Silicone Grease...

Thread: Silicone Grease...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Silicone Grease...

Hi there,

I'm intend to replace a new battery for my G-7700 and first time, i've read all the guide in here but one more thing that i can't get is the Silicone Grease to rub the rubber gasket. Its really hard to find it. Is there any other thing that can replace with the silicone grase like cooking oil? sound funny but i think it can preserve the rubber rite, please i'm noobie...i asked at the auto shop but they have the spray one..can i use it? thanks in advance...

Re: Silicone Grease...

I wouldnt use the spray. Try a hardware store and look in the plumbing section. I have bought it there... but the stuff I usually use is called dielectric grease. (I think).

Its available here in the US in about any auto store. I got a larg tube of it for about 3.00 and a little tub of it from a hardware store.

Just make sure its silicone based and not petroleum based. (someone please confirm I used the right terms there).
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    I wouldnt use the spray. Try a hardware store and look in the plumbing section. I have bought it there... but the stuff I usually use is called dielectric grease. (I think).

Its available here in the US in about any auto store. I got a larg tube of it for about 3.00 and a little tub of it from a hardware store.

Just make sure its silicone based and not petroleum based. (someone please confirm I used the right terms there).

Jeff is right it is dielelectric grease. you can get it at most auto parts stores also. ebay but the prices I saw were high. the lowest price I have seen is at auto zone. a small foil pack was 1.29 enough to do several watches

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sml

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    Eerrrrr .. what is wrong with a petroleum based grease? I think I may have just used some. It was Valvoline which probably wasn't a good start.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sml View Post
    Eerrrrr .. what is wrong with a petroleum based grease? I think I may have just used some. It was Valvoline which probably wasn't a good start.
    It'll degrade the O ring.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

try using those TAMIYA silicone grease used in those RC cars. malaysia doesnt have shops that sells auto parts. only the mechanics do and i bet the get silicone grease by the buckets.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar

Just wondering what is the purpose of applying silicone grease on the seal? To make sure the case back is more tightly closed?

Quote Originally Posted by raggyboy View Post
    Just wondering what is the purpose of applying silicone grease on the seal? To make sure the case back is more tightly closed?
    i want to say to prevent water from getting in and to extend the life of the O-ring?
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

It forms a tighter seal than metal to metal. Think about microscopic irregularities in the metal surfaces, and then imagine them being filled with a water-repelling substance.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar

Ah I got the idea now.. Thanks for the kind replies.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information