Should I replace my G?

Thread: Should I replace my G?

Should I replace my G?

I'm thinking about replacing my Casio G-Shock DW5600E with one of the below. I've been eyeing them for a few weeks now. It's a hard decision for me because I'll be letting go of a classic that does what I need it to do to another watch with a lot more bells and whistles that I may or may not use. Also, I'm not sure if I'll like the negative display. I guess I can always get one of them and decide on which one to keep. The reason why it's one or the other is because I set a max limit to my watch collection - 10 and I can only have one ultimate beater watch in my collection (but I know that I'll still be careful with it).
    What say you - stay with the DW5600 or update? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Should I replace my G?

Add an amendment to your 10 watch rule, stating that you can have up to 12 watches, but two or more must be temporary and for purposes of evaluation.

Now, get one or both of the two you like and compare to your 5600. Sell the one or two you like least.

as a beater, i think i would stick with DW5600E, it has current time in all modes, 24hr SWT and CDT, cheap to replace

but if you must, then i would go with the GW810H with the rubber strap (won't scratch up like black ion coated bracelet), multi band 5 atomic solar, 1000hr STW and 60min CDT (at least it has a CDT, CDT comes in handy more so than time stamp)

if you want easy to LCD, then you won't like the reverse LCD. get the reverse LCD only if you already assume its going to be hard to read (it looks cool though)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was very taken by negative displays when I first saw them, but if I only had one G-Shock it would definitely have a normal display. Even the best negative displays are harder to read than normal ones in certain light conditions.

My personal opinion of your other options are: if I could only have one G-Shock I would choose the DW5600 over either of those two - especially as it does all you want. If you're just a bit bored of looking at it, you could liven it up with a wire protector.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Stick with the 5600. If you think in terms of 'beaters' (I don't), then it's the most beaterish watch you can buy.

The other two watches you have shown are a bit 'aspirational' in G-Shock terms - but don't quite make it.

If you simply fancy a change, go for one of the other basic models. My choice would be DW-9052, but the DW-6900 and DW-6600 would be other options. The 2300 series fits the bill too, and is solar-powered. A left-field choice would be the G-8000.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Stick with your DW-5600E. It is infinitely more practical than those two other models.

Cool Re: Should I replace my G?

"Replace" is such a harsh word, I would use "complement", instead. Of your two choices, I would lean toward the muti band 5 (but that is just my preference).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

ANY 5600 over those two

I find that the reverse-LCD G's are harder to read, and often don't get much wrist time from me. I really like my normal-display watches. The MTG and other metal bracelet watches are a bit bulkier than the 5600, so if size bothers you, might want to stick with the more subtle 5600.

As for readability, I really like my G8000.
    Stuck in landlocked Atlanta.
    My divers:
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon White "Mad Cow"
    Doxa Sub750T Caribbean
    Stowa Seatime ProDiver (Black)
    Seikos: 6105, 6309, 7002, 7S26, and 6R15 Divers
    G Shocks: DW5600, DW6100, DW6600, DW9000, G9000 Mudman, G9100 Gulfman, MTG900, GW200 Frogman, GS1000 Giez and a dozen more!

Thread Information