SICK READABILITY - SEIKO EPD - what LCD would look like if it was perfect!!!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SICK READABILITY - SEIKO EPD - what LCD would look like if it was perfect!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SICK READABILITY - SEIKO EPD - what LCD would look like if it was perfect!!!

I recently got obsessed with Seiko's EPD display watches, reading and finding anything about them!!
    I love the technology although it has its drawbacks:
    - No EL - only LED-s that are too weak,
    - slow response so the watch doesnt have a stopwatch or timer as the screen couldnt catch up with the time....

BUT and it is a pretty HUGE BUT.....

....Just look at that readability.....

the contrast and the viewing angle are out of this world!!

As a lover of digital watches and a lover of high contrast ones like the old DW-5600C and WW-5100 the Seiko EPD line of watches is like p.o.r.n to me!!!

Not to mention they are incredibly well made - one guy in his review described the black plated watch as indestructable - in six months of everyday wear he didnt have a hairline scratch on his!!! Amazing!! Even after having a close encounter with a brick wall, the watch was intact!!
    Phantasm, Rocat, Cobia and 1 others like this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: SICK READABILITY - SEIKO EPD - what LCD would look like if it was perfect!!!

Get a Timex T-49000 - nearly a display as good as the Seiko but with all the advantages of a digital watch (timer, stopwatch, alarms, el-backlight etc).

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Re: SICK READABILITY - SEIKO EPD - what LCD would look like if it was perfect!!!

Or a Garmin fenix 3 GPS/ABC watch with its transflective MIP (Memory In Pixel) color LCD:

One can choose positive or negative, and analog or digital displays at will.

HTH
    Last edited by gaijin; December 29th, 2015 at 17:27.
    Marrin, lvt, brandon\ and 1 others like this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh yes, garmin is great too, I had a chance of seeing one in person, but Seiko is even more contrasty and somehow like real paper
    frhoads likes this.

And it's solar + atomic.

I love mine. But it is true that it doesn't have many of the functions that we have come to associate with Casio digitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrin View Post
    Oh yes, garmin is great too, I had a chance of seeing one in person, but Seiko is even more contrasty and somehow like real paper
    /Forrest

Weird blip at around 22 seconds. I thought it was the minute changing but it wasn't. But yes that is very nice!!

ePaper display is still long way to go in development. The slow frame rate is more than just a disadvantage, it is a major deficiency! Just because it looks good, we can't overlook it's incapability of displaying to 1 second or finer precision.

Like already mentioned, most of the Timex LCDs are decent enough, if you want something inexpensive. They have a close to white background, and provide pretty good contrast to the black digits. More so than most of the Casio LCDs. If you want something more expensive, than of course the Garmin's unbeatable so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    ePaper display is still long way to go in development. The slow frame rate is more than just a disadvantage, it is a major deficiency! Just because it looks good, we can't overlook it's incapability of displaying to 1 second or finer precision.

Like already mentioned, most of the Timex LCDs are decent enough, if you want something inexpensive. They have a close to white background, and provide pretty good contrast to the black digits. More so than most of the Casio LCDs. If you want something more expensive, than of course the Garmin's unbeatable so far.
    It acctually CAN display to one second precision, it's not so much about the refresh rate (although it is pretty low), as it is to power consumption!! changing the display drains a lot of power, so that is the main reason why they dont diplay seconds.
    You can display them at a press of a button (like those vintage LCD watches ) but because it drains a lot of power it is limited to 30 seconds after which it goes back to regular diplay:

Looks like it has quite a bit of ghosting (residual image from previous digit) in your last video. That's why ePaper display needs to be refreshed once a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    Looks like it has quite a bit of ghosting (residual image from previous digit) in your last video. That's why ePaper display needs to be refreshed once a while.
    Yes, ghosting is there, if you look closely you can see the ghosting image slowly going away with time, I am guessing it is due to little black particles moving slower to the back then others, at least that is my opinion based on how this technology works.
    here is an illustration I found the other day:

Name:  seiko_SDGA001_SDGA003_epd_watches.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  72.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information