Silly question: DW-5000SP vs DW-5000-1
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Silly question: DW-5000SP vs DW-5000-1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LUW

Question Silly question: DW-5000SP vs DW-5000-1

Let's assume you don't have a DW-5000, you are a G collector and you like squares. You can only buy one and the price is equivalent. What would you get, a NOS DW-5000-1JF or a NOS DW-5000SP (the 20th Anniversary edition) ?

If you're a collector, the first G ever would obviously be an important asset to your collection, so it would be a no-brainer to prioritize the granddady G, right? But then, the 5000SP is a commemorative edition to celebrate exactly the original 5000, so in theory it's more special because it wasn't produced en masse as the original 5000. And there's the silly dilemma: get the original one or the commemorative edition of the original one? I have to get one, but what would be more desirable/important to have in my meager collection? I still have one or two spots for squares in my Pelicans, and I'm really undecided .
    Last edited by LUW; August 27th, 2013 at 16:00.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: Silly question: DW-5000SP vs DW-5000-1

If by DW-5000-1 you mean the one from 1983, DW-5000c as I know it, then there is no dilemma for me personaly.... 5000c is the one to get.

Because it is the original one and only in one edition... the anniversary editions that followed it aren't so special, because there are 3 (or 4?) of them.

And it has that sleek look of the bezel, without ''protection'' and ''g-shock'' standing out.

And it's from 1983, how can you beat that?

what about the color ? 5000SP is gold right ??? which color you are more likely to wear or look at ?

btw, don't worry about the Pelicans spot ! typical WIS will get a new case soon LOLz
    Chrisek likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

They look basically the same, the difference is the modules and the nicer box of the SP.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

The 5000sp is not gold. The 5025sp is the gold one

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    what about the color ? 5000SP is gold right ??? which color you are more likely to wear or look at ?

btw, don't worry about the Pelicans spot ! typical WIS will get a new case soon LOLz

DW-5000C is the original one from 1983 with the 240 module. Rare and expensive.

DW-5000-1JF is a 2001 reissue (a modern version of the orginal). Not as rare and not expensive.

DW-5000SP is a 20th anniversary edition with "project team tough" on the crystal and a special caseback

DW-5000SL is the spike lee version of the DW-5000, with darker graphics on the crystal and a special caseback and EL image

DW-5025SP is a gold toned 25th anniversary version with "project team tough" and a special LCD

DW-5030-1JR is the 30th anniversary edition which is part of the GSET, and looks similar to the 20th anniversary Project Team Tough, but with a different module and caseback.

My thought would be to go with the DW-5000C. My only hesitation would be...one never knows if that old module will suddenly shoot craps, or if the LCD will start bleeding/bubbling.
    Life is short. Drink good beer.

"Never try to outstubborn a cat.” -- Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

LUW

And that's exactly my main concern too... Invest a chunk of money in a nice piece but in a couple of years it croaks .
    I think the best option would be to go with the 5000SP.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    And that's exactly my main concern too... Invest a chunk of money in a nice piece but in a couple of years it croaks .
    I think the best option would be to go with the 5000SP.
    I agree. Now is probably a good time to get one, because there are likely some people selling them since the GSET came out. You can probably get a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Let's assume you don't have a DW-5000, you are a G collector and you like squares. You can only buy one and the price is equivalent. What would you get, a NOS DW-5000-1JF or a NOS DW-5000SP (the 20th Anniversary edition) ?

If you're a collector, the first G ever would obviously be an important asset to your collection, so it would be a no-brainer to prioritize the granddady G, right? But then, the 5000SP is a commemorative edition to celebrate exactly the original 5000, so in theory it's more special because it wasn't produced en masse as the original 5000. And there's the silly dilemma: get the original one or the commemorative edition of the original one? I have to get one, but what would be more desirable/important to have in my meager collection? I still have one or two spots for squares in my Pelicans, and I'm really undecided .

First of all, I want to own both of them! If I were you I would get the one you are leaning toward most. Then, get the other one next. If you still can't decide which to get?, get both of them at the same time. This is what collecting is all about after all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information