than the previous 7S26A movement. I'll have to check that myself sometime, but at the moment I really don't care if it's +10 seconds or not

AtomicSolar, thanks for the info. I had noticed the quartz models seemed noticeably smaller and I really do want a large watch, I guess G-Shocks spoil you that way.
    Anyway, I've put in a bid or two so I'll see how it goes.

cheers,

I have a SKX007, 009, and black and orange monsters. If you can get them to run accurately, and wear them everyday they're great. It's getting them to run accurately that's hard. I can't tolerate +15 a day. I was even thinking last night about dropping a Seiko quartz movement in one, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for one or whether it would even fit (hands, date wheel, etc).

I've got mechanicals that run a hell of a lot better than the low end Seikos, but I just dig the SKX007/009s. They're classic dive watches. Too bad you can't wind 'em.
    Wear what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    I've got mechanicals that run a hell of a lot better than the low end Seikos, but I just dig the SKX007/009s. They're classic dive watches. Too bad you can't wind 'em.
    Cheers Bruce, I just hope I don't like the 007 too much, if I win one, because it was a toss up between that and the 009. I can see myself ending up buying one of each, including the monsters, and starting on a whole new downward collecting spiral

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by kpatt View Post
    So, tell me, all you G-Shock and diver owners, why should I buy one or not buy one ?
    well why you should or shouldn't buy one is up to you and to you alone. so this can no one answer for you.

What will it do for me that a G-Shock won't ?
    to tell you the truth: nothing, absolutely nothing. the question should rather opposite: what can a g-shock do for you that an analog seiko (or any other brand for that matter) can't? well in that case the answer is: just about everything. just think about stopwatches, countdown timers, worldtime, accuracy, solar, rc and you get the idea...

about analog watches in general: my advice is to get one with tritium vials (H3), because that is in my opinion the ONLY thing in which an analog watch is superior to the very best digital watches - great legibility under all light conditions without draining battery or even the need to push a button. you won't find a H3 watch made by seiko though, but Traser, Luminox, KHS and a whole lot others. once you encountered the advantage a H3 watch offers, every other analog watch regardless of price or brand will become absolutely uninteresting, you can take my word for it.

regards, holger

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information